BMW V8 M62B44 NON-VANOS WITH G4 STORM

Kerem Erdag

Hi there,

The plan is to run bmw m62b44 non vanos engine on g4 storm. As storm has 4 ignition and injection outputs, igntion is going to be wasted spark and injection is going to be multi point group.

How should I wire in the injectors? If two per channel, should I pair the same ones just like the coil pairs for wasted spark? Or should I use one injection channel per bank? which one is better?

Do I get any benefit by using the cam position sensor?

M62B44 has electronic thermostat. What is the way to run it with g4 storm?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Kerem

Hi Kerem,

There are a couple of ways of doing this. The multi-point group injection mode fires the injectors in two groups, even numbered injector outputs and then odd numbered injector outputs.

So normally you would wire injectors for cylinders 1, 3, 5, and 7 to injector outputs 1 and 3.

injectors for cylinders 2, 4, 6, and 8 to injector outputs 2 and 4.

If you have 60-2 on the crank then there is no benefit in running the cam sensor.

It depends on how the thermostat works and how much current it draws from the ECU. Do you have any information on how it works?

Scott.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the immidiate reply.

Agreed for the injector wiring. and yes it has 60-2 trigger wheel. 

For the electronic thermostat I've found some info for the same gen 6 cylinder engine. There's a 12watt heater in the middle of the thermostat assembly, when you supply voltage it heats up the tstat so that tstat opens. Now I'm trying to figure out if it's on/off type or pwm driven. 

Thnaks,

Kerem

Hi Kerem,

If it is 12 watt, and receives a 12 volt supply then the ECU will need to supply 1 amp to control, this is within the limits of the Aux Output drives, so could possibly work.

You may have seen this link already:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/M62 Engine Details.pdf

It looks like the ECU applies +12V based upon certain temperatures. The link doesn't give much info on what the signal looks like, but reading the description of how it operates it looks like the position of the thermostat is variable, so maybe it is a variable duty cycle output from the ECU. If is is required to be +12V rather than ground that the ECU applies this could make the control more tricky.

Scott.

Hi Scott,

Honnestly I had not seen the doc. But it has given me the thought that heater is pwm driven. If it's a matter of driving the heater with +12V, a logic level digital output and an enough powerfull p-channel mosfett would do the job. Correct me if I'm wrong some of the aux outputs are logic level on storm.

Kerem