Assistance regarding updating firmware...

jigga009

I'm currently on firmware 4.6.9 on my V88 Vipec, and am looking to update firmware to something that will allow my V88 to communicate with my new digital display. I am happy with the way my car runs at the moment (aside from not being able to communicate with the dash). Mine is an early V88, and I have successfully performed the modification to enable the CANBUS communication with my dash. I only need to alter the CANBUS communication settings on the ECU in order to have it all working properly.

Having looked at the firmware updates available for the V88 as well as the compatibilities associated with them, I am unsure as to what firmware to update mine to. None of the available firmware updates appear to be compatible with the 4.6.9 my ECU runs. All I want out of this is to be able to keep my car running as it is now, AND communicate with my dash. I don't believe I'm in need of any other new features the updates may have (aside from ability to activate CANBUS).

This brings me to my questions:

1) Which firmware should I be updating to?

2) Is there a firmware that is considered "most stable" of the versions that can communicate with a digital dash? 

I have been doing some reading with respect to settings that require altering on the ECU in response to changes due to the firmware updates, and I already have an acquaintance who's engine blew due to his methanol injection kit not being commanded on by the ECU as it was prior to performing a firmware update, so this has me rather anxious about getting the process right.  This brings me to another question:

3)Do any of the firmware updates turn ON features that were OFF before the update, or turn OFF features that were ON prior to the update?

4) Is there an easy way to easily "zero out" any of these new features that come with the new firmware that could negatively affect the running of the engine if otherwise left untouched? Are there clear instructions as to exactly which functions we need to adjust (to turn on or off, and how to do so) once the new firmware is in place?

5) How are we to know what effect a new firmware has had on my ECU's ability to continue running the engine just as it did prior to the firmware update if you are making the change from a very old firmware version like I would be? 

I need to get an update done as I have already installed my AIM MXG, wired it up, etc, but I fear my confidence with regard to ensuring that my engine on the new firmware will work just as it did on firmware 4.6.9.

Thanks for your time and assistance :)

After doing some research I decided that I was only going to update my firmware to the point where it starts talking to my dash via CANBUS, so that means I'll be updating to Firmware 4.9.1 and likely call it a night there. The more recent firmware releases don't do much relevant to what I'm up to with my Subaru, and this minimizes my exposure to risk of things going wrong as far as keeping track of new functions/features, etc, and might negate the need for a retune.

I did some digging and downloaded a few of the firmware updates to do some reading on the release notes, and I now have some new questions prior to me making the leap:

1) I see that on firmware version 4.8.1, there was an "Idle Ignition Table" introduced. Now, I currently do not have such a table in my 4.6.9 firmware map, so I am wondering what values will populate this table when i perform the firmware update? Is it a table that can be turned ON only if desired?

2) On firmware 4.8.2, there was a feature called "Injection Timing Split" that was introduced. Some of the reading I have done on this indicates that it is an option that shows up ONLY if you have a rotary (which I don't). Is this correct?

3) On firmware 4.8.5, are some "ignition calculation improvements" - is this related to the wasted spark not working properly on the 2 stroke cars? On one of his posts, Ray Hall mentioned that none of the firmware updates would require re-tuning of the engine. If this is an improvement, why should it make my ignition unstable and timing behave erratically? Is it common for there to be issues with timing and ignition with this firmware update?

4) Can I update straight from 4.6.9 to 4.9.1 or do I have to update to 4.8.82 first?

Hi, I belive Simon covered your questions on the webchat today. However I'll answer them here also as they could be useful for others in the future. 

1) I see that on firmware version 4.8.1, there was an "Idle Ignition Table" introduced. Now, I currently do not have such a table in my 4.6.9 firmware map, so I am wondering what values will populate this table when i perform the firmware update? Is it a table that can be turned ON only if desired?

This table can be switched ON or OFF by the tuner after the firmware update. For your setup I recommend turning it off as you are happy with your current base-map.

2) On firmware 4.8.2, there was a feature called "Injection Timing Split" that was introduced. Some of the reading I have done on this indicates that it is an option that shows up ONLY if you have a rotary (which I don't). Is this correct?

This function allows every second cylinder in the Firing Order to have its injection timing trimmed.  This is designed to help prevent "charge robbing" that occurs on some Siamese port and irregular timed engines. This function only applies to Sequential and Sequential Staged Injection Modes. Set this to OFF for your setup.

3) On firmware 4.8.5, are some "ignition calculation improvements" - is this related to the wasted spark not working properly on the 2 stroke cars? On one of his posts, Ray Hall mentioned that none of the firmware updates would require re-tuning of the engine. If this is an improvement, why should it make my ignition unstable and timing behave erratically? Is it common for there to be issues with timing and ignition with this firmware update?

I think this was to do with triggering problems when trigger 1 or 2 would see a high tooth count and high engine speed. Use a timing light to check the timing is stable after the firmware update. I have not heard of anyone having problems when updating to this firmware version.

4) Can I update straight from 4.6.9 to 4.9.1 or do I have to update to 4.8.82 first?

Save your base-map before you update. This way you can always return to where you were by installing your old firmware and loading your base-map into the ECU. Then I would try updating directly to 4.9.1.

Scott

Scott, thanks very much for your assistance. I was successfully able to update the firmware on my V88. Sadly though, there does not appear to be a "compare" function in the VTS software to allow us to quickly find differences between the same map pre- and post-firmware update. I have sent you an email to your tech address in the hopes of an expert taking a gander at my map before and after just to ensure that I have not missed anything. The aim is to keep all my settings as was before the firmware update, since I was happy with the operation of the car prior to the update.

Thanks again for all of your help. Greatly appreciated :)