new Aem x series wideband

orlando bello

Hello guys @ link ecu its Orlando Bello finally back on the forum.

I have been trying the new aem wide band on a link g4+ecu  with the latest firmware and there in the lamda1 input there is a aem xseries calibration i have used that .but i notice a big difference in the afr reading vs my dyno .i have use the 0-5v singal from the aem x series module and the module also require a sensor ground .the difference is like this under wot my dyno show 11.5afr and in my pc link log show 12.7afr .is there any thing i should look at any suggestion.i have not try aem x series module on the CAN network jet because im missing the CAN port connector on the link g4+ storm ecu.

Hi Orlando,

Welcome back.

We used the calibration info from the AEM data sheet, but never had access to an actual unit for testing. You can verify if the problem lies in the ECU or the wiring/AEM unit by setting the AN Volt channel to 'Voltage 0-5v' and then checking if the voltage matches the lambda/afr the unit is reporting. The G4+ Black Storm no longer has the 6 pin round communications port, but the main 'B' wiring loom contains CAN 2H and CAN 2 L.

Scott.

Hi guys,

I've just checked this using my engine simulator and could find no problem. Here is the datasheet for the AEM X-Series:

http://aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-0310 X-Series Inline Wideband UEGO Sensor Controller.pdf

Page 6 has the volts vs Lambda table.

Here is a video of me showing the calibration at 0.50v and 4.50v. You can see how the voltage lines up with the calibration table in the datasheet.

AEM XSeries.mp4

Scott.

Hey guys, 

I have used both the x series gauge and inline controller in both analog and can setups.

Both ways have been just fine. 

In the past, I have had to fudge the numbers in the aem calibration for the the ecu to match the gauge.

I know that the aem ecus have a calibration gain that you need to play with to get the ecus to match the gauge as well.

Hope this helps.

If you fudged the numbers in the calibration to match up with the gauge how do you know the gauge is reading right rather than the output numbers being right and the gauge being wrong? I have messaged AEM about it and so far they asked me to double check the analog negative is connected to ecu ground which it is. Wait and see what they come back with

I would say that if there is a difference between what the ECU reads and what the gauge reads, and the voltage on the AN Volt channel has been checked, then the fault will either lie in the calibration from the data sheet or in the gauge (or data to the gauge from the controller).

Scott.

The analog output on the older analog AEM gauges was well known to be terrible, some of them didn't have a separate analog ground either which didn't help the situation.  So if that's the version you have then you will have to do some fudging and accept it will never be good.

I haven't tested one of the new x-series gauges, but I have used both the new x-series inline controllers (my dyno has 4 connected via RS232) and the older LSU4.2 inline controller and both of those have very good analog outputs that match the data stream.   

Edited by Adamw

So I realised I was being thick and that it was 1.55 lambda value being shown not 1.5v. So I measured the voltage coming into the ecu and what the gauge reads ties in with the voltage coming out to the ecu according to the tabe for my gauge. So therefore my problem must be with the calibration table. The gauge I have it AEM 30-5130, problem is im having trouble creating a cal table suit my gauge seeing as the x series one doesn't work with my gauge, it just constantly reads 1.55 lambda even though its receiving 1.2v which should be an AFR of 10.28:1 which should be a lambda of roughly 0.7. Even when I rev the car or lean the mixture off it still shows 1.55 lambda on the laptop while it changes on the gauge. I have used up all my linear tables for map sensor, ETG and boost control knob. How to I go about writing a table using tables 1-3 or 7-10? I can select volts vs lambda but then this gets confusing as the table in the AEM instructions is  in AFR not lambda?

link below is to the gauge I have brought, map attached

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-0oPwhLDPAhXLJsAKHfuBDKYQFgg2MAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Faemelectronics.com%2Ffiles%2Finstructions%2F30-5130%2520Analog%2520Wideband%2520UEGO%2520Gauge%2520Gasoline%2520AFR.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH_AQ_jMqlyXdRCczjh-YCId76Zrg&sig2=LJ7oHJJ7K4zJvhFZy1UYeA

shedling fitted, idle at cold upped.pclr

Hi Nettlez,

Looking at the datasheet you linked to the calibration is the same as the one I linked to earlier. When you use the X-series calibration can you give some examples of what lambda reading you get for what voltage?

Scott.

Hi Scott,

It never move off of lambda 1.55 no matter what voltage is coming in, it's been from roughly 1.25v to 2.5v and it never moved off 1.55 lambda when using a the X series cal 

Thanks for the log file, I think I may have identified the problem.

Your ECU is using firmware version 5.4.5, but according to our release notes we didn't add the AEM calibration until version 5.5.6. Because you are running a later version of PCLink (5.6.2) you have the selection available, but the ECU firmware does not know the calibration. Ideally PCLink should recognise that your firmware is not new enough and not show you the AEM calibration option. I'll ask the engineers if this is possible.

Scott

• 1 year later...

Same issue with a car I'm tuning. What the Link is seeing is about 2 points less than what the Uego Gauge is displaying is. I know the AEM's UEGO's have a gain of 2.35 to factor in and that may be the difference. I'll check the firmware version on this customer's Link and make sure it's the latest up to date version. If not I'll update it and then report back if that fixed it. Thank you for the support,

David