Coil Dwell time and Thunder ECU output

Anthony Parle

Hi Guys,

Link G4+ Thunder I want to run Bosch coils on plug and they require 73mA each to run them I will run 6 of.

Is that with in the ability of the Link ECU to run them.

Attached is the tech doc from Bosch in case I have read something incorrectly.

Single_Fire_Coil_P65-T_Datasheet_51_en_2777882763pdf.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

This might sound like a dumb suggestion but it maybe worth you guys letting the tuner adjust that number if they want.

The reason would be that at that rate a 4 stroke engine is doing 1,200, if the tuner could adjust it he would be able to check if the spark is still good at higher rpm.  If he suspect he has a problem with a coil it would be a method to check it.  In my case I believe the plug coils I have are not making the grade but can't confirm that.

Hi Tony,

Having things more controllable by the user is a good suggestion, there could be a number of times having the ignition test customisable could be useful. I will ask the engineers to consider adding this to the wishlist.

One difference that could have an effect between testing the ignition system at high frequency and actual running is the in cylinder pressure. Maybe some other tuners on the forum will add their thoughts on this.

Scott.

One difference that could have an effect between testing the ignition system at high frequency and actual running is the in cylinder pressure. Maybe some other tuners on the forum will add their thoughts on this.

Scott.

Scott is right about the effect of the cylinder pressure on the ignition system, you could be running 1 bar of boost without problems, and then turn the boost up and you start having misfire on the engine at the same RPM that you were fine before (but at less boost). So the cylinder pressure is a big factor in the ignition system.