Tuning for Load as TPS.

Anthony Parle

Hi Tony,

Yes, you are correct, when using the Fuel Equation Mode of 'Load=BAP' it is recommended to set the fuel table axis to TP(Main). Often the reason tuners will use this setup is because the engine has unstable manifold pressure due to mechanical setup (i.e individual throttle bodies, camshafts, etc).

You do not need a MAP sensor.

Make sure you are on our latest firmware (V5.6.3).

Is this for a naturally aspirated engine?

Scott.

I will add a little more info here since I have quite a bit of experience in this strategy.

I agree with ECU settings as per Scott's suggestions, but I would say nearly always it would be worth while to have a "MAP sensor" connected also.  In this case however you don't connect the MAP sensor to manifold, you connect it to the airbox (your FPR reference should also be tee'd to this same measurement point).  The ecu and FPR will then keep fuelling more consistent when the airbox is subjected to aerodynamic effects.  If airbox and general intake design is good I often see 4-10Kpa positive pressure (ie you will need 4-10% more fuel) on high speed sections so it can be a significant effect.

Out of (semi) curiosity, is there any benefit to connecting the MAP sensor with a fixed fuel pressure regulator where the airbox will never see a material aerodynamic effect (think Porsche 911 - rear engine)?

Or to put it another way, is there ever a situation where you'd consider applying some sort of MAP compensation on an NA engine (eg one fuel map with TPS as axis, one with MAP, then overlay or even switching (if that would work) based on conditions).

• 4 years later...

yes i try to set up this tps mode for fuel table1 and ignition table 1.  Notice you have to select the table and press x, or right click and select from the drops down menu...But im fairly new to this.  Link...

Not that i don't have experience in after market ecu, it just that i have not been doing this kind of work for the past 20 years.  So it very different from 20 years agoes.

3 hours ago, sklinchh007 said:

yes i try to set up this tps mode for fuel table1 and ignition table 1.  Notice you have to select the table and press x, or right click and select from the drops down menu...But im fairly new to this.  Link...

Not that i don't have experience in after market ecu, it just that i have not been doing this kind of work for the past 20 years.  So it very different from 20 years agoes.

It is not clear if you are asking a question.  It might pay to start your own thread if you are.