1G-GZE trigger issues

rory

Hi guys,

I have a 1ggte motor running a 1ggze cam angle sensor and Fury ecu. The cas is 24 tooth and single tooth for sync

At first, when cranking the motor I got a green yes for trig one and two and engine speed of about 150rpm under run time values. But the was no ignition output so could not check timing ect.

Now I have checked the output of the cas and it seems ok. although 24 tooth signal voltage is much smaller than the sync pulse voltage. I used an external oscilloscope for this because the trigger scope in the fury would not pick anything up. I'll attach images of the cas output during cranking and bench testing

After cranking for a bit the trigger error counter started going up steadily. So there obviously something I've missed. I have checked for correct wiring and checked continuity of trigger wiring, polarity etc. Checked through the settings many times.. I'll attach a pcl file of my setup 

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated

cheers

Rory

20161017_182835_zpsutax2pqy.JPG

20161017_180300_zpstzll4gct.JPG

Rory's 1G-GTE.pclr

Your polarity on the sensors is correct. 

Looked through the .pcl file and all the trigger settings look correct.

Only thing I would do is lower the trig 1 arming thresholds to suit.  You have 0rpm at .3v and 500rpm at 1v.

I would lower the 0rpm to .1 and the 500 rpm to .3v.

Then try cranking the thing again and see what your trigger error counter does.

On a side note, the air gap on the trig1 sensor may be too big.  Might look into reducing that in order to get the voltage up.

Really keen to see where this goes as I have a 1ggte that I will be installing in a project soon.

Yes I will try lowering the threshold values. At one stage I had them set on the minimum of 0.2 volts but i will try again.

I think the trigger scope in the Fury should at least be picking up the trig 2 signal. But it shows nothing at all. 

Hi Rory,

The 24 tooth and 1 tooth pattern from a distributor is very common on Toyota engines. As well as following Brad's recommendation to lower the Trig 1 arming voltages you might want to consider raising the Trig 2 arming voltage as the signal looks very furry and could be causing false triggers.

Try setting the tables like this:

Arming_tables.thumb.PNG.675c45edd8a813d4

Scott

Iv'e had a play around with arming voltage today with trig 1 set to what you have there Scott. With trig 2 I set it to 0.4v at 0rpm and 0.8v at 1000rpm. I had no trigger errors and the trigger scope was also seeing the signal. I will try the higher trig 2 arming voltage tomorrow. This setup seemed ok so I tried to check ignition and there wasn't any spark occurring. All coils work fine when using ignition test. What could cause this?

Rory

1ggze cas cranking speed.jpg

Do the coils have ignitors internally? If not, is there ignitors between the ECU and the coils? 

Glad to see Trig 2 is showing up on the trigger scope. The triggerscope image shows both triggers not being real high in voltage, is there any way to physically reduce the gap between sensors and teeth?

Scott

Ecu is unlocked. I've reduced the gap on the sensors and that appears to have solved my problems. I'm getting a better signal now and also getting ignition output! So hopefully I can get this motor fired up with no further issues. Trig 1 signal looks really good. Trig 2 voltage didn't increase as much and seems quite noisy. Hopefully its ok like that. Cheers for the help Brad and Scott.

Rory

1ggze_cas_adjustment.thumb.jpg.954439cf4

Good work, the trigger 1 signal does look a lot better. The noise on Trig 2 should be ok so long as you set the Trig 2 Arming Threshold Table value to suit. You want the level to be above the noise, but below the lowest peak voltage.

Scott

Hi Rory,

Glad to hear you are getting closer.  I see something odd in your pictures above and I am curious if you have an explanation...

In your first post you have pics from a standalone scope, For trig 2, the first photo showed 15V then the 2nd photo shows 45V p2p, now the link trigger scope is only reporting about 2v p2p.  What is causing the massive variation between these 3 measurements?

From the few visual clues we have (s/n ratio etc) I get the feeling the Link scope is reporting a more realistic value and there is something wrong with that original scope? 

Edited by Adamw

The first photo is at engine cranking speed but the second photo I was using a battery drill, rpm is higher. I was curious about the difference between measurements also. The standalone scope should be accurate as its our work one. It could be the way i set it up, but now I think about it, I used the self check function of the scope which uses a 3v square wave signal at 1Khz. Voltage measurement was correct , so not too sure which scope right. Might have to run some more tests