Vipec V88 versus Link Storm for 3SGE Beams

Beams AE82

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum and hope that someone will be able to guide me.

I am currently busy with an AE82 / 3SGE single VVTI Beams build for track use. Engine control wise, I would like to be able to monitor knock, Lambda and Control the variable valve timing, all in closed loop. I have been reading up on the discontinued Vipec V88 and the Link Storm and these 2 units appear perfectly capable to meet my needs.

I can purchase a V88, new, with harness for the same price as a Storm. What are the pros and cons of each of these units with consideration for my above mentioned requirements? How is the product and technical support on the discontinued V88? The V88 is an older unit but more powerful. Is it worth using a discontinued unit for it's greater capabilities?

Lastly, are there base maps available for both of these units for the 3SGE Beams single  VVTI engines?

Thanks in advance for any valued input.

If the G4+ Black Storm will do everything you require this is probably a better option as you have access to updated firmware. The main benefits the V88 has over the G4+ Black Storm is more inputs and outputs and E-throttle control.

Scott.

Thank you for your responses gentlemen.

I was referring to G4+ (Black housing) but what was not accurately accounted for is the current foreign exchange rate and shipping / customs duties. The revised pricing I have received places the V88 cheaper by quite a margin. Additional inputs and outputs are always a big plus and although possibly not on this build, I may require E-Throttle control should I run the Blacktop 3sge plenum / single throttle body intake setup in future. I suspect the V88 may be the good option.

Are there base/starting maps available for the 3sge Beams motors?

What version of windows is required to run the Vipec software? Will it run on Windows 8.1 or 10 or only 7 and prior?

Thanks again for your responses.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the BEAMS 3SGE is the 4th generation one, as found in the ST215 Caldina?

If yes then we do not have a base-map to offer off this engine.  But we do have one for our RS200 Altezza plug-in ECU. This is included with PCLink and uses the same trigger mode. This would make a good starting point.

If you get the V88 you will want VTS V4.10.2, this will run on windows from XP to 10.

Scott

Hi Scott.

Yes, mine is the Caldina ST215 engine. I have purchased the V88. I've downloaded the last revision tuning software and thus far it appears to work with Windows 8.1. 

I will only wire up and install in a couple of months as I have quite a bit of travel coming up. Nearer the time I'll be sure to call on you guys for guidance.

I do have a few more questions for now. Should I want to run an ethanol /petrol mix for drag use, would the ecu, with an ethanol sensor connected, be able to automatically trim the fuel map to suit if I simply drain the fuel and fill the tank with ethanol/petrol mix? Which ethanol sensor do you recommend?

Which knock sensor do you recommend I use?

I have a Zeitronix ZT2 wideband logger. Will it's 0-5v analogue output be a suitable input to the v88 for wideband closed loop tuning? I expect it should be fine.

Once again, thanks a mil for your input and guidance thus far. Much appreciated.

Rob

Hi Rob,

The travel sounds nice, hopefully for pleasure rather than for work.

VTS V4.10.2 will run on windows XP to windows 10.

On the V88 ECU you will use a 4D fuel table that will look at the current % ethanol reading from the ethanol content sensor, and then trim the fueling as configured. The ethanol sensors are normally installed in the return line of the fuel system, so changes in ethanol content can take a few seconds depending on how fast the fuel is travelling through the tank and rest of fuel system. Although there have been a few iterations of ethanol sensors on the market, they all pretty much work the same way and use the same calibration. Here are ones that people have used with our ECUs in the past:

smaller.thumb.jpeg.aa3e86fe214f9c2470244 Continental.thumb.PNG.52c414cf5b9b7630f5  Siemens_Ethanol.thumb.PNG.6c4fd1c6582e41

http://dealers.linkecu.com/ECS_2

If not using the OEM knock sensor that came with your engine, or if you have changed the piston diameter, I recommend using the 'donut' style knock sensor. The reason for this is that it is a 'widebad' type sensor that will pick up a wide range of frequencies, so is more likely to work with any engine.

http://dealers.linkecu.com/KNS_2

I'm sure the Zeitronix 0 to 5v output will work fine with our ECU. You will want to be sure you know the calibration of the output so you can enter it into one of the V88's custom calibration tables.

Scott

Hello Scott.

Thanks again for the very informative response. I do have the OE knock sensor as well as a donut type Bosch unit. When it comes to installation time I will make a decision on which to use. 

The travel I refer is work related so time away from home, and no race car progress!

Keep well.

Rob