1ZZ Smart coils on 2JZGTE (G4+storm)

jimbo

Have a car in with G4+ Storm, 3 channel igniter + bosch coilpack leads.

Wanting to clean the install up as owner going with new plenum and general tidy up.

Can the Storm control 1zz smart Coils (90919-02239) wasted, or at least run Wasted with a COP such as the 3UZ (90919-02230) (built in igniter)

Any other ideas?

IMG_6810.JPG

Smart Coils are a 5V TTL trigger, so not sure if G4+ Storm has a TTL ignition out and if it does can it drive 2 Smart COPS per channel.

I could build an external Driver board for TTL using 2N2700's driven by the G4+ but do not want to go down that road.

So other option is dumb coils like the (90919-02230) in Wasted

Just wondering what others have done

Lq9 chevy coils are getting pretty popular on the jz motors.

I'm running Toyota sienna coils on my 1uz with no issues.  very similar to the 3uz coils.

but I don't think that the 1zz coils are smart.  I just think that they are internal ignitor and similar to the rest of the typical Toyota coils.

http://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-articles/coilpack-info-guide

Lq9 chevy coils are getting pretty popular on the jz motors.

I'm running Toyota sienna coils on my 1uz with no issues.  very similar to the 3uz coils.

but I don't think that the 1zz coils are smart.  I just think that they are internal ignitor and similar to the rest of the typical Toyota coils.

http://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-articles/coilpack-info-guide

yeah brad bit from any research the 1zz and 2zz coils are smart type and are 5V TLL driven from most other ECU's

GND = Ground - BROWN
IGT = Trigger Signal (+5V) - DIFFERENT COLOR FOR EACH COIL
IGF = Spark event confirmation (leave it not connected) - BLUE
+12V - BLACK

unfortunately its the only one thats sits well on the JZ head.

are you running the 90919-A2007 Sienna coil?? and are they performing well in wasted spark??

The link will drive the 1zz &1nz coils fine, you can wire 2 per channel, direct to ecu.  I have used these many times.

If you're buying new, ensure they are genuine denso/toyota as at least here in NZ there are a lot of very nasty Chinese copies about. I had some come to me that sent a high voltage spike back out the trigger wire with every spark event.