Fuel Pump Control

Leonv33

Hi all just hoping someone can clarify this for me please.

The Fuel pump control setting in Aux outputs using the 2D Open Loop Table which has an X axis of  Injector D.C % only.

I am using the modelled fuel equation and my question is how can I relate the VE number in the #1 3D fuel table to the Injector D.C% number in the FP 2D open loop table?

If I was running traditional msec then its easy however I'm baffled by this one sorry.

As always really appreciate this forum!

Hi Michael,

The advantage of the open loop fuel pressure control is reduced current to the fuel pump, reduced fuel system noise, and reduced circulation of unused fuel (causing heating of the fuel). This fuel pump speed control mode should be used with a fuel pressure regulator. The regulator is what will actually control the maximum fuel pressure. This fuel pump speed control mode is also intended to be used with fuel pump speed controller hardware.

To setup the FP Speed table correctly you are going to need to be able to monitor the current fuel pressure, this could be through a fuel pressure sensor or a fuel pressure gauge.

You will want to hold the engine at a particular injector duty cycle and then reduce the current cell in the FP speed table until you see a dip in the fuel pressure. You now know the minimum FP Speed DC% required to achieve the fuel pressure that the regulator is set to. I recommend then adding some % to this value as a safety margin, how much you feel comfortable with is up to you. You will need to go through this process for each cell in the FP Speed table.

If you do have a fuel pressure sensor you might be better to consider using the close loop fuel pressure mode.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott,   regarding setting up the speed control, I will just use the 80Hz 33/66/100 D.C to keep it simple.

The PWM controller needs 100HZ which I can change in Aux outputs # FP Speed, however the controller D.C is regulated by the Inj. D.C .

How do I set this up when running a modelled fuel equation where I have no visible Inj. D.C?

Appreciate your help

Mike

Hi Mike,

Are you getting a screen like below with the odd units "%FF" showing?  If so I suspect this might just be a display bug and it will probably still work ok if you just pretend these are duty cycle.   

Capture.png

Hi Adam,

Yes it has x%FF, maybe x % full flow not sure.  If I use open loop the table, X is Inj Duty Cycle% and cannot be changed.

It is a mystery , well to me anyway. No doubt there is a very simple answer! 

Its not something I want to experiment with and must work correctly from the onset.

I now have a Pierburg intank screw pump to replace my old intank supply and external Bosch 044/surge tank.

The original 3 stage FPCM (r33gtr) would be great but it would not be durable and will fail with the increased load.

Just need to run the new PWM FPC the same way really without getting too elaborate.    

Edited by Leonv33

Yes it has x%FF, maybe x % full flow not sure.  If I use open loop the table, X is Inj Duty Cycle% and cannot be changed.

It is a mystery , well to me anyway. No doubt there is a very simple answer! 

The '%FF' is something that was implemented a long time ago, you're correct, it stands for fuel flow. It uses the injector duty cycle parameter.

How do I set this up when running a modelled fuel equation where I have no visible Inj. D.C?

The injector duty cycle parameter is still visible when using modelled fuel equation. You can view it on the Fuel tab of the Runtime values Window (F12 to open) or create a digital gauge on some spare screen space in PCLink (right click on empty space).

Scott