Kurofune on JDM Mk4 Supra Twin Turbo

Samurai Supra

Hi.

Seen the Kurofune, looks like the solution I need to map my stock turbo MK4 Supra Twin turbo. Could you answer some questions, I am not the most knowledgable on tuning so apologies for any silly questions.

I have the HKS F-Con adapter harness already. 

1. The F-Con is a standalone that operates as a piggyback, although it takes full control of the fuel & ignition. Does the Kurofune do the same?

2. Will the Kurofune allow me to keep the stock sequential turbo setup? 

3. How will the knock control work? Using the stock sensors?

4. Any other sensors to add? MAP, IAT?

5. I assume the stock TRAC ecu is disabled in using the Kurofune?

6. Can the Kurofune accommodate multiple maps?

If there are any other specifics related to using the Kurofune on my Supra would appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

Edited by Samurai Supra

Hi, to answer your questions:

1. The kurofune can operate as a piggyback ECU or a dedicated stand alone ECU, if using it with your HKS loom then it will be operating as a piggyback ECU. The Kurofune can control fuel and ignition.

2. My understanding is that the HKS F-Con doesn't control boost, so I'm guessing the factory ECU or a separate boost controller is currently controlling the boost. The Kurofune can continue this way. 

3. Yes, the knock control can work with the stock sensors or with aftermarket wideband knock sensors. If you have changed the bore of your cylinders I recommend fitting wideband knock sensors. Note that the knock inputs of the Kurofune are on the 8 pin expansion connector, so you will need to join these onto the knock signal wires of the ECU loom.

4. It looks like there is a MAP sensor input to the OEM ECU on pin B62, the Kurofune can use this sensor. If you are running more boost than the sensor will support you will need to upgrade the sensor. It looks like there is an IAT sensor input to the OEM ECU on pin B45.

5. Yes you are correct, as the Kurofune will be controlling the fuel and ignition the factory ECU will no longer be able to limit the engine torque.

6. The Kurofune does not have multiple maps, but does have switchable tables. So one switch could be used to change fuel tables, ignition tables, boost tables, and MAP limit tables.

So far we have not had a lot of opportunity to use many of the HKS looms with the Kurofune. But the ECU is capable of doing what the HKS can and a lot more.

Scott

Hi, to answer your questions:

1. The kurofune can operate as a piggyback ECU or a dedicated stand alone ECU, if using it with your HKS loom then it will be operating as a piggyback ECU. The Kurofune can control fuel and ignition.

2. My understanding is that the HKS F-Con doesn't control boost, so I'm guessing the factory ECU or a separate boost controller is currently controlling the boost. The Kurofune can continue this way. 

3. Yes, the knock control can work with the stock sensors or with aftermarket wideband knock sensors. If you have changed the bore of your cylinders I recommend fitting wideband knock sensors. Note that the knock inputs of the Kurofune are on the 8 pin expansion connector, so you will need to join these onto the knock signal wires of the ECU loom.

4. It looks like there is a MAP sensor input to the OEM ECU on pin B62, the Kurofune can use this sensor. If you are running more boost than the sensor will support you will need to upgrade the sensor. It looks like there is an IAT sensor input to the OEM ECU on pin B45.

5. Yes you are correct, as the Kurofune will be controlling the fuel and ignition the factory ECU will no longer be able to limit the engine torque.

6. The Kurofune does not have multiple maps, but does have switchable tables. So one switch could be used to change fuel tables, ignition tables, boost tables, and MAP limit tables.

So far we have not had a lot of opportunity to use many of the HKS looms with the Kurofune. But the ECU is capable of doing what the HKS can and a lot more.

Scott

Hi Scott, 

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the Kurofune is the answer for me.

Just one clarification on point no 2:

The HKS F-con does not control boost, for boost control I have a HKS EVC.

The sequential operation I referred to is the way the turbos come online. The stock ECU has various VSV's that control valves allowing sequential operation of the turbos, 1st turbo below 3700rpm, second turbo comes online after 3700rpm.

With the stock ECU still in operation I guess this will remain in operation.

Some additional questions:

1. Can a wideband 02 sensor be added to the Kurofune? The HKS adaptor has accomodation for this, the HKS Knock amp could be connected to the F-con.

2. Can the Kurofune pull timing on detection of knock?

Thanks for the info.

The HKS F-con does not control boost, for boost control I have a HKS EVC.

The sequential operation I referred to is the way the turbos come online. The stock ECU has various VSV's that control valves allowing sequential operation of the turbos, 1st turbo below 3700rpm, second turbo comes online after 3700rpm.

With the stock ECU still in operation I guess this will remain in operation.

The Kurofune does not have a dedicated function for sequential turbo control. However if engine speed is what controls the solenoids for the turbos then it may be possible to use open loop boost control for one turbo and a General Purpose PWM table for the other turbo. This is nto something we have tried ourselves. Alternatively you could continue using the stock ECU with HKS EVC.

Some additional questions:

1. Can a wideband 02 sensor be added to the Kurofune? The HKS adaptor has accomodation for this, the HKS Knock amp could be connected to the F-con.

The Kurofune has 8 Analog Volt channels on the main connector, chances are these are not all used by the HKS loom, so an additional pin could be fitted and used for a wideband O2 controller signal. The expansion connector of the Kurofune also has Analog Volt 9 which can be used for a wideband O2 input.

2. Can the Kurofune pull timing on detection of knock?

Yes it can. A knock sensor will need to be connected to the expansion connector of the Kurofune for this to work. Also the knock control system will need to be configured.

Scott

A little unknown,

I the Kurofune could be set up with a speed signal out and the max frequency set below the speed cut.

It also has analog outputs which can be used to replicate a AFM signal or MAP signal and again by limiting the Max voltage will bypass the fuel cut.

Hi.

In the event I use the Kurofune as a standalone ECU (if I went single turbo and removed the OEM ECU), how would the wiring work? Do I just remove the stock ecu and plug it into the adapter loom?

Thanks.

It will depend on the functions that the factory ECU was still controlling. A piggy back is used when there are functions that the ECU is not able to control so the factory is needed to be retained to run these functions.

If say for example the factory ECU is controlling a E throttle then you would need to control this some how or modify to cable.