Trigger error

Josh T

Iv got an evo 9 with a wire in v88 that was running perfect till it had a motor rebuild. The only thing that changed was injectors. I get a trigger 1 error counter that goes up while cranking. The trigger 1 and 2 signal comes up as ok while cranking. I confirmed the crank trigger plate isnt on backwards. With a timing light on it comes up about 25-30degrees atdc when on 0 degrees lock, nothing should of changed and the trigger offset should be the same as before.

Any ideas?

If the trigger error only appears during cranking and is showing ok during running then it is probably not too much to worry about.  Just re-calibrate the timing and carry on.  However if you are still getting a trigger error during running then you will need to look a bit closer at what has caused it.  Looking at the very basic 2 + 2 trigger pattern on these, there is not a whole lot that can be set wrong.  Are you sure a trigger edge setting hasnt been changed?  My only other thought is perhaps something was "wrong" prior to rebuild (like the trigger wheel on backwards) and now it has been put back together correct.

I cant think of many explanations for the 30deg change...  My logic would say since there are only two teeth on the crank if say something changed with Trig 2 (say positon or trigger edge) then you would expect timing to move by one crank tooth which in your case is 180deg.  The Evo "teeth" are about 65deg "wide" so if you had a trigger edge wrong on trig 1 the offset would change by 65deg.  I dont have any other ideas but am just saying that 30 deg sure seems odd?