Link G4+ Atom & Innovate SCG-1 Query

MichaelR31

Hi, I've been looking to buy an aftermarket ECU for a Toyota 3RZ-FE (direct spark) engine and it looks like the G4+ Atom is perfect for my application, I was originally going to go with a Microtech lt9c but their email support was shocking and I'm glad they didn't respond now because I have discovered the G4+ Atom.

Anyway back to my question I am planning on buying an Innovate SCG-1 for it so I can monitor my AFR and have closed loop boost control and the SCG-1 seems to kill 2 birds with 1 stone at a very affordable price. I'm not very switched on when it comes to engine management systems so you will have to bear with me.

Can I wire up the SCG-1 wideband o2 output into the ECU so the it knows the AFR?

Can the ECU control boost using the SCG-1 boost solenoid or will I need to let the gauge do that itself?

What are the 2 Digital Inputs? It said "vehicle speed and logging switch" on the page, What sensor is needed to find out the vehicle speed or if I need to route the aftermarket speedo gauge through the ECU would that use one of my Auxiliary Outputs to get it to the speedometer gauge?

With the 3 Analog inputs I would be running a map sensor, wideband o2 sensor and for the 3rd input what would be the most useful? Throttle Position?

If I was to use one of the auxiliary outputs for a thermo fan switch would I need to run an additional temp sensor to the radiator as the engine temp sensor is threaded into the engine block?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MichaelR31

Anyway back to my question I am planning on buying an Innovate SCG-1 for it so I can monitor my AFR and have closed loop boost control and the SCG-1 seems to kill 2 birds with 1 stone at a very affordable price. I'm not very switched on when it comes to engine management systems so you will have to bear with me.

Note the SCG-1 is only an open loop controller - the atom can already do open loop control so no advantage using the SCG-1.  Also my experience with innovate widebands is not good - I would strongly urge you to look at other options.  After you have replaced the sensor many times you will wish you went for a better brand...  A CAN based wideband would be good for you as it wont use any of your precious analog inputs.  Link do a CAN wideband controller and the AEM X-series work well too.

What are the 2 Digital Inputs? It said "vehicle speed and logging switch" on the page, What sensor is needed to find out the vehicle speed or if I need to route the aftermarket speedo gauge through the ECU would that use one of my Auxiliary Outputs to get it to the speedometer gauge

A digital input is an input that can only sense "on or off" or pulsed type signals - not a variable (analog) voltage.  Most modern cars you can splice into the VSS (speedo pick up on gear box) for vehicle speed. - it wont effect your existing speedo. 

With the 3 Analog inputs I would be running a map sensor, wideband o2 sensor and for the 3rd input what would be the most useful? Throttle Position?

Yes, TPS would be the next priority.  If you use a CAN wideband it will leave you another spare. 

If I was to use one of the auxiliary outputs for a thermo fan switch would I need to run an additional temp sensor to the radiator as the engine temp sensor is threaded into the engine block?

No extra sensor required, it is standard practice to use the normal ECT sensor.

Thanks for the info, The Atom ecu doesn't have a CAN port does it? which means I would have to use analog.

I did see a few posts on some websites about problems with the Innovate widebands but they all seemed to be from 3-6 years ago so i figured they must have improved them.

Also what is the difference between the closed loop and open loop boost controllers? I thought that because it uses a solenoid to control the boost it can keep the wastegate shut until boost level is achieved so it makes full spool quicker.

Yes, the Atom has CAN - it is on the main connector.  

No, Innovate reliability hasnt improved.

Also what is the difference between the closed loop and open loop boost controllers? I thought that because it uses a solenoid to control the boost it can keep the wastegate shut until boost level is achieved so it makes full spool quicker.

The difference between open and closed loop is closed loop uses "feedback" and open loop doesnt.  In the case of boost control the feedback would be a MAP or boost pressure sensor, so basically in closed loop when the controller see's no boost it keeps the wastegate shut, once boost increases to near the set point the the controller uses the solenoid to adjust the wastegate and control boost to the setpoint.  With open loop there is no pressure sensor feedback - the controller just pulses the solenoid at a pre-programed duty cycle regardless of what the boost is doing.

Both strategies can work well when set up/tuned correctly and will control boost fine and give similar "spool up" speed.  Closed loop will generally give a more consistent boost level especially in situations where environment is variable - altitude, temperature, etc but can also take more tuning time to get it right.

The G4+ Atom does have a CAN connection through the main wiring connector.

ATOM_G4_plus_pin_out.thumb.PNG.083ad606a

An open loop boost controller will have a table (or tables) that control the wastegate solenoid duty cycle. It will look at the duty cycle it has been configured to deliver it regardless of conditions or changes.

A closed loop boost controller has the tables of the open loop boost controller, but also has 'Target boost' tables that allow you to specify the desired boost for certain conditions. The ECU will then manipulate the wastegate duty cycle to achieve the desired boost level.

Provided conditions don't change then an open loop boost controller will do a good job. However it does not have the adaptive ability of a closed loop boost controller. 

Scott