syncing base ignition timing on a 13b engine

ken1436215443

Here how I did mine... First I put the split timing map to -15 degrees then I locked the ignition timing to -5 degrees clamp the timing light to the front rotor trailing plug (top plug closest to the radiator). Check the timing and its out about 110 degrees timing mark is at the lower right. Once I move the timing back to the oem -20 degree mark the car run horrible. I wired the car using LQ9 gm coils rotary direct spark ign 1 to L1 ign 2 to L2 ign 3 to T1 ign 4 to T2. The car run and idle fine without syncing the ignition not sure what I did wrong!

IMAG1982.jpg

Hi Ken,

Have you double checked that your timing mark is actually correct?  Even though the timing light should have been on leading #1 as Scott has suggested, I think that would only have made 15° difference and you have much more error than that.  The only logical explanation that I can come up with for what you are observing is that the timing mark must be wrong?  I don't know all variations of these engines well but I do know on some you can get the pulley fitted 90° out.  A quick test is to remove the centre bolt so you can see the eccentric shaft keyway underneath, that should pointing "West" or "9 o'clock" when #1 is at TDC.

But  are you sure im suppose to check it on the leading and not the trailing spark? The oem is at 20 degree after Tdc

The Leading spark is the important one that does 95% of the work, all the commanded timing tables in the ECU refer to Leading so it easiest to use leading for setting the offset.  You can check trailing as well though if you like:  With your split table is set at 15°, lock timing to -5°.  Adjust offset so that timing light on #1 leading reads 5ADTC, then put timing light on #1 trailing, you should now see 20ATDC.