TTLink with DSG - CAN bus data

Sam_

Hi,

I'm going to be using a TTLink (already purchased) with a new engine build and considering a 7 speed DSG gearbox conversion at the same time. The original ME7.5 can work with a DSG gearbox as the data required is available via CAN bus, I'm just wondering if torque/load, TPS and vehicle speed over the CAN bus?  

Any help appreciated! 

Sam

I do not see why transmitting this data over CAN would be a problem. I have yet to try any of this. I do know that in some of the Cliff notes from Link ECU about the TTLink, It specifically says that the automatic transmission for that year is not compatible. So I wonder if the information was just not acquired. Simon / Scott can you guys chime in?

You will be able to get TPS and speed signals through the can bus.

On the factory auto/DSG models there is also a Torque output from the factory ECU. I don't think this is in our CAN stream. I can check with the engineers  when they are back after new years.

You will be able to get TPS and speed signals through the can bus.

On the factory auto/DSG models there is also a Torque output from the factory ECU. I don't think this is in our CAN stream. I can check with the engineers  when they are back after new years.

Thanks - that would be massively appreciated. I'd like to be able to use the Link with the DSG rather than revert to ME7.5 if I don't have to. 

I'm just wondering if torque/load, TPS and vehicle speed over the CAN bus?  

As far as I can see, the G4+ is capable of doing this with a user defined stream.

I think the existing "load (abs)" parameter would be almost directly proportional to torque output so you could probably use this to create the torque message.  I think you could then just use the CAN multiplier/divider/offset to convert the load parameter into the correct range of "torque numbers" that the gearbox expects to receive.  I have a hunch however it might not actually want just predicted "torque output" - I vaguely remember seeing parameters more like "driver requested torque" associated with the few gear shift controls I have seen. - But I reckon even that should be possible to simulate with the existing tools.  

So the biggest challenge for the OP will be finding all the OEM CAN ID's and message structure etc and then finding someone who understands enough of it to translate it into the G4+ template and that will likely incur significant time and cost. 

As far as I can see, the G4+ is capable of doing this with a user defined stream.

I think the existing "load (abs)" parameter would be almost directly proportional to torque output so you could probably use this to create the torque message.  I think you could then just use the CAN multiplier/divider/offset to convert the load parameter into the correct range of "torque numbers" that the gearbox expects to receive.  I have a hunch however it might not actually want just predicted "torque output" - I vaguely remember seeing parameters more like "driver requested torque" associated with the few gear shift controls I have seen. - But I reckon even that should be possible to simulate with the existing tools.  

So the biggest challenge for the OP will be finding all the OEM CAN ID's and message structure etc and then finding someone who understands enough of it to translate it into the G4+ template and that will likely incur significant time and cost. 

Thanks Adam. That's really helpful. I'll ask one of the DSG guys and see what they think. Will report back on anything I find.