No fuel getting into engine - Monsson

PJM

Recently installed a Monsoon into a fiesta RS Turbo this uses a common 36-1 crank sensor setup and I have custom installed a cam sensor to run fully sequential. The car cranks over fine, develops an rpm signal and I have spark and injector pulse, however there never seems to be enough fuel entering the engine. Basically i can turn it over indefinitely and it wont start but it does not flood the cylinders either.

Could it be I have my crank/cam setup wrong in the ecu or are there any injectors know to be incompatible for one reason or another? Also i tried to use the trigger scope but it seems to display no data even though i have an rpm trace and spark/pulse.

The car has run on these injectors previously although on a different ecu in semi sequential mode. 

The injectors are high impedance Bosch 701's

Edited by PJM

With high impedance injectors I would not expect any problems with being compatible the Monsoon. 

Have you tried increasing the master fuel number? 

Have you verified fuel pump operation and good fuel pressure?

If you can record a PCLog of you trying to start the engine and attach it with your base-map we can take a look. Here is a video on how to do this:

https://youtu.be/_P1LRANeO4A

Scott

Are you firing on the correct engine stroke for the ignition? If running 4 coils you could be firing 360 out and firing on the exhaust stroke.

Also another possible cause would be if the coils were wired with no igniter and then you have a very weak spark.

Thanks guys, will have have a look and get a log file over been busy with other things, its on wasted spark currently Simon so hopefully that wont be a problem, we are driving the coil directly from the ecu, which i assumed was OK is this the case?

In all honesty this is the first wire in Link I have done, worked with many other systems and usually the Ford Zetec coil can be driven directly from the ECU on Omex or Emerald although maybe its not the case with the Monsoon. Something to think about and look at anyway, thanks for the input Brad :)

Let me know if you find anything Scott, i probably made a first time error or errors somewhere.

Cheers

Jay

todd kitson start.llg

Todd base map monsoon.pclr

I think those coils do require an igniter to test just measure the resistance across the 12V and the signal wire. If Low resistance under 10ohms then an igniter will be needed.

There are a number of ECUs that have the igniters built in to them. It is not something we do on the universal ones.

Edited by Simon

Thanks for the files.

I noticed that the MAP reading is 8 kPa all the time. Looking at your analog volt inputs you have the MAP sensor set up on AN Volt 1. If you are using the internal MAP sensor (which I'm assuming you are), this is actually on AN Volt 5. So turn the MAP sensor off on AN V1 first, then set  AN V5 up for MAP sensor with the same settings as you had on AN V1.

An early version on our default Monsoon base-map had this wrong, and possibly this is how you ended up having the wrong AN Volt channel used for MAP. When correct the MAP reading should be ~101 kPa with the key on and engine off.

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

Hi PJM,
When online to the ECU with your laptop press the R key or the F12 key and this will put you into the RUNTIME VALUES SCREEN, scroll across the tabs at the top and look for the TRIGGERS and LIMITS tab.
Crank the engine and look on the screen for a valid rpm signal say approx. 200 - 250 rpm and trigger 1 and 2 should light up GREEN and say YES or NO.
The RPM will be in the top left corner.
Also in the middle below trigger 1 and trigger 2 it will have Trigger 1 error counter.
Crank the engine and check the data.
If you have no rpm signal obviously the engine wont run but neither will the fuel pump while cranking.
Try going to your aux output that drives your fuel pump , change the setting from FUEL PUMP to GP OUTPUT and set it to on.
Listen for the fuel pump it should come on and stay on until you select off.
Please report back with your findings.
Regards
Dave.

Just out of curiousity, Scott asked about fuel pump operation and pressure.

Did you ever check into that?  No fuel pressure will largely impact how much fuel makes it into the motor.

Hi Brad,  I have checked the pressure and its where it should be @3.5bar, fuel pump operation appears to be correct through the ECU but I have wired it to a switch just to remove the ECU from the equation for the time being. I have also run the injectors through a flow tester now and they seem match the bosch specs.

At this point I believe I have a problem with my triggers, I will report my findings back here.

Hi PJM,
When online to the ECU with your laptop press the R key or the F12 key and this will put you into the RUNTIME VALUES SCREEN, scroll across the tabs at the top and look for the TRIGGERS and LIMITS tab.
Crank the engine and look on the screen for a valid rpm signal say approx. 200 - 250 rpm and trigger 1 and 2 should light up GREEN and say YES or NO.
The RPM will be in the top left corner.
Also in the middle below trigger 1 and trigger 2 it will have Trigger 1 error counter.
Crank the engine and check the data.
If you have no rpm signal obviously the engine wont run but neither will the fuel pump while cranking.
Try going to your aux output that drives your fuel pump , change the setting from FUEL PUMP to GP OUTPUT and set it to on.
Listen for the fuel pump it should come on and stay on until you select off.
Please report back with your findings.
Regards
Dave.

Dave this looks like the info I need, will report back my results.