G4+ Extreme CAN coms with Racepak IQ3

eff xr6t

Possibly the dash is not set up to use this data set? The engine speed, MAP and TPS should all work.

If someone wants to send us an IQ3 we are happy to test this ourselves.

Scott

hi Scott. I have a haltech iq3 you can have a play with. Are you in Christchurch? I could possibly get a interface cable to borrow.

Paul

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, blaine@carmenaperformance said:

I managed to get a Haltech dash running with the Link but it had to be sent back to Racepak and have the V1 Firmware flashed back onto it. Never had any luck with the V2 Firmware.

1 hour ago, Peter Andersson said:

So you have it working with older firmware? I have tryed for  2,5 year now haha

Blaine's Dash was a Haltech branded item that doesn't use a Vnet adapter.  His comment wouldn't apply to you since your dash isn't a Haltech branded version and you are using a Vnet adapter.

• 1 year later...

Hi Adam, 

Sorry for Zombie posting this but had a question regarding the CAN structure and CAN IDs.

My friend makes a Gauge that was made for the Haltech originally.  Uses a CAN ID+N similar to the Race Tech above.

My question was, is there a way to address different CAN ID eg +1 +2 etc without needing to use a separate channel for each to specify the new CAN ID?

At the moment we are using 3 channels with separate CAN IDs and a user stream on each, then they have a single frame on each stream with the parameters.

We tried it with multiple frames on the one stream but the frames seemed to mix. So had to do above.

We managed to get this working with minor changes to his code but would be nice to get all the streams onto one channel, without needing to completely rewrite the audrino code.

Here is the gauge working with the multiple channels for a example.

Regards

Nick

2019-08-30 13_53_29-PCLink Engine Management - C__Users_nick_clewer_Google Drive_IS300_Scott's Map 0.png

3 hours ago, wastegate said:

My friend makes a Gauge that was made for the Haltech originally.  Uses a CAN ID+N similar to the Race Tech above.

What you are describing is a often refereded to as a "sequential message", this is where you have a base ID and each subsequent frame uses an ID that is incremented by some amount.  At present the only way to do this in Link in how you have done it - that is assigning separate channels/streams for each message.  The problem with sequential is there is no "industry standard" for the increment.  Some use increments of 1, some use 8 or 10 or 16 or even mixtures of these...

Note that Haltech is not really sequential, their first few frames look like it, 361, 362, 363, etc, but after 363 it jumps to 368.  

3 hours ago, wastegate said:

We tried it with multiple frames on the one stream but the frames seemed to mix. So had to do above.

This is called compound or multiplexed messaging.  Note you need to have an identifier in one of the bytes for this to work.  You set that up in the "frame ID" box at the top of the streams tab.

If you are interested there are a few examples of Arduino sketches linked here on the forum if you want to see how others have decoded this type of message.  Most use the arduino "switch/case" statement to interperet the frame into different channels depending on the frame ID.

Another option is to use the preconfigured dash2pro stream which uses 3 sequential ID's.  If there are any channels missing that you want you can just add another custom stream on the end.

• 1 month later...

We have a Haltech IQ3 but basically put the Haltech channels to one side and never used them and we actually helped Racepak in making the first CANBUS EFI interface for the G4.  It was previously basically a serial interface so you couldn't run the dash and have the USB tune cable in at the same time which is painful when you're on the dyno !!   This was all a few years ago when the G4 didn't have customisable CANBUS inputs/outputs.

Anyhow I digress.   What I'm after now is that we want to display some more channels on our IQ3 from an external CANBUS source that isn't from the G4+ and I wondered about using the built in Haltech channels as others have mentioned above.    I know they wouldn't necessarily have the right descriptions in the Racepak datalink software, but I don't really mind as long as I can get the data to display on the IQ3 since I can change the description there...…..

Just wondering if anyone ever got the Haltech CANBUS thing sorted ??   If not then I'll be happy to send my Haltech IQ3 and G4+ to you guys to see if you can figure it out ?    Also not sure what will happen if it see's 2 CANBUS streams (one from Haltech and one from Link ECU interface) but I think it should be OK...…. it's just a matter of that "handshaking" that someone mentioned that the CANBUS on the Haltech side needs.   The CANBUS device I have that's generating the data isn't configurable so I'm not going to be able to adjust that to do anything different, but I guess I can get the G4+ to read the CAN stream from my device and then output it in whatever format the Haltech wants to see ?

Any advice is much appreciated.   I know enough to be dangerous with this stuff, but it's not my daily bread and butter so not sure how complex what I'm asking is.

Fraser

Just in reply to the original posted question also...…….. the Racepak IQ3 Logger doesn't have any CANBUS capability so you need to purchase the Universal interface or a specific ECU interface to get the data to your dash.   The IQ3S has a build in CANBUS interface like the Haltech does so you only need a $ 50 cable to connect it up and you're all go.   You only need the more expensive interface if you're using the IQ3 Logger dash.

7 minutes ago, Fraser Simpson said:

We have a Haltech IQ3 but basically put the Haltech channels to one side and never used them and we actually helped Racepak in making the first CANBUS EFI interface for the G4.  It was previously basically a serial interface so you couldn't run the dash and have the USB tune cable in at the same time which is painful when you're on the dyno !!   This was all a few years ago when the G4 didn't have customisable CANBUS inputs/outputs.

Anyhow I digress.   What I'm after now is that we want to display some more channels on our IQ3 from an external CANBUS source that isn't from the G4+ and I wondered about using the built in Haltech channels as others have mentioned above.    I know they wouldn't necessarily have the right descriptions in the Racepak datalink software, but I don't really mind as long as I can get the data to display on the IQ3 since I can change the description there...…..

Just wondering if anyone ever got the Haltech CANBUS thing sorted ??   If not then I'll be happy to send my Haltech IQ3 and G4+ to you guys to see if you can figure it out ?    Also not sure what will happen if it see's 2 CANBUS streams (one from Haltech and one from Link ECU interface) but I think it should be OK...…. it's just a matter of that "handshaking" that someone mentioned that the CANBUS on the Haltech side needs.   The CANBUS device I have that's generating the data isn't configurable so I'm not going to be able to adjust that to do anything different, but I guess I can get the G4+ to read the CAN stream from my device and then output it in whatever format the Haltech wants to see ?

Any advice is much appreciated.   I know enough to be dangerous with this stuff, but it's not my daily bread and butter so not sure how complex what I'm asking is.

Fraser

How old is your Haltech device?  For the last 3 years or so they have been selling the IQ3S which has completely user configurable CAN.  Very painful to configure but you should be able to do whatever you like.

I didn’t get the read the full thread but I did want to give my input on my experiences I just had with my racepak. 

I have a racepak IQ3 street dash (has a can high and low on the 34 pin connector) I was having trouble with it communicating with my Link NS15+. It was actually communicating fine but my channels weren’t displaying from the ECU to the dash. I had to get the USB that came with my dash and I had to uninstall the software and reinstall the software but also you have to  download ALLL of the IQ3 dash configurations in the initial download. My problem was because I did not download the file that said something like “all other IQ3 configurations” that was on the USB. That file has the Link ECU configuration. After i reinstalled the software with all of the IQ3 configurations, all of the Link G4+ channels appeared when I configured both CAN settings on each device which was really easy considering I never had experience with any of this. You do have to make sure both ECU and Dash are updated to latest software I believe

hope this helps with your situation!

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a long time between posts, but our car is nearly ready to fire up again so wanted to investigate this further.

Before we do dig any deeper.........  obviously the first CANBUS is setup to use the Racepak Link ECU adaptor so I'll need to setup CANBUS 2 to talk to my other CANBUS device...........that obviously gets the ECU able to read the data from my new device, but then I realised I need the ECU to essentially translate that information and push it out in the Haltech V1 protocol that others have discussed....... is that even possible to have the Link reading CANBUS data and then sending it back out as something else ?

If not then I'm flogging a dead horse so that will end things here.

Hope that makes sense.........  I want to go       CAN device -> Link ECU ->  Haltech IQ3.

Yeah I know that it's not configurable, but if I can send data to the IQ3 to say the Haltech water temp channel, I'll just rename it to display a different name on the dash (which you can do).

What I actually need is though, to have a device on CAN2 to be converted and sent back out on CAN2 as I can't attach my device to CAN1 since that's used with the Racepak Link cable........and I'm assuming I can't physically connect my device to CAN1 because of that.

CAN1 is used by the Racepak ECU to IQ3 module to carry all the normal dash data, so since it's not traditional CAN wiring, but part of the module I'm assuming I can't really physically connect anything into that bus.   So that only leaves me CAN2 which will have the device I want to display on the dash and the "Haltech" interface built into my dash.

It might be that since I'm using the Link ECU to CAN interface that the Haltech side of things might also be being used and I wouldn't be able to send data to the dash on it's current interface and the Haltech interface at the same time.......might only be one at a time...............   I mean the physical connector on the back is not being used, but I'm not 100% sure as to how / where the data from the Racepak Link ECU interface is processing it's data.

Ahhh right............ wasn't quite sure.   I thought maybe the Racepack Link ECU interface was using some other way to deliver channels to the dash and that left the Haltech CANBUS interface open to use......... not to worry.    So I guess I might be better to look to drop the Racepak Link ECU module all together then and use CAN1 to talk to the IQ3 over the Haltech CAN interface instead and then I can use CAN2 to talk to my device and do the "translation" ?    I'll have a look at what channels there are and see.

Thanks for the replies so quick.........great support.

• 11 months later...