Relay pulsing after power down

Grant Baker

Hi

We have an Xtreme wire in running a fairly normal 4cyl engine. All fine - runs well and everything works as it should... until we turn off the ignition switch.

At this point the main relay and fan relays start pulsing away like mad. Off-On-Off-On etc.

If we disconnect the battery and reconnect they have stopped, until we turn off the engine next time, at which point it happens again.

It seems to be related to the ECU install as it didn't happen before on stock ECU, but can't see what is up.

An pointers?

It sounds like an ECU back feeding problem. This occurs when one of the outputs that the ECU controls is powered by a battery +12V instead of an ignition switched +12V. Are all outputs powered from an ignition switched +12V supply?

Scott

Edited by Scott

• 2 months later...

I've got the same problem with my Link G4+ Fury. 

Ive got Dbw throttle so wired the ignition switch and used ecu hold. I'm using injector 8 for the ecu hold so used wiring method two as per the manual. 

Ive fitted the correct diode and double checked it's the right way round between the ignition switch and ecu power. But when I turn the car off the main relay starts chattering. 

I adjusted the stall setting and that makes no difference. The ecu hold setting delays the chattering starting till after the countdown. 

Can anyone shed any Light!

It would most likely be one of the other aux outputs that is back feeding.  As a test you should remove the pins/wires out of all other aux outs (leaving only the ecu hold power aux connected), including any ignition or injector outputs that are used as auxiliaries.  If relay then behaves as expected you have 12v feeding back through one of those aux's.  To learn which one you can reconnect one at a time.

Thanks I'll double check that then. 

Maybe i can assist here - ive just been throught this myself.

I too used a DBW setup, and the ECU hold functionality.  

Is your ECU hold output applying the ground for your main relay?

I found the only way out of this - after disconnecting EVERY SINGLE IN/OUT to and from the ECU with NO effect - was to disconnect the ecu hold. Long story short - If i applied a ground straight from the body for example to hold the Main relay in - i got no chattering from the relays.  I then tried to isolate the ecu hold ground from the main ignition relay ground by switching a GOOD ground through a relay. 

Been about 1 month now - no issues. :)

• 3 weeks later...