Firmware update fail

Andi Semesta

My friend try to update to firmware 4.10.2 but process fail before finishing.

Try to reinstall, downgrade, uninstall / reinstall PCLINK software nothing work.

Disconnect ECU wiring and battery for one day........ then redo upgrade, reinstall...... not help either.

Anybody can assist?

ECU plugin G4, Evo 6.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Im not sure if this is your only problem, since I havent personally seen this problem before, but the error messages in your screenshots suggest it may be a windows privilege issue.

Is the windows user logged in with full Administration rights?  If you have admin rights then the only other suggestion I can make would be to start PCLink using the "Run as Administrator" command:  To do this, right click on the PCLink desktop icon, then choose "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.  Try the firmware update again.  If the update succeeds and you get to the "power cycle ECU" message then I suggest you not only turn ignition off but also completely unplug ecu connector (or disconnect battery) for a few seconds.  

P.S. it also might be a good idea to turn off any antivirus before starting update. 

"Is the windows user logged in with full Administration rights?"

User as admin.

Yesterday we try 3 different laptops, 2 windows 10 64 bit, 1 windows 7 32 bit and 3 different people.

We install many different versions of firmware.

Try to downgrade, reinstall nothing work.

I will try again with different laptops and take pictures.

Always show same message (as attachment).

04.jpg

Normally PCLink is installed in location C:\Link G4.  It appears from the error message you have installed in a non-standard location? C:\program files\Link G4\PCLink G4...?  Have you tried it installed in default location?

Below is the default install:

Capture.png

Ok, Even though you say you have tried different locations already, all of your screen shots above are showing the same wrong directory so I want to confirm if you get the same error message when the normal directory is used..  So one last suggestion...

Uninstall PC Link.  Delete any related folders/files that the uninstall does not remove. Delete whole C:\Link G4 directory.  Delete whole C:\Program files\Link G4 directory. (if you have maps or datalogs saved in these then make a copy somewhere first).

Re-install latest version in default C:\Link G4 directory.  Try firmware update again and if it fails please post a screen shot of the error. 

"Re-install latest version in default C:\Link G4 directory.  Try firmware update again and if it fails please post a screen shot of the error"

We will do it tomorrow.

We do not take screenshot when it fails on this directory C:\Link G4.

What Windows version should be used? 7, 8, 10? 32 or 64 bit?

""Re-install latest version"

http://www.linkecu.com/pclink/PCLink V4.10.2.1784 Setup.exe

Is it the latest version?

What Windows version should be used? 7, 8, 10? 32 or 64 bit?

If I had a choice I would probably say Win 7 would be the most reliable to try first - I cant remember if I have ever used it on win 10 but since the G4 software hasnt been updated since 2014, its drivers may not be well tested in win 10.

""Re-install latest version"

http://www.linkecu.com/pclink/PCLink V4.10.2.1784 Setup.exe

Is it the latest version?

Yes. 

Andi, sorry I have no further ideas.  Hopefully link techs have seen this one before and will have a solution.  I don't have an old G4 to try myself.

I suggest you use the "contact us" page to send a support request with a link to this thread for the fastest response.  Its Sunday here in NZ right now so Simon will be back tomorrow morning.

"Its Sunday here in NZ right now so Simon will be back tomorrow morning"

My friend send emails to Ross and Simon before I post the problem in this forum.

Their advises can not solve this problem.

"Have you tried to restore to factory settings then redo the firmware upgrade"

Do you mean "ECU Controls -> Restore to Factory Settings"?

Cant do this option.

It says ECU in boot mode and need to run Update Firmware.

Will take screenshot later.

"The problem is that you don't have read/write access to that folder.

How come all 4 different laptops, 2 Windows 10 64 bit, 1 Windows 8 64 bit and
1 Windows 7 32 bit don't have read/write access to that folder no matter where
it is installed?

We try to log with different users (admin and standard) not workable either.

"Did you copy the Link G4 folder and paste it to C:\?"

We do not copy "Link G4 folder and paste it to C:\".

We install software http://www.linkecu.com/pclink/PCLink V4.10.2.1784 Setup.exe
and other versions.

Then we select where Link G4 folder should be placed.

What needs to be worked out is to why you do not have the access to that folder to write the file to.

This points to it being a security setting or similar this could be due to windows security settings or maybe a anti virus program.

I have the G4 software running happily on windows 10 and windows 7 on another laptop unfortunately I have not struck this issue before.

There might be some cleaver IT types out there that might be able to shed more light.

The problem is that you don't have read/write access to that folder.

Did you copy the Link G4 folder and paste it to C:\?

Dave, It almost seems like this access denied error message is bogus and perhaps not a good indication of the root cause.  If the OP can install (& uninstall) PC Link then you would assume he must have write access to C:\Link G4.  Could it be something seemingly unrelated like for instance windows regional/language settings that are preventing this file from being named a certain way or not allowing certain characters etc?  Does that firmware file "tempqw" normally have no extension on it as shown in the error message?

Andi, another quick test you could try that might confirm if there really is any write access problem;  Make a blank/empty notepad file on your desktop, name it tempqw.txt. Next, right click on it, select rename then delete the ".txt" so now you just have a blank file called "tempqw" with no extension.  Copy this and try pasting it into C:\Link G4\firmware. If it pastes ok with no error message than that at least confirms your access is ok and might be another clue.  Delete that file after this test. 

"Could it be something seemingly unrelated like for instance windows regional/language settings"

We have this problem before when using ECUM*****.
Always display "This device is not able to work with US Windows version!"
At that time we use laptops bought in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, all fail.
It takes several weeks to connect ECU to laptop.

"another quick test you could try that might confirm if there really is any write access problem"

See attachment.

01.jpg

Test.jpg

Our problem is not firmware upgrade when installing ECUM*****.

ECU isnt able to connect to laptop via USB port.

We have this problem before when using ECUM*****.
At that time we use laptops bought in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, all fail.
It takes several weeks to connect ECU to laptop.

Our problem is not firmware upgrade when installing ECUM*****.

ECU isnt able to connect to laptop via USB port.

This is a different and un-related problem.  EMU lock their ECU's to the windows region where the ECU was originally purchased - for instance if you buy from Poland it will only work with Polish windows.  Link do not do this and any ECU should be compatible with any windows region or language.  My statement about region was really just to tease Dave in to "thinking outside the square" since it was starting to look like it isn't an access problem to me.   

I think you have now proven there is no access problem so I hope EngineeringDave has some other ideas. 

If the OP can install (& uninstall) PC Link then you would assume he must have write access to C:\Link G4.  Could it be something seemingly unrelated like for instance windows regional/language settings that are preventing this file from being named a certain way or not allowing certain characters etc?  Does that firmware file "tempqw" normally have no extension on it as shown in the error message?

Andi, another quick test you could try that might confirm if there really is any write access problem;  Make a blank/empty notepad file on your desktop, name it tempqw.txt. Next, right click on it, select rename then delete the ".txt" so now you just have a blank file called "tempqw" with no extension.  Copy this and try pasting it into C:\Link G4\firmware. If it pastes ok with no error message than that at least confirms your access is ok and might be another clue.  Delete that file after this test. 

Windows allows you to install programs to non read/write/execute locations, then when you try to run them they fall over. We see this a lot with people who install PCLink to Program Files thinking they know better than we do. You may copy and paste things in, around and out of Program Files, but programs are not allowed to read write here. For this reason I think this is still a simple permissions setting that these four machines happen to have set, I still have some investigation to do.

Andi, please:

1. go to C:\ and right mouse click on "Link G4", go properties.
  2. Open the Security tab, click on 'Advanced'.
  3. Take a screenshot of the window that opens and post it here or email it to tech support.

"We see this a lot with people who install PCLink to Program Files thinking they know better than we do"

PCLink installed at C:\Link G4 by default.

We change folders to solve problem since we do not know exactly what to do.

At least we have efforts not just asking/posting something without trying.

Good for us and not to bother other people with our problem.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Ok, try this.

1. Click "Change" next to Owner, type "administrators" then click "Check Names", it should change to something like "SATELLITE\Administrators", press Ok.
  2. Under Owners you should now see "Replace owner on subcontainers..etc.." check this.
  3. Press Apply.
  4. Click on "Disable Inheritance", when prompted tell it to remove all inherited permissions from this object.
  5. Press Apply
  6. Click Add.
  7. Click "Select a Principle"
  8. Type your username Verdana? , click check names, it should change to "SATELLITE\Verdana", press ok.
  9. Select "Full Control"
  10. Press Ok
  11. Press Ok again
  12. Press Ok again
  13. Try that.

What we've done is taken total control over the folder Link G4 and all the folders and files inside it, including the Firmware folder.

Let me know how you get on.