Fury to Racepak with 230-VM efivipec Vnet adapter

Adam Carver

I have had some trouble with my link fury talking to my Racepak IQ3 display dash

Followed the directions wrt the CAN setup in Fury and the help file

The dash is happy with the 230-VM it sees it and uploaded the channels works fine

I'm using fury can module 1 which I assume is the lower CUSB on the case

Now the issue I'm having is no data comes to the dash over the can

And when I plug the dash can CUSB it knocks out the PC link and ecu goes offline unplug it and it reconnects doesn't matter if I cycle power. As long as the dash is connected no PC link. Engine still runs fine though

One very odd thing I've noted is and I think is important

The Vnet module has a 3 pin connector that adapts from the CUSB on the fury to the V net standard flat 3 pin molex plug. If I just plug in just the CUSB cable and leave the molex connector disconnected that is part of the 230vm it still knocks out the PC link so is it a bad cable maybe I would think a cable not plugged into anything wouldn't be able to affect the PC link or am I overlooking something.

And I just did the new firmware update

From what I can see,the vnet adapter #230-VM EFIVIPEC is the old serial only adapter.  This is not CAN.  The VNet adapter you need if you want to communicate over CAN is 230-VM EFIUCAN.  

So because you are using serial you cannot have PC Link connected at the same time, you will have to disconnect the dash when you want to tune or disconnect the laptop when you want the dash to work.

You will need to set up the Link data stream like below and it should work.

upShiCe.png

Edited by Adamw

For anyone else looking to run similar setups with Racepak dashes and a link ecu. Don't purchase the Racepak display dash or logger dash that has the standard 5pin v-net connector and 8pin Deutsche connected on the back. If you purchase the Racepak STREET dash it has a can module already built into the dash that can be programmed to most new ecus and I have tested and confirmed it on my link G4+ extreme.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a thread about it in here http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/4970-racepak-iq3-and-g4-problems/

I allso had the Racepak guru Dick Koster looked at it on one of the Big race here in sweden

A lot of Guys have been trying to fix it

Short description how it works today

Watertemp is fine

Oilpressure =fine

Lambda can only show lambda not AFR

Map comes and goes in intervalls of 4 - 5 seconds

RPM  comes and goes in 4 - 5 seconds

Gear possition works

Regards  Peter

Ps , the quicktune problem have fixed it selfe with later firmwares so no probs there

Hi Peter,

I see you have CAN transmit set to 100Hz, our help suggests 50Hz for this dash.  Have you tried that?

As for the "AFR", our dash stream transmits Lambda.  If you want AFR displayed you will have to scale it at the racepak end.

We have many customers running these with no problems so it must be some set up problem.  I dont see anything wrong in your ECU settings apart from that transmit rate.  You are on quite an old firmware so you should upgrade to the latest 5.6.5.  Also check that your Racepak is on latest firmware.  I vaguely remember there was a problem with some of their early vnet adaptors but I'm pretty sure it was the serial versions and not the CAN version.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi  Boys , Just got my Dash back from service at Racepak  ( can module to )   and the problems is still there  . It works little longer now about 20 seconds and shuts down for about 1 - 2 seconds   ( the RPM display )

Tryed 50hz  doesnt work at all  tryed 100 and 200 no differens

Running firmware 5.6.4

Hi Peter,

All the settings in your map appear to be ok, I dont have too many other ideas.  If you want to attach your dash config file I will take a quick look over that too.  This dash/vnet module was quite popular so it has been proven to work successfully many times previously.  If I dont see anything wrong in your dash config would you be prepared to send your dash and Vnet cable down to us in New Zealand (or even to our UK office for forwarding to me)?

Hi Peter,

I dont see anything wrong in your dash config.  Im sorry I cant put many logical reasons to your symptoms, my feeling is leaning towards the Vnet module being faulty or programmed incorrectly (I know you already said its been serviced but I dont know what that involves of if it is tested in any way).  

Tomorrow when I have a bit more time I will give you a screenshot of a new can set up we can try with a "fake" RPM signal only transmitted to see if we can get any other clues.  

I had Racepak online  , remote help
They say problem at the Link side
But you can talk to Chris Havill at racepak

I allso tryed to get them send you the Can module for testing but no luck

They say its replaced with a new universal unit

I post this video to see if any outher users recognizes this problem

Hi Peter,

Can you load the attached map into your ECU.  I have set this up to send a continuous 3000RPM and 300KPa MAP signal to the dash.  You will not need the engine running - just ignition on.  Only these two channels will be live, nothing else will show.

Please let me know if your Dash reads RPM & MAP continuously with the ecu running this file (engine not running).  If that seems to work then next I want you to start the engine and check we still get continuous RPM/MAP (they will be fixed at 3000/300).

That will help us eliminate some of the possibilities.

Racepak-dash Test.pclr

Ok, thanks.  Here's another test file to try just like you did above, in this file I have made RPM and MAP live values (they will just count up/cycle automatically) and I have added in all the other channels to try to load up the bus more.

Run it for a few minutes with engine off, if that looks ok, then run it for a few minutes with the engine running.  Let me know what you observe.

Racepak-dash Test2.pclr