CAN or CANopener

Guest |491|

Hey,

It appears my dash is 100% CAN driven :? . No rpm wires going from ecu to dash, only can-h and can-l. My question is, can i use the CANBUS here. Will the rpm gauge work again, one would hope that the rpm message would be a generic one. Also it looks like engine temp is coming via CAN :? , speedo is coming via CAN via the ABS unit :? . Or is it time to throw it in the CAN

Jason

(Apparently ppl have had the old computer bosch ms3/me7.3.1 running these aim/racepak dashs in CAN)

The CAN bus port on the Vipec ECU does not have a CAN data Hi/Lo data signal at the moment. Only RS232 Serial data. Under development at the moment is a RS232 to CAN bus adaptor. This will allow many CAN devices to share this port. Also being developed is CAN to RS232 adaptors. This will allow many CAN and Serial based devices to share the one port on the ECU.

If your dash has a CAN bus support, then I would need to get me the data packet information and speed the dash expects to see. If you cannot get this information, then you may have to keep the original ECU for the dash to work, or replace the dash with a AIM, Racepak or Motec.

Ray.

I have a ELM327 interface which use to work with some freeware windows CANscanner on the CAN bus, but I take it you need something like etherpeek/wireshark dump of the CAN frames being sent. What would I need to do, to get this info to you.

• 4 weeks later...
I need the data packet format information, like what each bit/byte in the data is for. Also the speed the bus operates at.

Ray.

Hey Ray,

I have finally found the right CANBUS. It seems my car has 2 buses from the ECU, one of them go to the Body Computer (500kbit), the other to the ABS(500kbit), and another one which goes from the Body Computer to the Dash and other cabin stuff (50kbit). The 50kbit Bus is the one I have the RPM and Temperature gauges working. I am sending the following CAN frames to get the gauges working.

ECT

0x281 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x?? 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 (?? = A0 is around 70degree and looks like it needs to be pulsed every 50ms or better)

RPM

0x281 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x?? 0x00 (?? = 77 seems to be around 3500rpm and FF at 8000rpm pulsed at 10ms)

Ray,

I sort of envisioned this would be too much to ask of you, pretty much when I started looking into the CAN frames earlier. So my solution is not use ViPEC CAN-Adapter when ever its released, but to build my own. How do I get my hands on a RS232(Round Pin Plug) cable for the ViPEC that I can sew into my prototype CAN board? And do you have a data sheet or example code on your data coming from the ViPEC serial port?

Cheers Jase

[attachment=0]mycan.jpg[/attachment]

thanks for the link,

heres an update. Ive managed to squeze it into a nice little box with a 12v reg aswell. And have it running using a digital tach pin coming from the ViPEC. I would of gone straight to the ViPEC using serial ecu but am waiting to get my hands on the cable.

[attachment=1]IMG_0590.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_0592.jpg[/attachment]

Heres a demo of it working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-KUN7cI7rY

Today, I completed the ViPEC serial to Alfa CAN. I had to squeeze a MAX233 20pin IC in the box as well, its now very cluttered. Anyway this is good news for me as I now have the ECT on the dash working as well. I am sending the CAN infomation now on the C-BUS(500kbit) instead of the I-CAN(50kbit). Ill post some pics and vids soon

• 4 months later...
Guest |491|

Just an update, I've had a fair bit of intrest/and side work from this project. So I have taken it to a more of a product level.

Different configurations for the CAN interceptor can be made

2-6 x CAN (2,4,6)

0-1 x USB Host (Reading ECU via USB)

1-2 x RS232 (Reading ECU via RS232) or opt for 1xiPhone*(Not offical yet, Apple MFI is a pain)

0-2 x 0-1024 Degree (K-Type themos)

0-4 x Analog Inputs (For ejector seat, and heating)

0-2 x Analog Outputs (Speed/RPM pulse sensors stuff)

4680729457_f0890a664c_b.jpg

4681362042_19aab96b44_b.jpg

4681362292_59703f50b2_b.jpg

4624056970_86c8932f78.jpg

Also been using a iPod as a extra means of visual output

Guest |491|
so this is able to take the vipec datastream and output it to an Ipod to view ECU data?

Yes it can, in fact can take information from multiple CAN sources/RS232 sources/Analog Inputs and display/log them on a ipod/iphone.

"BUT....."

I've had to do this the unorthodox way, I have applied for the legit way (iphone MFI sdk http://developer.apple.com/programs/start/mfi/ ) and been rejected 3 times. It seems you need to employ army of solicitors and lawyers before they would consider me :(

• 1 month later...
Guest |646|

Hi Jason!

Congratulations for the great work! Keep up!

I am new to this forum. I already made the decision to buy a Vi-Pec V88 for my BMW E36 M3 turbo with SMG gearbox and your topic gave me hope.

Currently i am running a shitty piggyback just because the stock ECU is talking to the gearbox controller via CAN bus - with CAN high and CAN low. I've tried to disconnect them and the gearbox goes into limp mode with just 1st and 3rd gear - unusable. I am not satisfied with the piggyback, because i can not get the most of my engine and dicided to go Vi-Pec. Normally going for standalone ECU and throwing the original ECU (Siemens DME MSS50) would make me to convert to standard manual gearbox. Now i see that there's a way to simulate the CAN communication which makes me really happy, because i like the SMG very much, especially with 600bhp. :) How do you think, will it be possible to make the SMG gearbox happy with the Vi-Pec + your device. Maybe the action plan would be first to tap in sniffer-like device on the Siemens ECU <-> SMG controller communication so I see what exactly they are talking about and then try to replicate it with Vi-Pec + "CAN adapter"?

Are you willing to sell me one of your devices?

Ofcourse we can talk about this on E-Mail: borislav at lazarov dot BG .

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards from Bulgaria,

Borislav Lazarov

• 2 months later...

I am happy to report that with Jason's help, the tacho and various warning lights on the dash are now controlled by the V88.

The car is a VW Golf MK4 R32. If anyone has a similar project, please give Jason a call. He may be able to help.

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

Jason,

what is the cost of your CAN interface, including the iPHONE interface.

I have been using REV application with iTOUCH to view data etc on factory CAN networks.

It would be good to view ViPEC in this manner.

Can logging be done through the iPHONE or iTOUCH or iPAD as you can with REV application.

Can you email me with prices please.

I live in Australia.

Regards

Dave.