Solid State Relay > Fuel Pump

lostsoul

Hi,

Setting up a Surge Tank ... want the lift pump to come on after 500rpm and be run by a solid state relay so there can be some speed adjustment.

Can some one advise on the correct wiring diagram for this?

I have AUX2 set as GP PWM

Thanks in advance.

Ok this what I have ... 1 x Hella Solid State Relay with pins connected as follows: "87" = Fuel Pump  "86" = ECU aux2   "85" = n/c   "30" = switched 12v   ... the Fuel Pump is earthed to the chassis.

Problem is, as soon as the key is turned on the pump runs ... I want it run only if rpm is 500rpm or higher ... 2 reasons, 1 safety and 2 it is only a "lift" pump supplying a Surge Tank.

I am picking I have the relay pins connected incorrectly but can't find any info that works .... any ideas ???

This is how I have aux 2 configured.

AUX 2 setup.JPG

I personally would have powered the lift pump relay from the main fuel pump relay then get rid of the >500RPM condition.  That way the lift pump will at least still "prime" for a few seconds to ensure there is some fuel in the surge tank.  I would have thought if you leave the car sitting for a couple of weeks the fuel will drain out of the surge tank and it will never start...

The return line from the surge tank is at the top not the bottom so i cant return to the fuel tank. Not to mention most fuel pumps have a internal check valve 

This is the way i've setup mine using PWM lift pump. 

Lift_pump.thumb.png.1b1374ce28780fb1e009

Edited by Ducie54

The return line from the surge tank is at the top not the bottom so i cant return to the fuel tank. Not to mention most fuel pumps have a internal check valve 

Yes, I do understand how a surge tank works.  

Most lift pumps do not have a check valve, and most lift pumps are connected near the bottom of the surge tank.   In most installs I see the surge tank is mounted above the main fuel tank.  So the fuel in the surge tank will always want to travel "down hill" back to the main tank. The lift pump will slow down that travel back to the tank but I expect most would have enough internal bypass to empty the surge tank over a few days. Of course we are both making many assumptions here since the OP gave no info at all about his setup but I'm just trying to cover all bases.  I suspect most users that run their car everyday would never see an issue with such a set up, but for instance some race car that only goes out once every 2 months may be a different story...

I like how you have set up yours since the lift pump will still do a prime cycle.

I'm not going to argue the mechanicals and theory behind the surge tank. The OP was asking about wiring up soild state relays . No wonder why he went to another forum to find an answer. I tried to answer his question you did not, that is not a assumption. 

This is the way i've setup mine using PWM lift pump. 

Lift_pump.thumb.png.1b1374ce28780fb1e009

Thanks for that ... Tried it with pin 85 earthed, still no joy ... I have seen a post of yours on this subject using a SSR p/n SY4086 so will give one of those a try.