Honda J35 trigger pattern

blaine@carmenaperformance

How sure are you that those pictures do actually match your engine?  The reason I ask is we have a "j35 V6" trigger pattern in our bible here and it shows 12 teeth on crank and 4 teeth on cam.  I had a USA customer call me last night with a "j35 V6" and we got his running using the S2000 trigger mode (which is also 12T evenly spaced on crank). 

• 3 years later...

As far as I know we have not been given any information to make a trigger mode to support it.  We will need at bare minimum a 2 channel scope capture of the crank and cam.  Preferably a 3 channel capture including #1 spark if you have a running engine.

22 hours ago, Adamw said:

As far as I know we have not been given any information to make a trigger mode to support it.  We will need at bare minimum a 2 channel scope capture of the crank and cam.  Preferably a 3 channel capture including #1 spark if you have a running engine.

Okay. Mine isn't running yet, but when I get it close I will get a scope capture for you. Or, if I can find a running one I can play with, I will get a capture

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2020 at 9:01 PM, Adamw said:

Hi Adam, Do you need a running engine to get the required scope capture? The reason Im asking is my engine will be going in a jet boat project, I have an engine and factory wiring loom but it is not running yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for future refernce incase someone is looking at J35 setup.  I have a J35Z2 from the 2008 Accord, it has a 60-2 wheel on the crank, hall sensor is near the trans interface.  The J35Z2 cam pulley pattern is different - see the photo below - this runs a 3 wire Hall sensor with 3 long blocks and 2 short pattern.

I would advise looking in the service manual to determine the CKP and CMP sensor wiring and positions of sensors, the cambelt replacement procedure usually has a good representation of the pulley pattern.

J35Z2 cam pulley.jpg

Photos of cam wheels are no use to us, we need a scope capture from a properly assembled engine with both cam and crank (and preferably but not essential spark#1 as well) recorded together.  The phasing between the patterns of the two wheels and their relationship to TDC#1 is the important info that is missing.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite right Adam, a scope trace is required.  I posted the pictures to help demystify the code patterns for the J35 family and rule out anyone making an assumption that J35's are all the same pattern - I would imagine if you had a range of patterns to choose from a close fit could be determined by looking at the pictures.  The angle between each tooth on the cam pulley is 360/46 = 7.83 degrees so the photos can be a good filter for "sensible" pattern selection.

• 8 months later...

What pattern does your engine have?  Blaine's one in the first post had 24-1-1 on the crank and 3 teeth on the cam, this is now supported in G4X with the J30A2 trigger mode.  The J35 I worked on had 12T on the crank and 3 on the cam, this is supported with the S2000 triggermode.  

The only unknown is what Kinetic claims to have on his with 60-2 on the crank and 5 teeth on the cam, this will probably work with one of our existing 60-2 or generic modes but as yet no one has given us scope captures.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

also running in to the same problems i have a series 1 g4 atom trying to run a j30a4 but cannot get communication from crank trigger, 

is there a way of getting the j30a4 trigger on my ecu? also cant run the g4x software on my computer keeps saying a file is missing once installed.

thanks pat  

What pattern does your engine have?  

8 minutes ago, patmay said:

also cant run the g4x software on my computer keeps saying a file is missing once installed.

Are you using the lastest 6.20 from our website?  The missing dll file error was fixed quite a while ago from memory.

You wont be able to run that pattern with a G4 ecu.  You will either have to modify both the cam and crank wheels to something that will work or upgrade to a G4X.  For the crank wheel you could grind off all teeth except leave 3 evenly spaced, and grind off all but a single tooth on the cam.  

• 2 weeks later...

Correct, turn the engine by hand to TDC, mark the tooth that is directly under the sensor or just moving past.  Leave this tooth 2 more evenly spaced so you have a tooth every 120degs.  On the cam it doesnt matter too much, we want a single tooth and we dont want it to occur at exactly the same time as a crank tooth - preferable half way between two crank teeth.