USB not working with CAN dash connected

Crispin

I just finished hooking up the new Thunder ECU in place of the old G4+ Xtreme.

Everything seems to be working correctly and I can connect to it with the laptop but ONLY when I have the CAN cable to the AIM dash disconnected from the ECU.

If the CAN cable is connected PCLink cannot find or connect to the ECU. It doesn't matter if the dash is powered on or off.

The dash is displaying ECU data over CAN so the CAN connection is working.

I had this similar problem in the past when switching between 2 different G4+ Xtreme ECU's.

Very critical to get this fixed.

PC comms will be interrupted if the rs232 pins in the 6pin "CAN" connector are terminated to anything (even just wires that aren't connected to anything at the other end). So I assume you have a plug/cable with all 4 pins connected.

2 ways to fix it:  We sell the bare connector (part #CANF) so that you can connect only the 2 can wires. (You can also probably buy these LTW connectors locally from Mouser or similar)  Or you can use the 2nd CAN bus that is available in the main connectors.

2 ways to fix it:  We sell the bare connector (part #CANF) so that you can connect only the 2 can wires. (You can also probably buy these LTW connectors locally from Mouser or similar)  Or you can use the 2nd CAN bus that is available in the main connectors.

Mouser part # 523-BD-06BFFA-LL7001

I am having a similar issue with G4+ Extreme where it just wont connect to my laptop and everything seems correct ! car starts just fine and also i had it tuned already, but suddenly this issue occurred !

any tips on how to solve it ?

Adam, i am just trying to figure out a possible solution before i go ahead and send you the ECU. 

Thanks  

Edited by Sam BCNR33

I am having a similar issue with G4+ Extreme where it just wont connect to my laptop and everything seems correct ! car starts just fine and also i had it tuned already, but suddenly this issue occurred !

Adam, i am just trying to figure out a possible solution before i go ahead and send you the ECU. 

Thanks  

do you have a CAN or serial device connected to the round com port connector like the original poster here?

Thanks  

I am only using the can port/USB cable straight from ECU to my laptop ! 

Sam, are you the one that I connected to your laptop on team viewer a couple of days ago?  If so I think I already told you that yours is a hardware problem.  The ECU will have to come back to us for repair.  

Semi-hijacking this thread here hoping someone can shed some light on this issue from my own perspective and possibly clear it up for others in the future.

I just installed my EvoLink9 G4+ Plugin unit tonight (*girly screams of excitement*) and found it didn't want to talk to my laptop via the USB connection. It showed up in device manager with no issue but PCLink didn't want to talk to it. Digging around the forums, I have noted a number of places that state that you cant use the CAN1/RS232 expansion port (or even have it connected) AND the USB Tuning cable at the same time. Some of the posts were quite old but is this still a known and consistent issue across some of the ECUs? I have a CAN cable running off CAN1 to pick up a Link CAN Lambda sensor. It was late in the day so I have not fully diagnosed it yet. Just thought I would ask the question.   

Variables:

- Using the supplied USB Tuning cables and also purchased genuine CAN cables (#CANPCB and #CANDASH)

- I also have an XS Loom (#XSL) connected for flex fuel and IAT. 

- Win 10 and Newest release of PCLink (pulled a map out of a mates EvoLink4-8 unit a few days prior)

Cheers!

Semi-hijacking this thread here hoping someone can shed some light on this issue from my own perspective and possibly clear it up for others in the future.

I just installed my EvoLink9 G4+ Plugin unit tonight (*girly screams of excitement*) and found it didn't want to talk to my laptop via the USB connection. It showed up in device manager with no issue but PCLink didn't want to talk to it. Digging around the forums, I have noted a number of places that state that you cant use the CAN1/RS232 expansion port (or even have it connected) AND the USB Tuning cable at the same time. Some of the posts were quite old but is this still a known and consistent issue across some of the ECUs? I have a CAN cable running off CAN1 to pick up a Link CAN Lambda sensor. It was late in the day so I have not fully diagnosed it yet. Just thought I would ask the question.   

Variables:

- Using the supplied USB Tuning cables and also purchased genuine CAN cables (#CANPCB and #CANDASH)

- I also have an XS Loom (#XSL) connected for flex fuel and IAT. 

- Win 10 and Newest release of PCLink (pulled a map out of a mates EvoLink4-8 unit a few days prior)

Cheers!

yes, your problem is the candash cable has the rs232 wires connected so it will drop out pc comms. We normally recommend the #CANF plug instead.

the easy fix for you is just move your CANPCB cable to the second CAN port (which doesn't have rs232 pins).

Note depending on how old your mates map was that may also cause you some problems.  In the latest revision Evo plugin some outputs were shuffled around to allow for ethrottle. Compare his map to our supplied base map. From memory it's mostly the tacho pin is now on ign 5 or 6 (used to be on aux 4 in older versions)

yes, your problem is the candash cable has the rs232 wires connected so it will drop out pc comms. We normally recommend the #CANF plug instead.

the easy fix for you is just move your CANPCB cable to the second CAN port (which doesn't have rs232 pins).

Note depending on how old your mates map was that may also cause you some problems.  In the latest revision Evo plugin some outputs were shuffled around to allow for ethrottle. Compare his map to our supplied base map. From memory it's mostly the tacho pin is now on ign 5 or 6 (used to be on aux 4 in older versions)

Thanks for the quick reply and also the concern for procedure Adamw!

Great news to hear its probably a simple fix. I could hear it triggering the fuel pump and the dash lights were all acting as expected so I did not really expect it to be a faulty ECU. I will swap my connector into CAN2 and be on my way hopefully. It would probably be well worth sticking this information into the CAN Information page for the various ECUs that its relevant to. I have not seen it written anywhere (I am more aware than most that its not possible to document everything (programming background) so I am definitely not judging!).

As far as my mates map goes, I am using that purely for reference. He has far bigger injectors than me so there was going to be some differences from day 1. We just have similar configurations otherwise and both run E85 so having a reference for cold start enrichment and the like makes life a little easier.

Many thanks once again. 

• 2 weeks later...