Turbo Speed Input: G4+ Thunder DI 11-16

Jar

• 4 weeks later...

I have a limited understanding in IC's and am not really sure what to make of the diagrams on the first page. I understand that this IC is used to reduce the frequency to something under the 500hz limit that the non-thunder ECU's can handle however the wiring side is what i need help with.

I understand that pin Q5 is the ÷10 output that gets fed into the ECU's DI input.

+5VDC from ECU sensor power supply goes to which pin on the IC?
Turbo speed sensor original output goes to what pin on the IC?
Does the IC need power earth or sensor earth fed into it and on what pin?

Thanks for you help mate, much appreciated.

> I understand that pin Q5 is the ÷10 output that gets fed into the ECU's DI input. Correct but also tied to Pin 1 - data

> +5VDC from ECU sensor power supply goes to which pin on the IC? VDD - pin 16
> Turbo speed sensor original output goes to what pin on the IC? D = Data - pin 1 Clock - pin 14
> Does the IC need power earth or sensor earth fed into it and on what pin? I'd ground to chassis, all the ones shown (Jam 1-5 and R for reset) and VSS

(edited as wrong...)

Edited by CamB
Wrong info!

Awesome mate thanks for the info.

I am running the 6758 which is the only 12 blade turbo in the EFR range so i could also use the divide by 8 function to get a better resolution.

150,000 (max RPM) * 12 = 1,800,000
1,800,000 / 60 = 30,000 Hz
30,000 / 8 = 3,750 Hz
3,750 / 8 = 468.75 Hz

Which is under the 'roundabout' limit of 500hz that the fury/extreme can handle.

• 9 months later...
On 11/29/2018 at 6:55 AM, CamB said:

> I understand that pin Q5 is the ÷10 output that gets fed into the ECU's DI input. Correct

> +5VDC from ECU sensor power supply goes to which pin on the IC? VDD - pin 16
> Turbo speed sensor original output goes to what pin on the IC? D = Data - pin 1
> Does the IC need power earth or sensor earth fed into it and on what pin? I'd ground to chassis, all the ones shown (Jam 1-5 and R for reset) and VSS

I know its an old thread but I am just in the process of fitting an EFR speed sensor and was reading Richards original post regarding the 4018IC.

In Richard's explanation he has the Clock (pin 14 of the IC) as the input and not D  (pin 1) as suggested here.

Just making one up and any help for an electronic newbie much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Quick question.  I have a Thunder and am using DI15 for turbo speed and my 1st log it didn't work.  Just want to make sure I have it wired correctly.

So I'm using

+5V
DI15+
DI15-

Are those the 3 I should be using or instead of DI15- should it be sensor ground?

turbo speed.png

• 1 year later...

Hi, is it possible to get the a Calibration for turbo speed higher than 10000? An EFR with 14 blade and EFR speed sensor with a 8 divider built in, will only output about 3800hz@130000 rpm, but not possible to get correct because Calibration should be 10500, and software limiting to 10000... Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Calibration.png

Turbo rpm.png

• 1 month later...

Maybe it would be possible to leave off the last zero and know that there is an order of magnitude difference in the reported speed (i.e. the result is 10x) - I'm not sure how the calibration number is used per se but some version of this makes sense to me.

I have one customer that reads in the turbo speed frequency as transmission input shaft speed and displays it that way on his Thunder.