RX-7 Sequential Twins

Hi guys,

I have a customer running stock 99 twins on his RX-7. I am trying to convince him to switch to a Link however he would like to retain the stock sequential twin setup. I know the plug-in claims not to support the stock setup. I was just curious if this was due to an inability in the hardware/firmware/software or if it is just because no one has spent the time to test and find a way to configure the outputs in such a way to make the stock setup functional. I find it hard to believe that the Link is not capable. I would certainly be willing to give it a go if it just needs some time put in.

Blaine Carmena

Carmena Performance

As Adam said it requires alot of outputs.

Here is a snippet on how another plugin ecu simplifies things to do it - 

They don't control the anti-pollution functions - ie the port air injection, the 3rd throttle disable when cold or the air pump. 

They drive the intake charge control valve and the secondary turbo control valve at the same time with the same output (both need to switch - one needs to switch on and one needs to switch off when the 2nd turbo is engaged).

They have a separate output to drive the precontrol output, and we drive the second charge relief valve at the same time so that the second turbo dumps into the charge relief when prespooling

They use 2 outputs to drive the oil metering pump (and hardware to generate the 2 complementary outputs for the 6 wire stepper motor). When the motor is to stay still, they PWM the outputs very fast to use the inductance of the coils to reduce the dissipation in the motor

They have only one thermofan speed (we drive them all together flat out) 

The A/C is controlled in hardware by the A/C input switch, whereas usually it would go through the ECU.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I have that same vacuum diagram Adam. It is certianly convoluted especially when you look at the rats nest under the plenum. That being said it certainly sounds doable as this car is not using all of the outputs. With the added outputs of an expansion loom I think I could get it going based on Marty's description. I figure if a Power FC can do it the Link should have no problem. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a hardware limitation before I attempted it. Thanks again guys.

Blaine Carmena

Carmena Performance

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The car I was going to do this with ended up going with a single due to the twins failing on his car. That being said I did recently get this working on another customers car. I wired it in as per your snippet Marty and it seems to work. I do need to do some tweaking though to see if I can tame the dip between primary and secondary. I'm going to try changing some engagement settings on the non-pwm solenoids to minimize the pressure dip as the pre-control seems to be doing its job well.