Switching Aux channels using virt aux and 2 timers.

brettr

Afternoon,

Have a S13 Link running a 50 year old twin charged injected Renault engine so this is not engine specific.

I wish to have the ecu switch a low side aux output for a duration of 1 second upon a set of trigger conditions (MAP,RPM,TPS).

At the same time a timer to start counting up to 9 seconds and if the trigger conditions are not met again before 0 seconds is reached then another (different to the above aux) low side aux output is switched for 1 second.

Obviously easy to set a virt aux as the trigger conditions - im just a little stumped how to then make trigger for only 1 second, start another count down for 9 seconds and then trigger the outcome if it reaches zero (and is not reset during that time to start the 9 second count again) - plus if the trigger occurs again during that period the first 1 second output should not be retriggered.

Prob not poss?

May i also just confirm does the S134 link come with the abiliuty to control and ethrottle? i cant seem to find exact docu that says a definite yes or no.

Ta,

First the easy one; The S13 plugin wasnt designed with E-throttle in mind so doesnt have any of the correct pins brought out to the main header, however if your plugin has the G4+ Xtreme top board the hardware at least is capable of E-throttle with some modification.  If you want to explore that more you can contact BGfzSPG.png and we can give you an idea of what it will cost.

The rest of your question will take some long head scratching but I dont really have time tonight.  I'll come back to take a look tomorrow if no one else answers in the meantime.

I wish to have the ecu switch a low side aux output for a duration of 1 second upon a set of trigger conditions (MAP,RPM,TPS).

At the same time a timer to start counting up to 9 seconds and if the trigger conditions are not met again before 0 seconds is reached then another (different to the above aux) low side aux output is switched for 1 second.

Obviously easy to set a virt aux as the trigger conditions - im just a little stumped how to then make trigger for only 1 second, start another count down for 9 seconds and then trigger the outcome if it reaches zero (and is not reset during that time to start the 9 second count again) - plus if the trigger occurs again during that period the first 1 second output should not be retriggered.

Prob not poss?

I can get this close to working.  The trouble is using the same trigger condition for Aux 1 and Aux 2 means they will both reset/retrigger if the trigger condition is met while the timer is running and I dont see any easy way around that.  I think it may be possible with a bit of imagination for instance maybe using a slightly different trigger condition for the second aux?

In this video example I have my initial trigger condition set for MAP>150KPa:  https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiYbYlZQuRHPjDmvqW5OrBSdo-pq

After my MAP climbs above 150KPa, aux 1 is activated for 1 sec, after a further 8 secs if no trigger condition is seen then aux 2 turns on for 1 sec.  If the map goes above 150 again during this time then aux 2 wont activate, but the timer will reset so aux 1 will reactivate - which I dont think you wanted?

Edited by Adamw

I can get this close to working.  The trouble is using the same trigger condition for Aux 1 and Aux 2 means they will both reset/retrigger if the trigger condition is met while the timer is running and I dont see any easy way around that.  I think it may be possible with a bit of imagination for instance maybe using a slightly different trigger condition for the second aux?

In this video example I have my initial trigger condition set for MAP>150KPa:  https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiYbYlZQuRHPjDmvqW5OrBSdo-pq

After my MAP climbs above 150KPa, aux 1 is activated for 1 sec, after a further 8 secs if no trigger condition is seen then aux 2 turns on for 1 sec.  If the map goes above 150 again during this time then aux 2 wont activate, but the timer will reset so aux 1 will reactivate - which I dont think you wanted?

I had a play at this puzzle as well, (quite the brain bender!!!!) and I THINK it can be done using 2 timers started at the same time, double checking the elapsed time of the second timer to invalidate activating the 1st Aux1 1 second pulse again during subsequent triggers...

But the 3 condition limit logic makes things difficult with only 3 virtual aux channels... At least that is what I found using a base map for the S13 plugin

I'm glad it wasnt only me scratching my head...  Since firmware version 5.6.5 there are now 8 virtual aux's available, they just wont show in the map since that was probably saved on an old firmware.  So attached is a S13 base map from the latest firmware which should give you 8 VA (just in case you didnt get enough brain fry already).

Nissan S13-14 G4+ Xtreme Plugin 5.6.5.pclr

Yes thanks B3 i was trying a similar solution using a second timer (triggered by virt aux 1 but as a on/off edge reset) and make that the 3rd condition for aux output 1 to prevent a retrigger - but it does your brain in as you say - and without being able to simulate a test easy makes it harder.

Would be nice maybe to think in future releases the ecu could have a simple bit variables set (on/off or 0/1 etc) which could become part of the condition equations etc.

Its to control an electronic exhaust but the electric motor on it has no position indicator, opening / shutting by reversing current - the process takes <1 second hence the 1 second pulse required but not required when already in that state.

Ta,

BR

and without being able to simulate a test easy makes it harder.

To make simulation/testing possible I would set up the initial "trigger condition" to be something very simple - like just TP only or a DI.  The hard bit to get right is the reset/retrigger so I would concentrate on that part of the strategy first then if you can get that working only add the extra complexity of the MAP/RPM to the trigger condition later.  

Without giving it much thought you may also be able to take some complexity out by considering items like "time delay relays" :http://www.boardrelays.com/Detail.asp?Product_ID=303.117_BU508TD  or "programable relays": http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Digital-Dual-Programmable-Relay-Control-Cycle-Delay-Timer-Timing-Switch-LED-/331922418783

Ta Adam,

I was using the dual programmable relay board above to do this already - one input from starter and one from a proximity switch operated at 80% pedal movement so it opens the exhaust on startup and also nearing full throttle.

Problem with the dual prog relay board was it doesn't recognise the re-trigger condition and restart the count so it will just finish its cycle and close the exhaust after the initial trigger.

All good though ill work on a solution.

Again I appreciate the help.