CAN Lambda Issues

sbn1979

I have followed to the letter the setup instructions but cannot connect to the CAN lambda, putting it in CAN1 slot just makes the ecu disconnect. I am then unable to reconnect, put it in port CAN2 and it doesn't auto disconnect but still cant connect. Any help?

To add rechecked power and rechecked wiring. 60 ohms on can line

Can you confirm the pinout for this plug? I'm using the white as can hi and the green as can low

Yes you have it correct.  Although that doesnt look like a link supplied cable?  If the yellow and grey wires are longer than about 200mm (even if they are not connected to anything) they will cause the PC comms to fail, so that is probably why CAN1 is not working for you. Most of the Link supplied CANPCB cables that I am familiar with are only about 100mm long so they dont normally interrupt the PC Comms.

CAN 2 should work though.

I assume Simon has already been through all this already but if you look at the CAN tab on the runtimes screen if the bus is happy you should have a nice block of green like below.  If there are any red errors there is something wrong.

a92HZeo.png

I just messed around with a test CAN Lambda device.  The only way I can get the same combination of errors showing like you have above is to either disconnect 12V, or disconnect one of the CAN wires.  All other things I tried like swapping H&L and incorrect CAN settings, ID's etc gave different types of errors.  So apart from looking at those two possibilities again I dont have many other thoughts.

I guess you could try connecting an ammeter inline to the 12V supply and see if it draws any current during power up.  Even without CAN connected mine pulls up to about 2.5A for maybe 10seconds when power is first applied.

When I spoke to simon I had already run power direct from a battery source and tested continuity on my can line which tested ok, the out put voltages though on the can line were constantly stuck at 0.34 and 0.1v no change no matter what, which he suggested replacing the unit.

I think i'm having the same issue on my RX7 S7+ PNP, I tried to connect the LINK CAN Lambda last night without any success I had the same issue with the AIM MXS dash. After playing with the dash config it became apparent the dash is connected as the configured channels were updating as expected (IAT, ECT, TPS etc.), but when configuring the CAN channels I couldn't get the PC link software to detect any CAN devices. I haven't yet started the engine to see if the CAN Lambda is indeed working although the PC link would have me believe it hasn't connected. I will check the CAN run time values, power & cable continuities as mentioned above tonight to see if errors are present.

OK so checked this today, latest firmware, 12v present, 60ohms on the CAN line. Non LINK expansion cables and only the CAN cables wired in. I haven't got to starting the engine yet so don't know if its actually working, reason I say this is because my AIM dash is connected on CAN1 which is reporting the same errors but the dash is working and values are updating. Also worth noting its identical to the errors seen above. I'll be calibrating the triggers tomorrow and hopefully starting the car so I'll see if the lambda is actually working.

CAN values.jpg

Any feedback why I'm seeing these errors, especially on channel 1 which appears to be working as expected? Is there anything else I can do to try and get this working? Assuming it's dead do I just return the unit for a replacement?

So engine started, "tuned" idle by ear, the CAN lambda is definitely dead. I'll call the supplier on Monday to discuss a way forward. Very frustrating times, tried directly wiring the power supply to the battery without any change as someone else had posted here that fixed their issue.

I would appreciate some feedback on the CAN1 channel errors even though it appears to work.

So engine started, "tuned" idle by ear, the CAN lambda is definitely dead. I'll call the supplier on Monday to discuss a way forward. Very frustrating times, tried directly wiring the power supply to the battery without any change as someone else had posted here that fixed their issue.

Please get in contact with tech support (or get your dealer to) for proper troubleshooting before returning it.  Even though it sounds like you already have covered most of what we will ask you to do, returns will not be accepted unless this has been done and recorded as a tech support case.

I would appreciate some feedback on the CAN1 channel errors even though it appears to work.

With the CAN system there is not only just the "data" that is streamed across the bus but also hidden from the end user is a complex acknowledgement, data validation and error checking regime.  From the errors showing in your screenshot above and the fact that the dash is actually displaying data I suspect the dash might not be sending back the proper acknowledgement message.  If your dash isnt on the latest firmware it would pay to do an update as some of the AIM CAN is quite buggy at present.

Thanks Adam, I will give them a call tonight.

Edit - I should have added that the ECU & Dash are both running the latest firmware. I'm wondering if the length of the CAN cable is causing issues?

Edited by Talkwrench

Just to close the loop.

I called Simon and we went through all the possible causes which didnt resolve the fault. I went back to the supplier to return the CAN lambda and with further testing diagnosed the fault to be the ECU. Should have a replacement board tomorrow. Thanks to all who have helped. Clint at Brands Hatch Performance has been brilliant even helping me out of hours to get to the bottom of it.