Digital Input State Via CAN

Talkwrench

Quick question, is there anyway to customise the existing Transmit generic dash CAN data?

I have an AIM MXS dash connected via CAN using the Transmit generic CAN data option. The stream inlcudes several parameters that arent applicable in a rotary engined application, can I change these and make use of DI channels? This would provide me more useable functions in the way of dash alarm functions. I've read the help files and noticed I could compile a user defined CAN format but was hoping this could be avoided by modifying the existing ones. 

Quick question, is there anyway to customise the existing Transmit generic dash CAN data?

You can't modify the preconfigured streams, normally you have to start from scratch. I do already have a configurable version of the generic dash stream that I can post here later when I'm at work. I think I also have some modified MXS configs that you can copy from.

Ok attached are a couple of files.  The .lcs is a configurable version of our "generic dash stream", it has been modified a bit (the 8 knock channels have been removed).  I have added DI2 status to the end of it so hopefully you can see how it is done. The .xc1 file is a matching custom CAN config for race studio 3.

The Link end I think is easy enough to work out by trial and error.  The AIM end is not quite so intuitive so I will post a couple of pics to explain the basics:

Click the custom CAN button, then import, then browse for the .xc1 file:

zG2w0h0.png

Once that is imported you can right click on it and select "open this custom can for editing" and you will get a screen like below with the whole message format showing.  If you look down at the last frame you will see the DI2 status that I have added.  If you double click on those DI2 bytes it will bring up an edit screen which is where you set the start bit, length, scaling etc.  

8leVWTk.png

Have a play yourself, if you cant get it to work then reply here with the channels you need and I will try to set something up for you.

Configurable Generic Dash - modified with DI2.lcs

LINK_G4+ Generic + DI_@20170524_021339_007952.xc1

Edited by Adamw
typo

• 2 years later...

Hi all ! 

I have the same type of problem, I want to use the oil pressure switch as an alarm for my aim mxl strada , wich need race studio 2 software.

the oil pressure switch is wire to DI7 on my ecu, and is used as a security check.

how can I send this information to my dash ?

thank you.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:15 AM, streetbike said:

Hi all ! 

I have the same type of problem, I want to use the oil pressure switch as an alarm for my aim mxl strada , wich need race studio 2 software.

the oil pressure switch is wire to DI7 on my ecu, and is used as a security check.

how can I send this information to my dash ?

thank you.

The old MXL was not very configurable in the CAN side and you cant change units or scaling of any of the preconfigured ecu channels so it is quite limited in what we can do.  I think we could probably do by substituting the "Trigger 1 error counter" channel with the DI oil switch.  If you attach your ECU and dash config I will take a look when I get a minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guy's

I'm very new to the CAN system, I run a MINI LINK in my BMW MINI and i'm going to for the LINK AIM Dash. When we have fitted these dash's in the past the Traction Control is always disabled as it runs through the OEM Rev Counter which we replace.

Is there any way to show on the dash:

When launch control is activated ( currently on DI5) Through an LED and Message

Send the Traction Control message to the dash. 

Can this be done? Many thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Adam,

I'm starting with a fresh file in the ecu, I've set up the basic dash settings and Launch Control.

Would it be possible to send a message to the dash regarding:

Launch control active

Traction Control deactivate.

When we run a dash in the MINI the Traction is always deactivated as the system runs through the original Tach which is normally removed.

Many Thanks

BMW Mini R53 G4+ Xtreme Plugin dash CAN.pclr MXS 1.2 Strada LINK.zconfig

Can you give a bit more detail about what you want to acheive with traction control, I dont understand what your actual problem is...  Do you want the traction switch to turn the TC on/off in the Link ecu or something else?  

When you fire the car up the traction control is always on ( if set up in the ECU) Most MINI's have a DSC/ASC button to turn it off. When you remove the rev counter that shows the light that its disabled, its permanently disables the Traction control.

So i was wondering if it can still be used on the OEM button and a message through the AIM Dash.

The info I have suggests the DSC on/off message comes from the "IKE" (instrument cluster module), is the "IKE" part of the "rev counter" that you remove?  If you open the runtimes screen (F12) and go to the CAN tab does CAN DIG #4 turn on/off with the DSC switch?

Try attached files.  I have set up the dash warnings in a couple of different ways so you can choose what you like best.    Traction is set up with a pop-up red screen and LED 2 will flash red.  Launch is set up as a message in the info line and LED will be solid amber. 

Display page 4 has icons that turn on/off with traction and launch. 

You will need the latest Race studio 3 and latest firmware in your dash.

BMWMiniR53G4XtremePlugin New CAN.pclr MXS 1.2 Strada 1320MINI.zconfig

• 8 months later...
On 6/30/2017 at 3:43 PM, Adamw said:

Ok attached are a couple of files.  The .lcs is a configurable version of our "generic dash stream", it has been modified a bit (the 8 knock channels have been removed).  I have added DI2 status to the end of it so hopefully you can see how it is done. The .xc1 file is a matching custom CAN config for race studio 3.

The Link end I think is easy enough to work out by trial and error.  The AIM end is not quite so intuitive so I will post a couple of pics to explain the basics:

Click the custom CAN button, then import, then browse for the .xc1 file:

http://i.imgur.com/zG2w0h0.png

Once that is imported you can right click on it and select "open this custom can for editing" and you will get a screen like below with the whole message format showing.  If you look down at the last frame you will see the DI2 status that I have added.  If you double click on those DI2 bytes it will bring up an edit screen which is where you set the start bit, length, scaling etc.  

http://i.imgur.com/8leVWTk.png

Have a play yourself, if you cant get it to work then reply here with the channels you need and I will try to set something up for you.

Configurable Generic Dash - modified with DI2.lcs

LINK_G4+ Generic + DI_@20170524_021339_007952.xc1

Hello @Adamw!

I searched this forum to solve my MXP read-display problem and fortunately came across with this thread along with your wonderful solution. If you don't mind, can you please add the needful CAN IDs to read my ECUMaster's EGT2CAN (8 EGT sensors) that i hooked up to my G4+ Fury? I tried several times with your guidance and it doesn't seem to work, (which perhaps due to my lack of skills :).)

Attached are the screenshots of my parameters both from PCLink G4+ and ECUMaster EGT TO CAN.

Appreciate your help in advanced, @Adamw. Really looking forward for your reply.

rgds.
E.

EGT To CAN.png

Stream 2 Frame 1.png

Stream 3 Frame 1.png

8 hours ago, cHeMiCaL_ said:

can you please add the needful CAN IDs to read my ECUMaster's EGT2CAN (8 EGT sensors) that i hooked up to my G4+ Fury?

It is not clear what you want to do, as you mentioned both a Fury and a MXP dash.  Do you want the EGT's in the ecu or dash? Or both?

The instructions for setting up the ECU master EGT are in the help file and the CAN stream files are in PC Link CAN folder.

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

It is not clear what you want to do, as you mentioned both a Fury and a MXP dash.  Do you want the EGT's in the ecu or dash? Or both?

The instructions for setting up the ECU master EGT are in the help file and the CAN stream files are in PC Link CAN folder.

sorry to confuse @Adamw, yes i want the EGT to been seen in both. Currently I can see my EGTs in my ecu, but i cannot see in my dash.

thanks for the help!