Help with wiring/ pinouts... 2jzgte and thunder

Cozcorners

Hey guys.

Have a 2jzgte and a thunder i wired in, but now on the dyno its having some ignition breakouts at very low boost, like 7-10psi.

I had a haltech previously and ran easily 30psi+. 

So i copied all my wiring from previous setup to the new link thunder pinouts and car starts and runs fine, its only once on dyno and under load and boost when it starts giving issues, so now im wondering if i have installed the wiring properly!

Does anyone have the pinouts of 2jzgte stock oem wiring where it goes to the ponouts on the link thunder ecu?

It would help me see if ive connected it properly and double check my wiring, as im now lost.

I will post later when i get home how i did my wiring exactly and maybe someone will see something wrong, but im at work now so hoping someone has the info and i can double check.

The dyno operator CRD in sydney who is dynoing it has been talking to link technical and were told the software setting seems fine!

Thanks in advance.

I think we have already done quite a bit of trouble shooting via email/phone/teamviewer with "Cozcorners" car and covered most of the basics already.  It is unlikely the pinouts that is the problem as the engine runs pretty reasonable under light loads.  We think it is more likely a bad connection somewhere and there were a couple of other suggestions made such as trying a known good (non toyota) ignitor.

Yep, you guys have been a great help and much appreciated, couldnt have asked for a better team.

We installed new 3x channel (2 of) link ignitors tonight (6 channel total).

Again, car starts fine, runs and idles fine, low load fine, and once that boost starts coming up around the 10psi range, it starts having the exact same ignition/cylinder cutout, so it wasnt the ignitor that was the cause.

What gets me is no other part of the wiring was tuched and looking at it all i cant seem to find any wiring problems. May need to start all over again...

Oh the joys haha

From all the reports i got from the dyno operator and even i believe his name is ross honor from link? And link technical themselves  Who was helping out me and the dyno operator could not fault any of the triggers while looking at the scope and data logs live as he was checking via remote link.

I changed to the recommended ignitors and it made no difference. Coils and spark plugs changed. Dwell settings changed. Disabled all other functions like traction control and boost control, fuel pressure logs shows stable.

Ill post my log when i get a chance.

Cheers

How does the trigger scope look when it occures?

Any limiters that you arent aware of maybe?

Fuelpressure good under load?

is it possible to check in the file that i posted to see if there are any limiters set? That i may have missed?

If everything looks good I would suggest you go back and check mechanicals, I had a very similar situation recently, we stuck an ECU on a very old turbo car and on boost it missed about after extensive testing we bore scoped the motor and found a clean piston, thinking the head gasket had starting leaking water we dropped the head off and found a cracked bore. I sincerely hope this is something simple for you but its very easy to get stuck in the 'the only thing that's changed' mindset.

A logfile would be invaluable here mate. That way we could see if this is something the ecu is doing on purpose or if it lies somwhere else.

Did you try different gears? Looks the same in all of them?

Different questions that hit me looking through the pclr..

Injectors are set up as peak and hold. That is the case on the car?

Coil dwelltime. Sane numbers?

Now THIS is a long shot. but... You have wheelspeedsensors. So im assuming tractioncontrol is going to be implemented.. I KNOW it is turned of in the software but maybe try to put some numbers in there that will not mess with you if you had it turned on. If you get my drift. Like even though a limiters "advanced mode" is turned off some of the advanced settings is still applied for some reason.. Again a dumb long shot but personaly i would try it (and probably gain nothing but still...). Could be a bug for all we know.

Any reason you are not using moddeled fuel equation?

Edited by Steve

some logs with stock ignitor and with link ignitors, hope these help?

thank you

danny log.llg

log with link ignitor.llg

A logfile would be invaluable here mate. That way we could see if this is something the ecu is doing on purpose or if it lies somwhere else.

Did you try different gears? Looks the same in all of them?

Different questions that hit me looking through the pclr..

Injectors are set up as peak and hold. That is the case on the car?

Coil dwelltime. Sane numbers?

Now THIS is a long shot. but... You have wheelspeedsensors. So im assuming tractioncontrol is going to be implemented.. I KNOW it is turned of in the software but maybe try to put some numbers in there that will not mess with you if you had it turned on. If you get my drift. Like even though a limiters "advanced mode" is turned off some of the advanced settings is still applied for some reason.. Again a dumb long shot but personaly i would try it (and probably gain nothing but still...). Could be a bug for all we know.

Any reason you are not using moddeled fuel equation?

hi,

some of these questions are beyond me, as I'm assuming my tuner should know them?

injectors are bosch 1250cc top feed stainless steel e85 compatible injectors.

1st and 2nd gear I tried myself, the tuner I'm sure tried other gears?

the dwell were at 1.4ms for stock ignitor but ive tried raising them to 2.4, once the link ignitor was on I also tried 2.4/2.5 coil dwell time.

the traction control method that you mention I haven't tuched as I left those settings to be done by the tuner as I didn't feel confident in doing those, but ill have a look and try see if I can understand what numbers and info I need to put in there, any chance I can get a safe info on what numbers and what not I need in that section?

thanks for your time, appreciate it.

Sorry thats ECU logfiles. Not enough data.

Need to hook up the laptop and do a pc log

First go into the pc logging setup and press "add all" You want to log everything that is available to log.

One way to disable tractioncontrol all the way (well more than it is allready) is to unassign the wheelspeedinputs for now.

Hey guys, weekend is coming and ill be able to do some pc logging for you to check out.

In the mean time, ive been looking through my setup in the pclink and noticed something strange, and would like your input/opinion on it.

Please see the image. I have bosch 1250cc high impendance 12ohm injectors and im told with high impendance it should be set at *saturated* drive mode? Now my one has all 6x as peak and hold and not only that, but the amperage on the peak and hold section on 2x (or 4x depending how you look at it) of the injectors are totally different!

What will this do and could this be my issue?

Much appreciated.

20170722_005756.jpg

I dont think running P&H mode on saturated injectors will cause any problems but those current settings on inj 5 & 6 have potential to cause some odd behavior.  I would definitely be changing all those settings so they all look the same as Inj 7 & 8.

ok, link posted and I think that should work, please check and let me know if all good.

I also have some success today, I went into the program and changed them all from peak n hold to saturated, and the amperage then became un-changeable so it was seen as 8A for peak and 0.1A for hold(this cannot be changed for saturated injectors). Stored to ecu and went for a quick drive.

I gave it a hit and easily went to top rpm and boosted fine to about 20psi with NO ignition breakup or any ubnormal issues, I was extatic! finally thinking YES, found the problem, but then just as I backed off and was going to attempt another hit, it starts misfiring constantly even on idle and cruise. drove it back to garage and found my ignition coil no6 dead( no spark out of it). I did swap it to another 2 different cylinders and the misfire followed(wanted to be sure it was the coil), so now I have a dead coil that I got to replace before going out again to double check and make sure it is fixed, but I'm sure it is now since it was a major difference and you can tell straight away as soon as I gave it, I was just only able to give it once tho before the coil died. ive set the coil dwell to an 2.4 to 2.3 dwell as was told to do so.

What I don't understand and am disappointed that my tuner didn't find this issue ( but neither did link ), obviously he played with the setting otherwise how did I end up with those mixed values???

Another issue is I downloaded that base map file from the links software, and I had a look and when you go to the FUEL>INJECTOR SETUP> injector setup it doesn't give you the "spanner" option to be even able to go in that section!? my question is, how do you get that section available? because after my tune, I am able to get in that section but not from the links base map! its as if you have to make it available by setting something up first? is this correct?

Edited by Cozcorners
added info

How does the plugs look like now? Maybe do a compressiontest.

You hit untuned areas in that run and went dangerously lean. Target is set to low 12`s but it hit mid 14`s AFR. Also i dont really know the engine but are 20+ degrees sane at 200kpa?

Do you have a knocksensor (or preferably 2 on a 2j) hooked up? I suggest you you at least turn it on  and  do some best guess settings so the signal can be logged even if the settings are not tuned correctly.

Probably asked before but why are you not having it tuned in modeled fuel equation mode? Not that the traditional is bad or anything but there are some advantages with the modeled. Like automatic correction based on differential fuelpressure as an example. Doesnt the tuner "like" it or something?

Its running on e85 fuel so im hoping it didnt do any damage, and it was a quick hit only.

I do have knock sensors x2 hooked up, but they have to be turned on and set up.

I dont tune my car, i gave it to a popular tuner but he couldnt find my problem and gave the car back to me for me to go through the wiring as thats ehat he thought was the problem, so he didnt get to finish the tune. I dont know why he was using traditional fuel mode! Maybe its his preference. I will be going to a different tuner now after all these issues.

Is 200kpa only 2bar/30psi ? Because the link when it says 20psi for example, you take away the absolute pressure 14.7psi and your only running 5.3psi, i dont know how you can set it up to just show the normal way without including the atmosphere pressure? 20deg on e85 is ok.

Thanks for taking a look, did you find anything abnormal in the setup that would cause my ignigion breakup? Did the log show this breakup? Or did eveything look normal?

Cheers

Edited by Cozcorners
Added

What I don't understand and am disappointed that my tuner didn't find this issue ( but neither did link ), obviously he played with the setting otherwise how did I end up with those mixed values???

Another issue is I downloaded that base map file from the links software, and I had a look and when you go to the FUEL>INJECTOR SETUP> injector setup it doesn't give you the "spanner" option to be even able to go in that section!? my question is, how do you get that section available? because after my tune, I am able to get in that section but not from the links base map! its as if you have to make it available by setting something up first? is this correct?

If this injector setup really does turn out to be your problem then I'd like to apologise for missing it.  There was at least a couple of us at Link that looked over your files and never picked that up.  I have never seen it cause any problem like you had but now with hindsight I can see there is a possibility that this could have been your problem.  I will be interested to hear if it is fixed once you get the tune finished.

The reason you dont see the injector settings in all of our base maps is because only some of our ECU's have P&H drivers.  The Supra plugin ECU doesnt have P&H drivers so that why that setting inst available in the supra base map.  You will only see those settings once a Map has been loaded into a Thunder/Xtreme/Fury ecu, 

If this injector setup really does turn out to be your problem then I'd like to apologise for missing it.  There was at least a couple of us at Link that looked over your files and never picked that up.  I have never seen it cause any problem like you had but now with hindsight I can see there is a possibility that this could have been your problem.  I will be interested to hear if it is fixed once you get the tune finished.

The reason you dont see the injector settings in all of our base maps is because only some of our ECU's have P&H drivers.  The Supra plugin ECU doesnt have P&H drivers so that why that setting inst available in the supra base map.  You will only see those settings once a Map has been loaded into a Thunder/Xtreme/Fury ecu, 

Adam, 

I have changed the settings to saturated on all 6x injectors, and replaced my dead ignition coil that i had(one of the coils died after only a few drives). Car started fine.

Took her out for a quick spin and she rev'd nice and clean with no misfire/breakup whatsoever, so i am 100% sure the problem is fixed and that is all i changed, just need to get the tune and mapping right (runs lean up top) but i will update that as well once done.

Yes, mistakes can be made and missed, but you guys were probably busy and in a rush so understandable, but appreciate all the help i got from you guys, maybe if you were to go through it the second time with more time/detail you would of picked it up.

Im just glad i picked up on it and was able to solve it, i was starting to pull my hairs out of what i have left lol. Now to unleash the features of this ecu 

Edited by Cozcorners

Yes i had my suspicions when i saw that. Peak and hold injectors are becoming more rare to see each day so i found it a little bit... strange i suppose. Hence why i asked..

Glad it worked out!

Edited by Steve