Retrofitting wheel speed sensor for link g4+ storm

2jzE60

Evening, im after a little advice....i want to run my 7 inch tablet to display all engine parameters including speed upto 200mph.....i can not use the cars stock abs sensors as it will have a massive spaz, so my question is, how/is there any "kits" or ways thats best to set up a sensor/pickup arrangement and wheres the best location to do this??? Front/rear hub? Probshaft? 

Would a 12 tooth trigger wheel mounted to say a driveshaft/cv joint and a GT101 hall effect sensor work???? Would it be best on a driven or un-driven wheel???

Thanks in advance

Depends on your car. If your ABS outputs vehicle speed or individual wheel speed over CANBUS you could set the ECU to receive this. You would need to get hold of either the canbus specs for your car or a sniffer tool and figure out what CAN ID and data types the ABS was outputting.

You can also buy or build frequency dividers using 4024 chips or the prebuilt boxes from dakota digital to take the ABS sensor pulses and drop them down to a frequency the link ECU's can read.

What car/engine/gearbox are we talking?  For many gearboxes you can get an electronic sender to connect between speedo cable and gearbox.  Another option is as you say propshaft or cv.  If your CV turns at wheel speed then up to about 12 teeth would be good, for drive shaft I would go 4 teeth or less.  

Driven Vs Undriven depends on what you want to do with it.  Gear detection works better on a driven wheel (for say boost by gear), but strategies like speed based launch control will work better on an undriven wheel.  

2jz on bmw e39 gearbox in an e60 chassis lol

Im basically going to use the tablet as my dash and leave the stock clocks defunked behind it, so want to be able to display speed on the tablet, and seeing as i am unfamiliar with canbus, i thought id go back to old school trigger and pickup. I guess easiest route will be to use cv joint/driveshaft. Ive seen a few trigger wheels on ebay for speed sensing etc, most appear to have 12 teeth so im guessing this is the "standard" if you like for speed related triggering

2 minutes ago, 2jzE60 said:

Ive seen a few trigger wheels on ebay for speed sensing etc, most appear to have 12 teeth so im guessing this is the "standard" if you like for speed related triggering

12 teeth will be fine if the teeth rotate at wheel speed, but beware if you are fitting to the "tail shaft" since that is about 4 x faster than wheel speed so about 4 teeth is the most you would get away with.

• 10 months later...

When you say 'teeth'... I want to fit a speed sensor, I am using a BMW E46 M3 gearbox. The output flange has 3 sectors, it would be easy to mount a hall effect sensor above this coupling to sense these sectors. However, each sector isn't a tooth but represents about 1/6th of a revolution so the sensor would be sensing equal periods of contact and no contact, three per revolution, would this work? I do hope this makes sense!! Thanks for any help

3 minutes ago, boatbloke said:

When you say 'teeth'... I want to fit a speed sensor, I am using a BMW E46 M3 gearbox. The output flange has 3 sectors, it would be easy to mount a hall effect sensor above this coupling to sense these sectors. However, each sector isn't a tooth but represents about 1/6th of a revolution so the sensor would be sensing equal periods of contact and no contact, three per revolution, would this work? I do hope this makes sense!! Thanks for any help

Yep, that should do it.  Is this in a E46?  I think we might be able to get wheelspeed from the ABS unit over CAN bus if it is.

57 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Yep, that should do it.  Is this in a E46?  I think we might be able to get wheelspeed from the ABS unit over CAN bus if it is.

Thanks for the reply, no this is not an E46, it does use E39 subframes but no ABS, I could get a signal from an ABS sensor but I understand that there would be too many pulses per revolution for the ECU?

Most ABS sensors are reluctors.  Reluctors need small, short, sharp teeth, I dont know what you have but your earlier description of "sector" doesnt sound like a suitable tooth shape for a reluctor. 

If the tooth is more than about 4mm long you will have to use a hall effect sensor.

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

Most ABS sensors are reluctors.  Reluctors need small, short, sharp teeth, I dont know what you have but your earlier description of "sector" doesnt sound like a suitable tooth shape for a reluctor. 

If the tooth is more than about 4mm long you will have to use a hall effect sensor.

Thank you for that,  it was just a thought, didn't appreciate the difference!