3uzfe e throttle

BulletFactory

Hi there

I've finally got my 3uzfe running in my is200. I used the 1uz vvti basemap and it started first time after i set up my inputs and outputs.

I'm very new to tuning / ecus and link software so be gentle! Haha

I have a aux 9 and 10 supply error voltage lower than expected for my e throttle. I can see throttle position (11%) but obviously my throttle body isn't working. I understand there is alot of setting up / calibrating to do, but i'd like to get this done before i take the car for mapping. Does anyone have any tips / pointers on how i can set this up? My accelerator pedal works and is calibrated. Is this error due to wiring (which i know is 100% correct and even switched the wires around to test) or is it because a parameter / pid isn't set correctly and is flagging this fault up?

Many thanks

David

If you are using a separate E throttle relay to supply power to Aux 9/10 then it is likely there is an ethrottle error which in turn causes the E throttle relay to turn off causing the Aux 9/10 power supply fault.

If you have the Aux 9/10 supply off the same feed as the A plug / main ECU power then it will be a wiring issue and the voltage at the ECU is not as expected.

Thanks for your responses guys. 

I've just rechecked my 3uzfe diagrams and found the etcs-i is powerd by a 10amp fuse. Because i'm quite new to this i presumed the that extreme ecu aux9 and aux10 would power the e throttle motor driver circuit. I think the reason i am getting low voltage is because i have no 12v supply into the ecu for these aux outputs. So my guess is i will have to add a 10amp ignition supplied fuse into my Link ecu specifically for the aux 9 and 10 to use. Is this correct? And if so what pin should i use in the link ecu?

Many thanks for your help

David

A couple of pages below from the help file:

Edit - added this comment later:  That Aux9/10 supply should ideally come from a separate ecu controlled "e-throttle relay" as shown below.  This is a safety feature so the ECU can shut down power to the E-throttle if one of the safety watchdogs are tripped.

MHXZefz.png

c6RmD3D.png

Good evening guys! 

So i've correctly wired in my +14v aux9 and 10 circuit with a relay, all works fine now. I've calibrated my APS, although sub and main both follow each other from 0% to 100% when pedal depressed, is that normal?

As for TPS, i have error 16: cannot reach target 98%. If i watch the auto calibration take place, the main only hits around 3% whilst the sub goes right up to almost 5%, this is on the main vs sub calibration stage that this issue happens. I guess its due to a pid i need to change. Any advice?

Kind regards

20171110_194829.jpg

I should have posted a shot of my pids aswell, i shall do that first thing tomorrow. As far as i know it doesn't have a clutch, no mention of it in my wiring diagrams and all 6 pins are populated and correct. When it calibrates the individual main and sub it passes them fine and i can physically see them go from 0% to 100% and 0.2ish volts up to 4.9ish, but i guess the main vs sub calibration compares the 2 and maybe there is some different between my main and sub PIDs, and if i watch the main vs sub calibration take place i can physically see that the main isn't going to as higher percentage as sub

I'm happy that i have the main and sub the correct way. I have VPA(main) going to analog volt 1 and set as TP main and VPA2 (sub) going to analog volt 5 and set as TP sub. Do you have any settings for 3uzfe or lexus / toyota throttle position that i can use to try out? I was reading in the help tab that most toyota / lexus TPS are "non linear" and the TP Sub number must be set to the TP main % that the sub number stops increasing at (typically around 60-70%. When it refers to sub number, is this the voltage in the TPS tab that i have to alter?

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply

I have attached my current map, and also attached a log which i took manually moving the throttle (excuse the jumpyness, i tried to be as smooth as possible) with e throttle turned off so i could track MAIN and SUB. It appears the MAIN is only reaching 80% and also alot later than the SUB reaches 100%. I presume this is why i am getting my error 16 - main cannot reach 98% target. Is this a case of changing parameters? As i read that on toyota / lexus e throttle bodies that one of the sensors hits its maximum at around 70%

Thanks

3UZ throttle log main.llg

3UZFE RUNNING MAP.pclr

Based on your log try these settings

main closed voltage: 0.95

main open voltage: 4.41

sub closed voltage: 2.56

sub open voltage: 4.93

sub 100 percentage: 60%

[edit]if that dip in voltage at the start of the log is not just an anomaly, and represents actual 0% TPS, then you need to use the value below. Does it look like the at rest position of the throttle blade is completely shut or does it look 2-3% open, and only fully closed when pushed/driven shut? Once you get it pretty close, can you run the calibration wizard to fine tune it?

main closed voltage: 0.66

main open voltage: 4.41

sub closed voltage: 2.21

sub open voltage: 4.93

sub 100 percentage: 62.5%

Ah yes sorry i forgot to mention that on this log i pushed the throttle valve closed, that dip is from the resting position to when i pushed it closed (this is with e throttle off), and then i opened the valve fully and shut the valve to its resting position. With it resting i would say its 6-8% open. I shall try those settings tomorrow and report back.

Thankyou for your time at looking into the log and your advice CJ

It is normal for E-throttles to default to a slightly open condition in the un-powered state.  The correct closed voltage values are the lowest voltage you see when forcing the blade shut.

I havent had time to look at your log but from your map it appears to me that the automatic TPS cal just hasnt worked well and I suspect if you manually input those values CJ suggests above you will be away.

Evening guys

So i tried the values CJ supplied and still no success. With those values the main and sub scale looks correct but the throttle valve fluctuates rapidly. I have attached a log of that here.

I spent over an hour changing settings to try and rectify this. In the end the only way i could stop the throttle valve jumping around is by decreasing my throttle settings by a substancial amount, mainly proportional gain. So now i have a smooth throttle, albeit with some slight DC voltage spikes, but they are so minimal i can't really see them in the throttle blade movement, only on the logging graph.

So my last issue now is fault 76 - Main and Sub tracking error. I get this when i turn my e throttle ON. I move the pedal through its travel a few times, and after approx 10 seconds i will get this fault. I presume it is because my Main and Sub aren't tracking each other close enough, but i've spent so long getting them as perfect as i can i'm not sure what else to do at this point. In setup mode the pedal and valve works perfectly and i can watch the sub and main near enough draw a perfect line over each other from 0% to 100% on the graph, but its clearly not close enough. And the auto calibration still fails also.

Any other suggestions?

e throttle jumpy.llg

I had a similar problem when initially trying to get my Toyota e-throttle calibrated, with it initially not calibrating and then when it did, I'd get the fluctuations. 

In my case it was solved by replacing the TPS, since then has been perfect. 

I am thinking that on a normal car the TPS only moves as often as the persons foot does, but with e-throttle where its controlling idle speed and other similar situations.
It's swiping over the same part of the resistor back and forth almost constantly so "wears out" quicker but the problem only becomes apparent at certain throttle angles.
I'm using Altezza e-throttle and apparently it's common for the TPS to need replacing.

The log attached looks terrible with out of control oscillation.  Do you have one after you changed the PID?  Also you havent logged enough parameters.  On the PC logging setup page just click the "add all" button at the bottom, that will give us better data.

The log that was jumpy was with default settings for throttle setup, and CJ's suggested parameters for throttle position sensor. I kept CJ's settings and just adjusted the PIDs. The only way i could get the throttle to stop jumping around is by reducing the PIDs right down. I will take another log with my settings as i have them now, with a smooth throttle operation and sub and main almost perfectly copying each other and will add all as you suggested and re-attach. This engine has only covered 42k so id be suprised if the throttle position sensor has worn out after such little mileage. It seems to me that now all i need to do is fine tune the sub and main to match closer. Currently when main is around 42% for example, sub is around 40%, so i presume this gap between them is too big and causing my trackig error fault

Thanks for your help

So, another 2 hours trying to get the e throttle to work but with no success. I managed to get the values close enough that it would then pass auto calibration, but will still get a tracking error fault 76 shut the e throtte down when i turn it ON. 

I have attached 2 logs with all parameters added. First one is in setup mode with the values as close as i can possibly get them, graph curves seem smooth and sub and main are tracking each other almost perfectly. 

2nd log is when the e throttle is turned ON. After a few seconds it shuts down and fault 76 occurs

I'm half tempted to just go manual throttle at this rate, a new throttle position sensor wont be cheap and i can't see it being the fix and the sub and main are reading perfectly. If there were imperfections in the sub and main signals then maybe, but seems as they are so consistant and smooth i'm doubtful. 

I've also attached my map so you can see how far i've had to reduce my PID's to get the throttle to stop fluttering

Regards

3uz full parameter log.llg

E throttle fault.llg

3uz throttle tracking map.pclr

Your PID settings look good enough - your target vs actual tracking is pretty accurate.

The numbers in your TPS calibration dont line up with the max/min voltages seen by the ECU though, so its like at clsoed throttle its actually reading -10% for example.

The biggest problem is that the latest log now shows voltages for main and sub both moving over a full range of motion, no 70% stop on the sub signal like you have configured. Try changing the tps sub percentage to 100% and get another log please.

If you look at the TPS voltages rather than the percentages,it shows TPS main as 0.66v minimum and 3.12v maximum. These should normally be your closed and open numbers. Your config has closed and open numbers as 1.051 and 2.972. The 100% value looks to match the steady state open throttle voltage of 2.97v, but it spikes above 2.97v up to 3.12v for a little bit each time you snap the throttle open. I'd suggest leaving open voltage at 2.97 for now but changing the closed number to match minimum value. At the closed end the throttle it has to get to several percent open before it will register any movement off the closed position. Try changing the TPS main closed value to 0.66v 

TPS sub shows 2.21v min and 4.93 max. Again your open value of 4.966V looks close enough, but your closed value of 2.698 means the sub sensor also wont see any movement until a few percentage points of movement. Try changing the closed value to 2.21v.

I also noticed something strange in your log - the minimum values are usually 0.66v and 2.21v, but  at 27 sec, 39 sec and at 45 sec it attempts to return to 0% throttle, but the voltages sit above the closed voltages. I'm assuming this is just because once it drops below the expected minimum it will stop driving the throttle shut, so its probably just physically at 2-3% open. Theres a chance though that your tps does have issues and isnt registering the closed voltages consistently. You'll need to change the closed calibration numbers and re-run the log with all values present to check.

Also please click the "add all" button when setting up the logging, many of the important parameters are still missing.  Watch the video again up on post#3 shows you how to set it up.

I just noticed the reason why your PID's are all very odd - You have Aux 9 frequency set to 115Hz, this should be at least 500Hz.  Please change it to 500 and retune your PID.  Make the TP adjustments that CJ suggests.  Do another log with all parameters recorded.  You are getting close.

Changed aux 9 frequency to 500hz, retuned my pid, just had to drop proportional gain to stop flutter. I've entered the values that CJ suggested, still comes up with fault 76 or 77 tracking error. I have attached a log with all parameters added now, apologies for that before

3uz e throttle map.pclr

e throttle new pids.llg