Ethanol Content Sensor install and setup

Beams AE82

Hello all.

I have just received my Continental Ethanol Content sensor. The VTS help files unfortunately do not really provide much detail about installation and setup.

It is my goal to be able to run either a developed 95 Octane Pump fuel map or an E85 developed Map and to have the option to run automatically a non-defined blend of both.

Is an external pull up resistor required on the signal wire as detailed necessary for the Siemens sensor in the help files? I don't think so.

Do I wire into one of the Digital inputs as opposed to an analogue input?

How will the ECU differentiate between Fuel Temperature and Ethanol Content?

Do I need to develop fuel map 2 and ignition map 2 to suit E85. Currently maps 1 are based on pump fuel. How do I configure the software to see Ethanol % and automatically fuel appropriately?

Any help through this process will be greatly appreciated.

The wiring and set up is easy - signal straight into a digital input, set the input to "ethanol content sensor".  Right below the wiring for the siemens sensor you will find the wiring for the continental sensor.  No pull up needed.

gg9t0KS.png

8 minutes ago, Beams AE82 said:

How will the ECU differentiate between Fuel Temperature and Ethanol Content?

Both measurements are part of the same signal.  It is a square wave PWM.  Frequency varies with Eth content, duty cycle varies with temp.

10 minutes ago, Beams AE82 said:

Do I need to develop fuel map 2 and ignition map 2 to suit E85. Currently maps 1 are based on pump fuel. How do I configure the software to see Ethanol % and automatically fuel appropriately?

The V series doesnt have true flex fuel capability like our newer ECU's, but this is how it is normally done:

Set up 4D fuel and ign tables, put Eth % on one axis (Y) and RPM on the other.  The main fuel table is your petrol map, the 4D tables are then used to add fuel and timing based on Eth %.

There is no way to change warmup enrichment and cold start compensations based on Eth% in this platform so you have to compromise a bit in this area and usually go for something in between ideal for both fuels.

Thank you Adam. The software's limited capability in this regard is a pitty but understood. I'm learning with this ECU that there is always another way to achieve the required end goal.

Why would I span Eth % against rpm in the 4D table for my fuel correction? If I was running for example E50, the table lookup would be to the 50% column and whatever correction factor I've inserted would then be applied across the entire rpm range. Or, is it not possible to setup only a 2D table which is in effect what I'm describing. 

Alternatively, could I setup Eth% on 1 axis and Eth Temp on the second axis? Would that not provide some sort of temp correction as well?

For ignition, I agree with Eth % on 1 axis and rpm on the other. This would enable me to fine tune ignition timing appropriately across the full rpm range.

So, the scenario is. I will empty the fuel tank and fill it with E85. I will then develop an appropriate fuel and ignition map. I will then compare the petrol vs Ethanol fuel and ignition maps. Would I then span a linearly increasing correction factor from 0% Ethanol to 100% ethanol in the 4D table (based on the 2 developed fuel maps) or is it not as simple as this?