Link Fury as piggyback, CAN bus setup (EOL resistor)

boostDR

Hi,

I would like to check if the pre-loaded 350z/G35 CAN definitions will receive CAN data correctly on my M35 Stagea. My setup runs the Link Fury piggy backed to the OEM ecu as the ECU communicates with the TCU over CAN. To enable the LINK to correctly interface into this established CAN Bus from what I understand from the help notes is that I will have to remove the internal EOL resistor from my LINK fury. If this is the case could you please advise on the procedure to complete this modification ?

I would like to use the CAN bus for gear position indication on the auto as a starter for better torque management options  

Regards,

Matt

It is correct that in theory you shouldn’t have more than the two terminators at each end of the bus, but in real life most OEM buses will still run happily with the extra termination resistor, so try if first. Some of the CAN messages may match the 350z but that is unknown.

Wow, what an exceptional pice of kit this ecu is. I connected up the CAN bus and it does indeed read the gear shifter position(P, R, N, D, M) and also the gear (1-5) status which is great for me to setup gear based ignition and boost. Plus manual mode 5d mapping as the trans locks the TC under full Boost/throttle causing additional load. My high stall was causing problems with the user setup gear detection so having this status from the CAN is really helpful.

There are some irregularities as you would expect from using the 350z/g35 CAN setup. Hopefully we can work around these so I can still utilize the CAN data. 

Findings:

-from the runtime menu the Bus active state turns off if the car isn’t running for a couple of minutes then stays off. I have to power cycle the ecu to get it reading again. If I start the car within 2min the Bus stays active. 

-the runtime menu shows alot of cycling transmit errors(0-250). If I turn the AC on it cycles on and off continuously until I disable the link CAN bus 2. 

Questions:

-am I able to configure the link CAN bus to not transmit only receive?

-is it possible to add a M35 Stagea CAN preset configuration ?

-am I able to setup user defined variables for the known streams that are working? How can I obtain this data? Would be very greatful to just have CAN gear and shifter position Which has been confirmed as the same address ID’s as the 350z/G35 on my 2001 VQ25DET M35 Nissan Stagea. 

Regards, 

Matt

Hi, Sorry I missed your earlier post.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:47 PM, boostDR said:

-am I able to configure the link CAN bus to not transmit only receive?

Not when using a predefined "OEM" stream.

-is it possible to add a M35 Stagea CAN preset configuration ?

Probably unlikely due to the popularity of the platform.  We usually need to buy or borrow a car for a few weeks to reverse engineer the can bus and test is under many conditions etc.  So we need to weigh the cost of doing so against the likely number of ecu's this stream would sell.

-am I able to setup user defined variables for the known streams that are working? How can I obtain this data? Would be very greatful to just have CAN gear and shifter position Which has been confirmed as the same address ID’s as the 350z/G35 on my 2001 VQ25DET M35 Nissan Stagea. 

I can probably knock you up something for this.  What did you want to use the "shifter position" for?  I think I could only really bring this in as a CAN digital input, something like "park/neutral" status.

52 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Hi, Sorry I missed your earlier post.

Not when using a predefined "OEM" stream.

Probably unlikely due to the popularity of the platform.  We usually need to buy or borrow a car for a few weeks to reverse engineer the can bus and test is under many conditions etc.  So we need to weigh the cost of doing so against the likely number of ecu's this stream would sell.

I can probably knock you up something for this.  What did you want to use the "shifter position" for?  I think I could only really bring this in as a CAN digital input, something like "park/neutral" status.

Cheers for the support Adam very much appreciated. The M35 Stagea tuning community is slowly getting stronger. I administer a 400 member group (fb M35 Stagea Tuners) who are keen to pursue this ecu as our now number 1 best option due to some pretty impressive results on the Fury  

I understand the lack of return on investment to define the entire Nissan M35 specific ID’s and that’s not what I would expect. 

Would be a huge help to just be able to receive the gear position status(1,2,3,4,5) to reference for gear based Boost and ignition. And the gear shifter position(P, R, N, D, M) for idle control and load considerations as manual mode presents additional tuning challenges on our cars due to the torque convertor locking up under full load. Both these input ID’s and variables are confirmed the same as the 350z/G35 preset. 

I am keen to help the wider community, so if we are able to define these particular variables it would be great to add to the help pages or config so we can all benefit.(and sell more ecu’s)

Regards,

Matt