Low Voltage at Ecu

roarpw

Hi There,

I have just rewired the entire body harness in my R33 GTst to a motorsport switch panel and bare essentials for racing. The issue im currently having amoung issues with the aim MXS dash.. The ecu is seeing/ reading low voltage copared woith the battery. 

The battery reads 12/ 13 volts depending on state of charge and and when the engine is running the battery is reading 13.5V... but the ecu is reading 12.1 / 12.2V with voltage sometime dropping lower in to the high 11.8/11.9V...

I find it a bit strange but have a suspicion it may to do with an earth issue?

Any insights would be appreciated.

anyone have any ideas what else may be causing the low voltage read at the ecu?? i have tested the power coming into the ecu and got 13.5V, power to aim dash 13.5V... i just dont understand how the ecu is seeing lower than 13.5V when the battery and everything else is reading correct??

Cheers

I will try this tonight and report back... i did get voltage to pin 50 on Wednesday with the multimeter grounded to battery / earth and that displayed 13.5V  but i dont recall pin 49 as to whether or not i got a reading out of it. So i will try again. 

I have found this difficult to determine whether or not i have the correct pins, what i have noticed i have applied the multimeter to what appears to be pins 50 and 59 and they have 13.5V  but either nothing or no wire connected to pin 49 and no voltage at pin 60?

Hi Adam,

i am still unsure i have the correct pins so i have attached a picture to make sure i am getting this right...

in reference to the ecu plug picture attached when i ground the multimeter to the chassis i get 13-13.5v from Pin 50 (far rhs top row of plug) from the centre bolt as you look at it in the picture..

There is no wire on pin 49... on pin 59 with the multimeter ground to the chassis i get 13-13.5V, on pin 60 i get 0V... When i probe pin 50 and pin 60 together via the multimeter i get 13-13.5V...

I had the car at a tuner yesterday and he seems to think that the with the ecu reading low voltage its causing the injector timing to slow down( he explained it similar to dwell??? due to the low voltage which is causing the car to run richer than normal... he has since taken some fuel out of the trim table to compensate but mention if i get this voltage issue sorted i will need to add the fuel back in?

r33pinout.jpg

The VTS reads 11.4 volts currently whilst checking those pins explained above

ok thanks,  i think i have tested the pins you highlighted and i get 11.4V from pin 50 with the ground going to the chassis, and i will need to confirm this with the paper clip method but i got 6.3V with the ground going to pin 49 which i am not sure if that is correct or not? it doesnt sound right to me so i will try and get a paperclip in there...

thanks,

Andrew

ok i have just back probed pin 49 and 50 with the multimeter and get 11.2/11.26V with VTS reading the same.... 

Ok so the ECU is reporting the voltage it is being supplied correctly.  So now you just need to fix the car so that it supplies the correct voltage...

The first thing I would try is swap out the ECCS relay for known good or new one.  They are probably the most common issue we see on Skylines.