Which ECU should I go with?

M1tch

Hi there,

I am currently looking at the Link range of ECUs, I have a mk3 MR2 with the 1zz but will be going for a fully built boosted setup. I will need to have input for a wideband and would also be looking to run meth injection at some point in the future.

I am not sure if I should go with the Monsoon or the Storm - can anyone help me with this?

The car has a MAF sensor so would also need a MAP sensor, I think I saw that the Monsoon had an inbuilt sensor whereas the Storm doesn't?

Do either of them have any sort of traction control/boost by gear or 2 step etc?

Can someone let me know the differences between the 2 models and which one might be best suited to my goals - the engine has VVTi which would need to be controlled which I think is why the Atom won't be of use, I know there are MR2Link ECUs which are plugin however they are for the Mk2 MR2 rather than the Mk3 that I have.

Other options I am looking at is the AEM EM4 and currently have a Apexi PFC which I can use as well (although its not ideal due to the fact its now fairly old).

Thanks in advance!

Assuming it has a cable throttle and a solenoid type idle valve (not stepper) then either the Monsoon or Storm will do it.  The Monsoon doenst have knock control so that may be something to consider but otherwise they have a fairly equal level of features.  The Storm has quite a few more input and outputs so will give you a little more flexibility to add sensors or control other stuff later on if you're interested.  The Monsoon has enough I/O to run the engine and common ancillaries will be pretty much fully populated so wont have many/any spares left.  The Storm costs a bit more for the ecu, it will need a separate MAP sensor and possibly a more wiring so will end up costing a bit more in total.

Here is a chart showing the major differences:

0XSbmJ4.png

8 hours ago, M1tch said:

Do either of them have any sort of traction control/boost by gear or 2 step etc?

Neither have proper traction control, but you can do stuff like GP Limiters based on wheel slip etc.

Both have boost by gear, multiple boost tables and multiple launch control strategies.

Thanks for the info, seems odd that the more expensive Storm doesn't have an on board MAP sensor though but looking at the extreme range and up its only the cheaper Monsoon that has it.

Am I correct to say that both the Monsoon and Storm are able to autotune via the software etc? Am I also correct to say that they all come with a basemap or is this something I would need to spec when ordering the ECU?

19 minutes ago, M1tch said:

seems odd that the more expensive Storm doesn't have an on board MAP sensor though but looking at the extreme range and up its only the cheaper Monsoon that has it.

The main reason for this is the Monsoon is limited with only one 34pin connector so by putting the Map sensor inside it means it frees up one pin for other uses.

22 minutes ago, M1tch said:

Am I correct to say that both the Monsoon and Storm are able to autotune via the software etc

Yes both have the same tuning functions available.  Note for "autotune" you still ideally need a dyno to be able to hold the engine steady in each cell.  The mixture map function is another useful function for tuning from datalogs.

27 minutes ago, M1tch said:

Am I also correct to say that they all come with a basemap or is this something I would need to spec when ordering the ECU?

We dont have a 1ZZ base map, you would just start with one of the basic "sample maps" and add the main settings for the 1ZZ out of the help file.  

I turbocharged a 1zz with an old Vipec V44 8 years ago which has a similar pin configuration to the monsoon.  That car's going to be upgraded to a G4+ Storm shortly as we had run out of inputs on the V44 and now want to add a flex fuel sensor along with oil pressure and temp sensors direct to the ECU.  I've also recently upgraded my own turbo 2zz from an old G4 Red Xtreme to a G4+ Storm so I could take advantage of the new modelled fuel mode

Thanks for all the help on this, looks like I should aim for the G4+ Storm as my ECU, I know that the 'autotune' function won't give me the optimised map via road tuning - will be going to a Dyno to get the car mapped from the basic 'sample map' - its more about any fine tweaks needed after logging more data and to be able to have fueling adjusted if I change something such as the exhaust in the future. How user friendly is the PC link software?

Also, is there an option to run a 'torque limit' on the map? I know this can be mapped in whilst on the dyno but wanted to see if there was an option for the ECU to pull timing (as an example) if the calculated load or another parameter is met - although my gearbox will be upgraded it will still be the weaker link in the chain.

I know its a bit cheeky to ask but how does the AEM EMS4 compare to the Storm as an example? The Storm is about 40% more expensive vs the AEM EMS4 and that doesn't include the additional MAP sensor I am going to need etc.

I'm in Australia and the AEM platform is almost non-existent here as we have so many other options that are well proven.  Download the PCLink software and have a look for yourself, I find it very user friendly.  One tip would be to learn the keyboard shortcuts for tuning as that makes things a lot faster.  I don't use the autotune stuff for AFR, it's easier to manually make adjustments to the map.  I use the mixture map function to assist with a bit of fine tuning after initially roughing in the fuel map.

The cost of a map sensor doesn't come into the equation when I'm making a choice on an ECU for a new build, MAP sensors are cheap and represent a negligible percentage of the overall cost when implementing a standalone ECU on a custom turbo build.

An early IO table from the ZZE122R Corolla turbo I did is attached for your reference and this is an example map you can view with the older Vipec VTS software: JYU 1ZZ 12032016.pcl

1zz_vipec.JPG

Thanks again for the help, I think I might look to run the G4+ Storm ECU as it gives me knock protection - will download the software to see what its like - won't be something I would need to really adjust that much but might do if I swap out injectors or change other things on the engine setup.

Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread, I have gone for the Link Xtreme ECU which also has the added benefit of traction control - meaning I won't need to buy a racelogic setup so the upgraded ECU is actually saving me money!

On 6/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, M1tch said:

Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread, I have gone for the Link Xtreme ECU which also has the added benefit of traction control - meaning I won't need to buy a racelogic setup so the upgraded ECU is actually saving me money!

Good choice, I have use AEM EMS4 (a lot of time disconnect from the laptop I dont know why, it happend to us with a lot of different EMS4 and laptop combinations) and others brand like that and the storm or the xtreme are by far better ecus and "biggers", more inputs output, etc, a more fair comparision would be against the monsoon or the atom. I have play a lot with the boost control on the g4+ range and I will have to say that you dont really (or you can have good result without the traction control) need the traction control to have good power output control on the track. If it is a 1/4 mile car you just need boost by gear to have a good result, on trackcars I like to use the WGDC map with RPM/TPS, so you have the control on the right foot. 

Hi Everyone,

I am new in LINK and kindly advise to suggest me Link model for my BMW e39 with engine m62b44tu. It is v8 4.4L with double vanos system engine. 

Also, I need additional info wether I will need to change my sparks or any other underwater stones with this ECU.

TQVM in advance.