''Laggy'' software

chuckk

Hi guys,

I just purchased a brand new asus laptop and I decided to go overkill this time so I can keep it longer. It has a 512 SSD, 8th gen I7 processor with 16 gig ram. So after re-installing everything, Ive noticed that the only software that doesn't run properly is the link. I know windows 10 isn't the best for tuning but try to find a brand new laptop with win7...

As soon as I start to play with the tables it gets laggy and if I switch from the grid view to the 3d view, the 3d view never shows up...

I checked all my other softwares to see if I had any issues with the others but no. 

Need it running properly since tomorrow will be on the dyno.

thanks!

given the 3d issues as well, i'd say graphics drivers. Try getting the official asus ones which are sometimes different to the intel/nvidia/ati ones. A lot of those more powerful laptops have some sort of onboard vs offboard video card switching too. Make sure you have the drivers installed for both video cards, and as a test try forcing the offboard card to be always on/always off.

Hi cj.

Thanks for your response. 

I spent almost 2 hours playing with the graphics settings and it seems the best option is to leave everything ''default''. Looks like I'll be using my old laptop tomorrow. 

Have a great week-end and thanks again. 

Hi Chuck, I sort of have a similar feeling as CJ, in that it very much sounds graphics related.  Windows 10 should definitely not be a drama and all of us here use win 10 (even with the G1 software lol).  I will ask @EngineeringDave to take a look at this thread next week (Friday night here already) and see if he can help.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for replying. It's weird because all my other tuning softwares are working flawlessly. Will try to post a video of what it's doing maybe tomorrow if I have time. 

Like I said before, my old Dell latitude has a slower processor, less ram, no ssd and it runs perfect. 

I go buy a 1400$ asus...it runs like shit, but only this software (no hate I'm just saying).

Thanks

Sounds like something about your OpenGL is upset.

When you're connected to the ECU, what frequency do you get in the top right hand corner?

And, can you attempt to open the 3D view, then go Help > About and grab a screenshot of the window?

I'm looking for your PCLink version information and the version of OpenGL. 

image.png

Thanks

Just to chime in, I have an Asus GL552V laptop and have a slightly different graphics issues, I will attach a screen dump.  It's more an annoyance than a show stopper. I tried the latest graphics drivers a while ago and it made no improvement.  I never got to the bottom of this problem, hoping that sooner or later a driver update would fix it!

Asus.jpg

1 hour ago, TimmyD said:

Just to chime in, I have an Asus GL552V laptop and have a slightly different graphics issues, I will attach a screen dump.  It's more an annoyance than a show stopper. I tried the latest graphics drivers a while ago and it made no improvement.  I never got to the bottom of this problem, hoping that sooner or later a driver update would fix it!

Asus.jpg

Yeah that one's a known issue thanks.

You have to watch communication rate at the right top corner. 

On my laptopp it needs often about 20sec to get the communication to speed. I have not excactly found what background process slows it down. But one is for sure, as less other softwares i have open beside PC LINk as faster the communication get up to speed afzer connection. 

OK guys sorry for not responding to your questions! Yes Timmy I also have that same issue with the escape window going crazy but didn't mention it since I didn't think it was that big of a deal. 

Glad you have the same issue though. 

To answer the frequency question I can't tell since no ecu...customer didn't show up.

Here is a screenshot.

linkbug.png

linkhelpinfo.png

15 hours ago, Grant Baker said:

Anybody get a delay when they power up and connect? So you get ECU online, then TPS and RPM etc have lots of lag?

14 hours ago, mapper said:

You have to watch communication rate at the right top corner. 

On my laptopp it needs often about 20sec to get the communication to speed. I have not excactly found what background process slows it down. But one is for sure, as less other softwares i have open beside PC LINk as faster the communication get up to speed afzer connection. 

The problems that Grant and Mapper are describing, I have had since they rolled out G4+.  G4 software is fine and connects and communicates immediately, where as the G4+ software has always made me wait till the comms frequency is up to speed.  I have mentioned it to Adam and Simon many times.  I have tried many different pcs and different operating systems with the same results.  

16 hours ago, chuckk said:

OK guys sorry for not responding to your questions! Yes Timmy I also have that same issue with the escape window going crazy but didn't mention it since I didn't think it was that big of a deal. 

Glad you have the same issue though. 

To answer the frequency question I can't tell since no ecu...customer didn't show up.

Here is a screenshot.

linkbug.png

linkhelpinfo.png

So, it seems to me that loading up the AFR/Lambda Target Table (1 or 2) seems to break the 3d view. There may be other tables that do it too.

I've added it as a bug, I don't have a work around, solution or ETA yet.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:24 AM, chuckk said:

Hi guys,

I just purchased a brand new asus laptop and I decided to go overkill this time so I can keep it longer. It has a 512 SSD, 8th gen I7 processor with 16 gig ram. So after re-installing everything, Ive noticed that the only software that doesn't run properly is the link. I know windows 10 isn't the best for tuning but try to find a brand new laptop with win7...

As soon as I start to play with the tables it gets laggy and if I switch from the grid view to the 3d view, the 3d view never shows up...

I checked all my other softwares to see if I had any issues with the others but no. 

Need it running properly since tomorrow will be on the dyno.

thanks!

I had the same issue on my ASUS G55VW laptop . I manually found the Nvidia LAPTOP driver and haven't had a issue since. 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Just an update to this one.

The surface view issue seems to be on Nvidia drivers with the new OpenGL 4.6 standard. For me these drivers were released back on the 9th of October version 387.92, so rolling back to 385.69 (Sept 21st) fixes the surface view, your mobile graphics might be different versions.
Obviously working to fix this properly.

As for "lag" no body has followed up with sufficient information for me to investigate further.

• 2 years later...

Did this one ever get solved?

I have similar issues as described here.

For G4+ when NOT connected to car

- take a good 10 seconds to "get ready"

- if I press ESC and type, say "Accel En" the menu jumps around before settling on Accel Enrichment after a few seconds

- if I right click on one of the dials and click properties, takes 12-15 seconds to open the dialog box... then dealing with this is painfully slow

When CONNECTED to car

- when first connects, freezes PCLink for 30 or so seconds

- is a bit laggy when jumping between menus

Overall, it makes the mapping experience quite poor.

I've been able to recreate some of the above on a Virtual Machine on a Mac... not connected to car. I found that actually the software responds reasonably well if 3D acceleration is turned off... although then the text disappears in the graphical display. With 3D acceleration back on I start to see similar performance as I describe able (a bit slower as I'm on a VM). To navigate with the ESC and other features it is very usable. 

It does appear to be a problem with the graphics driver interaction - however this affects the whole application, not just the map table 3D charts.

The "mapping laptop" has a clean install of Windows 10 and is fully up to date (the VM on Mac is also Windows 10). I bought a new laptop specifically for this so it's quite annoying that it doesn't work.

Ideas?

Christian

Update - just for fun, I uninstalled the graphics adapter driver...

Immediately the PC Link software is more responsive, but now the labels don't show on the 3D map views.

Everything else works on this laptop - just not PCLink. Very frustrating. Is there a way I can turn off the labels? Not ideal but could be a workaround.

We havent been able to reproduce this on any of the laptops or PC's at Link, but one thing we found on one of the higher end laptops was it was laggy on battery power but ok on AC.  It was caused by a setting in the windows power plan for the graphics card which was switching it into low power mode when on battery.  Setting it to "max performance" or similar on battery power solved it.

Did you check that the scaling is set to 100% or whatever is reccomended? I know that sometimes certain software doesn't always play nicely if the scaling is set to something it does'nt like. I am running my PC link on my desktop, its windows 10 with and AMD graphics card, 16GB RAM etc, it also runs fine on a very cheap windows 10 tablet (think its got something like an Atom processor!) which I use for logging etc.

Not had an issue with either desktop or tablet - try some different scaling options as it does sound graphics related (under Settings > Display > Scale and layout)

PCLink with Intel adapter (laggy).mkv

Here is a screen capture of the problem I'm experiencing - I've seen this on both this laptop and also on a VM (running on Mac) if I have 3D acceleration enabled.

This is what I experience if I disable the Intel adapter... better, but not ideal.

PCLink with default adapter.mkv

1 hour ago, M1tch said:

Did you check that the scaling is set to 100% or whatever is reccomended? I know that sometimes certain software doesn't always play nicely if the scaling is set to something it does'nt like. I am running my PC link on my desktop, its windows 10 with and AMD graphics card, 16GB RAM etc, it also runs fine on a very cheap windows 10 tablet (think its got something like an Atom processor!) which I use for logging etc.

Not had an issue with either desktop or tablet - try some different scaling options as it does sound graphics related (under Settings > Display > Scale and layout)

Hi Mitch... yeah, I've tried those things. The scaling made no difference. I played with some other settings... weirdly, if I set everything up to Max Performance on the Intel control centre, it actually gets worse. We're not running Crisis here, so we shouldn't be pushing the boundaries of the driver. What is odd is that it affects more than the 3D map as can be seen in the videos. The 3D map (which I guess is using OpenGL) needs the right hardware features for the text, it seems, which I imagine is why it fails when the adapter is disabled. I have no idea why the rest of the software goes laggy though when the correct driver is enabled.