chuckk

''Laggy'' software

Hi guys,

I just purchased a brand new asus laptop and I decided to go overkill this time so I can keep it longer. It has a 512 SSD, 8th gen I7 processor with 16 gig ram. So after re-installing everything, Ive noticed that the only software that doesn't run properly is the link. I know windows 10 isn't the best for tuning but try to find a brand new laptop with win7...

As soon as I start to play with the tables it gets laggy and if I switch from the grid view to the 3d view, the 3d view never shows up...

I checked all my other softwares to see if I had any issues with the others but no. 

Need it running properly since tomorrow will be on the dyno.

thanks!

given the 3d issues as well, i'd say graphics drivers. Try getting the official asus ones which are sometimes different to the intel/nvidia/ati ones. A lot of those more powerful laptops have some sort of onboard vs offboard video card switching too. Make sure you have the drivers installed for both video cards, and as a test try forcing the offboard card to be always on/always off.

Hi cj.

Thanks for your response. 

I spent almost 2 hours playing with the graphics settings and it seems the best option is to leave everything ''default''. Looks like I'll be using my old laptop tomorrow. 

Have a great week-end and thanks again. 

Hi Chuck, I sort of have a similar feeling as CJ, in that it very much sounds graphics related.  Windows 10 should definitely not be a drama and all of us here use win 10 (even with the G1 software lol).  I will ask @EngineeringDave to take a look at this thread next week (Friday night here already) and see if he can help.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for replying. It's weird because all my other tuning softwares are working flawlessly. Will try to post a video of what it's doing maybe tomorrow if I have time. 

Like I said before, my old Dell latitude has a slower processor, less ram, no ssd and it runs perfect. 

I go buy a 1400$ asus...it runs like shit, but only this software (no hate I'm just saying).

Thanks

Sounds like something about your OpenGL is upset.

When you're connected to the ECU, what frequency do you get in the top right hand corner?

And, can you attempt to open the 3D view, then go Help > About and grab a screenshot of the window?

I'm looking for your PCLink version information and the version of OpenGL. 

image.png

Thanks

Just to chime in, I have an Asus GL552V laptop and have a slightly different graphics issues, I will attach a screen dump.  It's more an annoyance than a show stopper. I tried the latest graphics drivers a while ago and it made no improvement.  I never got to the bottom of this problem, hoping that sooner or later a driver update would fix it!

Asus.jpg

1 hour ago, TimmyD said:

Just to chime in, I have an Asus GL552V laptop and have a slightly different graphics issues, I will attach a screen dump.  It's more an annoyance than a show stopper. I tried the latest graphics drivers a while ago and it made no improvement.  I never got to the bottom of this problem, hoping that sooner or later a driver update would fix it!

Asus.jpg

Yeah that one's a known issue thanks.

You have to watch communication rate at the right top corner. 

On my laptopp it needs often about 20sec to get the communication to speed. I have not excactly found what background process slows it down. But one is for sure, as less other softwares i have open beside PC LINk as faster the communication get up to speed afzer connection. 

OK guys sorry for not responding to your questions! Yes Timmy I also have that same issue with the escape window going crazy but didn't mention it since I didn't think it was that big of a deal. 

Glad you have the same issue though. 

To answer the frequency question I can't tell since no ecu...customer didn't show up.

Here is a screenshot.

linkbug.png

linkhelpinfo.png

15 hours ago, Grant Baker said:

Anybody get a delay when they power up and connect? So you get ECU online, then TPS and RPM etc have lots of lag?

14 hours ago, mapper said:

You have to watch communication rate at the right top corner. 

On my laptopp it needs often about 20sec to get the communication to speed. I have not excactly found what background process slows it down. But one is for sure, as less other softwares i have open beside PC LINk as faster the communication get up to speed afzer connection. 

The problems that Grant and Mapper are describing, I have had since they rolled out G4+.  G4 software is fine and connects and communicates immediately, where as the G4+ software has always made me wait till the comms frequency is up to speed.  I have mentioned it to Adam and Simon many times.  I have tried many different pcs and different operating systems with the same results.  

16 hours ago, chuckk said:

OK guys sorry for not responding to your questions! Yes Timmy I also have that same issue with the escape window going crazy but didn't mention it since I didn't think it was that big of a deal. 

Glad you have the same issue though. 

To answer the frequency question I can't tell since no ecu...customer didn't show up.

Here is a screenshot.

linkbug.png

linkhelpinfo.png

So, it seems to me that loading up the AFR/Lambda Target Table (1 or 2) seems to break the 3d view. There may be other tables that do it too.

I've added it as a bug, I don't have a work around, solution or ETA yet.

Chuckk have you tried to make the 3D view Window bigger and smaller and zoom in and out on the 3D view? As fare, I remember once or two times a similar problem, and make the window bigger and smaller fixed it.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:24 AM, chuckk said:

Hi guys,

I just purchased a brand new asus laptop and I decided to go overkill this time so I can keep it longer. It has a 512 SSD, 8th gen I7 processor with 16 gig ram. So after re-installing everything, Ive noticed that the only software that doesn't run properly is the link. I know windows 10 isn't the best for tuning but try to find a brand new laptop with win7...

As soon as I start to play with the tables it gets laggy and if I switch from the grid view to the 3d view, the 3d view never shows up...

I checked all my other softwares to see if I had any issues with the others but no. 

Need it running properly since tomorrow will be on the dyno.

thanks!

I had the same issue on my ASUS G55VW laptop . I manually found the Nvidia LAPTOP driver and haven't had a issue since. 

Hey guys,

Just an update to this one.

The surface view issue seems to be on Nvidia drivers with the new OpenGL 4.6 standard. For me these drivers were released back on the 9th of October version 387.92, so rolling back to 385.69 (Sept 21st) fixes the surface view, your mobile graphics might be different versions.
Obviously working to fix this properly.

As for "lag" no body has followed up with sufficient information for me to investigate further.