Monsoon + Microtech Dash CANBUS Setting Issue

NueKaede

Hi Team, 

Having an issue with setting up the microtech dash with the monsoon.

I wired it up to the can H/L as per the instructions in the PCLink help, then connected to the ecu while the car was on accessory, setup it up with 'Transmit Microtech LTC Dash' as per the help, applied, and hit okay, and it displays the information as it should. So I stored to the ecu, and fired the car up and the information stops showing.
If I apply the settings again while the car is running its fine until I turn the car off and back on. 

I've tried changing the CANBUS channel, triple checked the settings and wiring, tried storing to the ecu and disconnecting the laptop and usb cable from the ecu, checked the runtime values and can't see any issues.

cheers

Thomas

evUWVOL.png

AMdmFbd.png

Hi,

i have done a ViPEC V88 that i modified for CAN BUS and then setup for the MICROTECH DASH.

The CAN BUS would not work if the MICROTECH TEMPLATE was used in the DASH or the ECU.

I had to use GENERIC, but i have not done a G4+ or i SERIES sorry.

If i had the dash here still, i could set it up on my simulator and Thunder and work it out for you.

But the instructions i had for the G4 and V series were incorrect, from Microtech side.

I worked it out and got it working well.

I will have a look into it for you if i get a chance.

I am setting up a DASH 2 and DASH 2 PRO at present on  G4 and G4+ ECU's.

Regards

Dave.

V88 MICROTECH CAN BUS SETTINGS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

finally had a chance today to sit down and have another play/diagnosis.

When the car is off the dash displays fine and the ecu shows no errors,

as soon as I crank and the dash turns back on, the ecu throws these errors and doesn't display any data.

I guess the next question to ask is whether or not the communication issue is caused by the starter,

or if its something to do with the order the ecu and dash are turning on (Which i doubt is an issue)

SX0Tj85.png

1 hour ago, ClintBHP said:

I would try changing the Transmit Format, the 'Form Error' shows packets are being received but without some of the building blocks of the CAN packet.

If I switch it to extended there is no data displayed at all, the issue only shows it self after the car has been started,

if I apply the CAN settings in PCLink while the car is running its fine from that point on no matter how long the car is running. so i don't think its a setting issue with PClink

Then I would imagine the CAN bus is experiencing magnet interference from possibly something like the starter motor.

Does it do it if bumped ?

The CAN Bus is normally protected against this by its design, which includes twisted wire and termination on each end.

Have you twisted the wire at about a rate of a turn an inch ?

Does it run by the starter motor ?

To test it is terminated properly using a multimeter across the CAN bus in resistance mode, you should see approximately 60 ohms, if you see 120 ohms then the Dash needs a terminating resistor.

13 hours ago, ClintBHP said:

Then I would imagine the CAN bus is experiencing magnet interference from possibly something like the starter motor.

Does it do it if bumped ?

The CAN Bus is normally protected against this by its design, which includes twisted wire and termination on each end.

Have you twisted the wire at about a rate of a turn an inch ?

Does it run by the starter motor ?

To test it is terminated properly using a multimeter across the CAN bus in resistance mode, you should see approximately 60 ohms, if you see 120 ohms then the Dash needs a terminating resistor.

Hi Clint, 

No change when i wiggle the wires, tried both ends of the connection

Yep, its a twisted pair, I used the wiring supplied by Microtech with the dash and terminated it for the link plug
No, it runs inside the car well clear of the starter
I checked the resistance at 3 points, the Link end, the Dash end, and in the middle all read 55 ohms

1 hour ago, ClintBHP said:

Yes I have seen twice where we have start issues with CAN that they were ok with a roll/bump start. - It narrows the search down

Yep, worked on a bump start.

I pulled out the cheapo logic analyzer I forgot I had, and logged the canbus data, and the two logs(on accessory with dash displaying, and during startup) and there is no obvious difference in the data-stream that would lead me to think its interference on the signal, so i'm figuring it has something to do with the dash turning off and back on while the car is starting