Upgrading from Vipec V88 to Link G4+ Xtreme... upgrade procedure?

jigga009

I'm upgrading from my Vipec V88 ECU to a G4+ Xtreme, and had a few questions regarding the process of making the switch smoothly and painlessly. I would have asked Link's chat support these questions, but that feature of Link's support appears to have gone the way of the dodo. I do apologize in advance if this topic has been covered ad nauseum. I would rather familiarize myself with what I am up against before ripping my car apart:

1) Is there a set of instructions that Link has somewhere that one should follow in order to make the upgrade as seamlessly as possible?

2) Does one need to start checking base timing, etc with a timing gun with the new ECU?

3) I have the unlock code for my ECU as well, but am a little unsure as to when and how I would need to use it. Looking through the user's guide of the ECU, it appears to have "some" functionality, but not all without the unlock code. 

If anyone has any tips that would be useful, I would greatly appreciate them :)

I think the V88 is effectively a Link G4 Xtreme then you can do the following:

1. Download the latest version of PCLink and connect your new ECU, upload your old map file. (this does not work offline) 

Upgrade the firmware

Check all the inputs and outputs are set correct.

2. Always worth doing but should be fine.

3. You wont be able to run the car with a locked ECU.

Ok, I have peformed the install, but have not gotten to the point of starting the car up yet. I have a few questions:

1) I installed the latest firmware onto the ECU without any issue, and installed my VIPEC V88 map onto the ECU. I did receive an interesting warning which I am not sure applies to me: " Use start-of-injection for injector timing if using fuel cuts with sequential/staged injection"

Now, I do use staged injection on my car, but I am not sure whether this warning that came up means that my second group of injectors will not work as they did on the Vipec V88? I am concerned about this warning because aside from the lack of space for tables on the V88 which prompted the upgrade to the G4+, everything worked just fine on my V88 map. How do I know whether the above warning will impact the function of my map as it was on this new ECU?

2) None of the data on my AIM MXG shows up that used to show on my V88. All I see on the dash now is data from external sensors that were plumbed straight to the dash. Nothing from the ECU via CANBUS is showing up at the moment. Does one need to set up CANBUS again from scratch, or should that information not have been carried over from the V88 map?

More questions - This time in comparing my map after installing it into the G4+ and running the "compare" function with the map, as installed onto the old V88:

3) Why is it that some of the fueling values have doubled? Pre-crank Prime table values have now doubled in comparison to what they were on my V88. Same with the Crank Enrichment table. Values have all doubled in comparison to what they were on the V88.

4) Closed loop lambda - The G4+ appears to have a MAP Lockout of 102Kpa that was non-existent on my V88. What is the basis by which the map lockout is set at 102kPa? Should I be setting it to something else? My V88 had this parameter blank.

I'll add more questions as they pop up..

Ok... found an answer to my questions:

Answer to #3 - I am finding that the "Compare" function on the latest LINK software for the G4+ is NOT 100% reliable, especially when it pertains to erroneously indicating the use of 3D map where there isn't one... When I loaded my old V88 map onto the software, it indicated that I had a 3D crank enrichment table on the map, when in fact it did not. Once I turned off this 3D function on my G4+ map, it now appeared just as is it did on my V88. I noticed a similar issue when it came to the pre-crank prim table, where the "compare" feature indicated that my old map was using a 3D table, when in fact it was not. As a tip, for future upgraders, it would be smart to pull both the V88 software up and the Link software side by side, and go through each and every parameter to ensure they match, or have been turned off or zeroed out as needed.

Answer to #4 - Compare feature tricked me again - the old V88 map had this MAP lockout of 102kpa programmed, but the Link "compare" feature indicated that no such map lockout was in place... Again, might not be that smart of an idea to rely heavily on the feature right now....

13 minutes ago, ClintBHP said:

As you self answered 3 & 4 :

1 - Set your engine protection rpm limit to Ignition Cut.

2 - Have you checked the CAN configuration  - ECU Controls - CAN Config

Thanks for the response...

My previous V88 map had an Ignition Cut as the RPM limiter, and the G4+ map has this set as well. If that was what the " Use start-of-injection for injector timing if using fuel cuts with sequential/staged injection" warning was about, I should be good there.

I am changing the CAN settings to match the instructions from this thread here: CAN Link G4+ to Aim MXL Strada

I should be able to report back soon as to whether it worked. From what I see in that thread though, I might have to create a math channel on the Aim RS3 software in order to convert the lambda readings back into AFR figures that I am used to seeing.

18 minutes ago, jigga009 said:

I might have to create a math channel on the Aim RS3 software in order to convert the lambda readings back into AFR figures that I am used to seeing.

I would use it as a chance to start using Lambda, even if you have to print a little chart out to reference for a while, with modern fuels containing more and more ethanol its wise to think in Lambda terms, even though AFR might seen easier due to the swing of the values.

1 hour ago, ClintBHP said:

I would use it as a chance to start using Lambda, even if you have to print a little chart out to reference for a while, with modern fuels containing more and more ethanol its wise to think in Lambda terms, even though AFR might seen easier due to the swing of the values.

Thanks for the tip...I've been considering the switch for a while, and it seems that the G4+ is forcing my hand slightly. As you mentioned, the swing in numbers makes it easier at a glance to see how well things are running with AFR. Once I get everything properly situated, I'll start playing with using it more.

The changes to the CANBUS settings worked, and I took the opportunity to try both the Link G4 and the Vipec V88 Canbus firmware as AIM have it on RS3, but both appeared to be the same, and could not display what the G4+ was sending through as Lambda properly. RS3 simply does not expect Lambda values from the Link/Vipec ECU's at the moment, given what the firmware is.  I had to create a math channel to multiply what it was receiving from the G4+ by 1.47 in order to display the AFR as was before. In order to display the lambda value, I believe I had to divide the value from the G4+ by 10 (if I remember correctly).

As is now, I'm happy to report that everything appears to be showing up on my MXG with the G4+ as was with the V88. Just need to find time to test the car out to ensure that there are no other bugs associated with the swap. Glad that Link kept the same wiring layout, harness, software, and map structure between both, as it makes is much simpler and more compelling for individuals such as myself to upgrade without too much effort. If not for the relative ease of the swap, I would not have bothered with getting a G4+, as I was pretty happy with the V88 (aside from running out of tables) up until now.

• 2 weeks later...

One more question - 

On my V88, my AEM fuel pressure sensor is using the calibration labelled "5 Bar Sensor", yet on my G4+, no such calibration exists. If I set the calibration on the G4+ to 7Bar (which exists on the software), the fuel pressure reads in the negatives.  

Would it be possible for someone to walk me through how to get the "5 Bar Sensor" calibration off the V88 and transfer them to the G4+? OR If the "5 Bar Sensor" is identical to AEM's published specs for their 5 bar sensor, how do I create a calibration on the G4+?

You could try the Link 5 Bar calibration ?

Failing that as it is a linear sensor you can use one of the simple calibration tables like Cal4 and set the units to Kpa

Input Value1 = 0.5v

Output Value1 =  0 kpa

Input Value2 = 4.5v

Output Value2 = 517.1kpa

Interestingly enough, Link do not include the calibrations to their sensors on the G4+ PCLink...All they include are a 2.5 bar, 3 bar, 4 bar and a 7 bar sensor.

I tried inputing the values you provided, but the PCLink warns that the Output value A has to be a positive number. The value you provided is negative.

Seems it was an issue with there not being a correct firmware for the AIM dash to convert what it was getting from the G4+. I really should have checked closer at what the ECU was seeing for fuel pressure in the first place.

With the cal on 7 Bar, it appears that the ECU was reading he fuel pressure correctly, but my MXG dash was displaying the same figures divided by -10. In order to correct this, I had to create a math channel to multiply what it was getting from the ECU by -10 and display that as the fuel pressure. Now the ECU and Dash are reading identically again..

I guess this all would not be an issue if LINK had the correct firmware to upload into the ECU for the CANBUS settings. Still, what is available for the G4/V88 is close, but not exact without playing with math channels to properly offset the data from the ECU.

Thanks again for your help Clint!

21 minutes ago, jigga009 said:

I guess this all would not be an issue if LINK had the correct firmware to upload into the ECU for the CANBUS settings. Still, what is available for the G4/V88 is close, but not exact without playing with math channels to properly offset the data from the ECU.

There are instructions in the help file how to set up the CAN for the AIM dash.

Note the pressure X 10 bug is in the AIM firmware, I notified them of this error about a year ago.  From memory Lambda is also out by a factor of 10.

See the last couple of posts in this thread:

Question regarding gear detection on the Vipec V88 vs the G4+ ECU's displaying over CAN. On my V88 ECU, I was able to receive gear information on my dash using the following settings:

Gear Detection - ECU Calculated

Number of gears - 6

DI speed channel - 1

Gear Calibration - OFF

Normalise Ratio Table - OFF

Gear Ratio table - filled in with all 6 of my gear ratios.

On the G4+, the Gear Detection area is a little different:

Gear Detection mode - (there is no "ECU Calculated" available....as there was with the Vipec V88)

Number of Gears -  6

Gear Calibration - OFF

Normalise Ratio Table - OFF

Gear Ratio Table - If i double click on this, the grid is greyed out with zeros and I cannot input any ratios here.

There is also no option to pick the DI speed channel on the G4+ as there is on the V88.

As a result, only get N (for Neutral) on my dash as I drive around. Any idea as to how to properly set this up to work on my G4+ as it did on the V88?

Thanks.

Set it to RPM/Speed mode.  Set detection type to user defined (since you already have the ratio numbers in your old map).  Copy ratio numbers into the ratio table.

Check there is a driven wheel speed source assigned under >chassis and body>speed sources. 

That should be all it needs.  If it still doesnt work then attach a copy of the map.