G3 wiring and setup

Helge

Hi, 

Purchased a G3 plus almost 10 years ago through EF Motor in Norway. 

A coulpe years ago the dealer offered me a software uprade to the new G4.

From what I understand will be  upgraded once I,m online with it.

The ecu will be used for a Vh41de turbo engine.

I have a 47 pin bulkhead connector for the main engine harness. (Deutch solder in)

Will it be ok to wire the shielded knock and trigger inputs trough this connector and connect the shields together trough a seperate pin? 

The knock and cas leads will be as far away from 12v powered wiring as possible, and I am using toyota cops with built in igniter.

I am running a seperate relay with diode to power the coils only. Will it still be necessary to run the 2-3uf suppressor with this setup?

The engine have two vct solenoids (2x intake cam)

Would you recommend to use two seperate outputs to trig these, or run both solenoids with one output?

I have printed out link vh41de cas wiring though your site. Should my application with g4 software upgrade be wired for G3 ecu,s? I guess cas supply is 12volt switched?

Any response to my questions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards Helge Holmen 

14 hours ago, Helge said:

A coulpe years ago the dealer offered me a software uprade to the new G4.

From what I understand will be  upgraded once I,m online with it.

For the G3-G4 firmware upgrade you will need an "upgrade code", I will attach some instructions below for the procedure.

Will it be ok to wire the shielded knock and trigger inputs trough this connector and connect the shields together trough a seperate pin? 

Correct this is normal practice to run the shields through a separate pin of a bulkhead connector.  It is fine for the knock and trigger signals to be "un-shielded" for a short length.

Will it still be necessary to run the 2-3uf suppressor with this setup?

It is good practice to reduce EMI but I have seen many without the suppressor and I never had a problem myself.

The engine have two vct solenoids (2x intake cam)

Would you recommend to use two seperate outputs to trig these, or run both solenoids with one output?

The aux outputs can drive 2A.  Assuming the VCT solenoid coils are less than about 14ohms each then it will be fine to have them connected parallel to one aux. 

I have printed out link vh41de cas wiring though your site. Should my application with g4 software upgrade be wired for G3 ecu,s? I guess cas supply is 12volt switched?

The trigger wiring is the same regardless of firmware so Im not sure I understand the first bit of your question?  For the 12V supply, yes it should come from switched 12V.

G3 to G4 Upgrade.pdf

Thanks alot for your reply Adam! Will use the suppressor since I already have it, and check check the resistance for the vct solenoids. 

I am running a innovate sgc 1 wb/boost controller. Will it be beneficial to run a seperate small band sensor aswell for fuel economy? 

Some v8 manufacturers featers a 8 to 4 sylinder cut for reduced fuel consumtion. 

I guess my link ecu can do the same using a switch or based on trottle opening?

Has anyone tested this on a aftermarket ecu before? Is worth the hassle?

17 hours ago, Helge said:

I am running a innovate sgc 1 wb/boost controller. Will it be beneficial to run a seperate small band sensor aswell for fuel economy?

No the wideband alone is fine for closed loop.

17 hours ago, Helge said:

Some v8 manufacturers featers a 8 to 4 sylinder cut for reduced fuel consumtion. 

I guess my link ecu can do the same using a switch or based on trottle opening?

Has anyone tested this on a aftermarket ecu before? Is worth the hassle?

As far as I know on engines that do cylinder deactivation, as well as cut fuel and spark, they also have some mechanical system to stop the intake and exhaust valves opening on the deactivated cylinders.  The is no function in our ECU's designed specifically for this type of system but there are possibly ways it could be done.  Not for beginners however and I would imagine you could soak many hours into tuning such a system for very little reward.