Xtreme + CAN Dash + CAN Lambda

Kitto

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been covered before, i did a search but couldn't find anything.

I'm looking at an Xtreme ECU and i know down the track i will want to use a CANBUS Dash and the possibility of Link CANBUS Lambda.

My question is, can they be used at the same time? One CAN port is required for talking to a PC but not at all times. If this does work am i assuming correctly that say CAN Port 1 - Permanent Lambda connection (needed whenever you are connected to the PC  for tuning and driving) and CAN Port 2 - Link to CAN Dash when not talking to the ECU via PClink - simply unplug the dash and plug in USB connection cable?

I know i could buy a Fury and free up that CAN port for PCLink however the little bit extra IO is nice to have. If the above doesn't work then my only work around is an external controller with a 0-5V output.

Thoughts?

Regards,

You can Tune, run a CAN Lambda and a Dash all at the same time :)

The CAN is a Bus type network so you can run many CAN based accessories at one time, they just have a different ID, you just need to follow the installation instructions and make sure only the 2 devices at the end of the bus are terminated, all wiring should be twisted.

Excellent, that was a thought of mine - i have worked with CAN before just not in an automotive application.

I assume the above is applicable so long as all CAN devices can have user defined baud rates and other CAN protocol so they can all talk on the same bus? Apologies this is testing my knowledge of CAN.

Apologies, this is testing my CAN knowledge.

Obviously the ECU with PC Link and Lambda will quite happily work on Bus 1 for instance, whereas depending on the Dash there might be a clash?

Regards,

Most things nowadays are very configurable, I would still double check your dash is compatible as there are some rare exceptions and some oddities.

You have 2 CAN bus ports free on the ECU, so you will be fine.

I have Aim, Motec, Race Technology and many other dash type devices running happily.

Don’t forget you can run a Windows Tablet as a dash, this although not optimal in some environments is very configurable and becoming very popular in some circles :)

Apologies, i think i've got it now and i've been confused all along.

So the Xtreme has 2x CAN BUS ports, one is wired through one of the 34 pin connectors, the other is one of the communications port while the remaining comms port is actually the RS232 connection for PCLink to connect to the ECU.

So one could use the hard wired CAN BUS from the 34 pin header > Lambda CAN > Dash / Second CANBUS comms port spare / RS232 comms port for PCLink?

I won't be buying a dash for some time so i'll cross that bridge when i come to it :) Just future proofing.

To clarify, the Xtreme has 2 round, 6pin "communication ports".  One has a Red O-ring around it, this is the USB connection for PC tuning only, it cannot be used for anything else.  The 2nd round comms port has both is CAN 1 and RS232 connections inside.  CAN 2 is on the main 34 pin ECU "connector B".

CAN 2 is normally the easiest to use as you dont need the special plug and our Looms already come with those CAN2 pins/wires populated.  Since the CAN Lambda has configurable baud rate you will be fine to connect both your dash and CAN Lambda to the same bus. 

That will still leave CAN 1 spare.