NickRP

Traction control on AWD

Can I use Fury ECU for traction control on a 4x4 vehicle? If so, are there any special aspects (incl. calibration) to consider?

Currently without traction control, there is wheelspin on all 4 wheels in 1st and 2nd gear.

Yes of course it will be perfect for this, a basic out line is that each wheel will have a speed sensor and once calibrated 'slip' can be measured and then torque reduction applied.

You can use physical sensors or in later cars you can read the abs CAN information and use that.

Actually, traditional wheel slip based traction control doesnt work with an AWD where all 4 wheels are spinning.  In high end motorsport they use Lidar/Radar or high speed GPS to get a more true ground speed but most of that is costly.

Maybe acceleration based launch control will be an easier option?

2 hours ago, Adamw said:

Actually, traditional wheel slip based traction control doesnt work with an AWD where all 4 wheels are spinning.  In high end motorsport they use Lidar/Radar or high speed GPS to get a more true ground speed but most of that is costly.

Maybe acceleration based launch control will be an easier option?

Other ECU manufacturer use ROC to make a traction control. What I read it does work well. That would just need an additional axis option in a future release. 

I would like to have GPS function in the next gen Link Ecu. 

Thanks for the replies.

Would it be possible to use high resolution GPS derived speed (available over CAN or as variable frequency) for traction control on Fury (or Thunder) ECU?

21 hours ago, mapper said:

Other ECU manufacturer use ROC to make a traction control. What I read it does work well. That would just need an additional axis option in a future release. 

I would like to have GPS function in the next gen Link Ecu. 

You can already put acceleration on the traction and launch table axes.  Is this not what you mean?

19 hours ago, NickRP said:

Thanks for the replies.

Would it be possible to use high resolution GPS derived speed (available over CAN or as variable frequency) for traction control on Fury (or Thunder) ECU?

GPS is ok for high speed traction control as it is can be quite accurate when moving (provided you have very good signal), but it is very poor at low speed, standing starts etc.  Since you were originally talking about "in 1st and 2nd gear", for decent results I suspect you would need one of the high-end units that incorporate accelerometers and other physics into their speed output calculation to overcome the large lag GPS normally inherits from standing start. 

Something like this would probably give better results:  http://www.gmheng.com/speed_sensor.php