Tuning question - extrapolating tables?

M1tch

Hi all,

Quick question on this, I am new to mapping etc and will be getting my car professionally remapped on a dyno when the time comes to fire up my project engine.

My question is this, if I bolted on a smaller turbo to get the car mapped and it uses a MAF for the airflow, if I bolted on a larger turbo or turned the boost up slightly  would the mapping scale up correctly - eg the MAF would show a higher airflow and therefore use a different part of the map?

Just working out the most efficient way to remap the car in terms of reducing mapping time - do I go with the final engine setup or will it be ok to start with a smaller turbo for initial mapping - eg would the fuel and air tables scale up?

Kinda hard to explain what I mean!

I wouldnt bother with MAF unless you have very good calibration data for it.  Even with MAF it would be best to tune in its final setup as even though MAF should take care of fueling based on the measured air mass flow, there may be other variables introduced that make the engine more or less knock limited that the MAF cant account for.  Charge temps and combustion chamber temps for instance will change with turbo efficiency and boost pressure so I wouldnt like to assume the ignition map is still a good fit after such a change.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:33 AM, Adamw said:

I wouldnt bother with MAF unless you have very good calibration data for it.  Even with MAF it would be best to tune in its final setup as even though MAF should take care of fueling based on the measured air mass flow, there may be other variables introduced that make the engine more or less knock limited that the MAF cant account for.  Charge temps and combustion chamber temps for instance will change with turbo efficiency and boost pressure so I wouldnt like to assume the ignition map is still a good fit after such a change.

So converting over to a MAP sensor would be the better option then? I am guessing I would need to map the engine for the 'end goal' turbo rather than doing it in stages?

12 hours ago, M1tch said:

So converting over to a MAP sensor would be the better option then? I am guessing I would need to map the engine for the 'end goal' turbo rather than doing it in stages?

That would generally be how it's done.  What car/engine/ecu are we talking?

On 2/27/2018 at 1:31 AM, Adamw said:

That would generally be how it's done.  What car/engine/ecu are we talking?

Its a Mk3 Toyota MR2 with the 1zz engine - currently being fully built ready for a turbo etc, the Xtreme is wired in piggyback style using a boomslang harness owing to the fact that there are certain functions only the stock ECU can handle.

Is there a tutorial I can read so I can get it setup so I can actually fire the car up? I can see there are a few basemaps but none for the 1zz, the monsoon sample map won't have VVTi, the Xtreme black sample map I guess I could use but change it from a 6 cylinder or use the 1UZ basemap and change from 8 cylinder?

The ECU is currently just sitting on the side in the office until I can work out how to get a basemap sorted for it to be able to get it to fire up - its unlocked though so that's a start I guess.