PCLink Crashes While Logging

krohelm

I have a 2017 Lenovo Yoga 710 using Windows 10.  I've disabled auto-sleep while on battery.  I went for a drive, roughly 90 minutes, to capture a wide data set for honing my mixture map.  Upon return and looking at my laptop screen, I found PCLink had crashed some time earlier.

This is a typical experience driving and logging.  I frequently find PCLink crashing and losing my valuable logs.

My crash dialog box is still up, is there possibly a temporary folder under "AppData" or somewhere that the log data is cached before saving?  :-(  I tried to get a procdump and attempted to list file handles via sysinternals tools, but the process is not in a suitable state to retrieve anything out of it unfortunately.

Interesting, I have been through this process to hone mine too.  I also found that PC log files grow in file size very quickly if you log all ECU parameters.  Instead, I found that logging only what you need results in much smaller files (and faster laptop operation).  

Do you have internal ECU logging configured, that might be a way to retrieve your 90 minutes worth of data?  In my opinion, it's a good thing to have set up and running anyway.  Just make sure the ECU is logging the parameters in your mixture map filters (eg ECT, Overrun Fuel Cut, TP...).  I had great results using this method.

As for your original question, I'm afraid I don't know :-(    I guess you've searched for  *.llg ?

I don't get this problem on my MacBook Pro, i5 CPU and SSD when logging all parameters so I am guessing it might be speed or USB related if you two are having issues.

Best to log inside the ECU and then pull the log on a run anyway, it is also far safer to drive long distances because that urge to look over and see whats going on is too great.

Thanks Timmy.  I did search for llg files yes, but if there's a temporary file it almost certainly won't have llg as the extension.  I find ecu logging to be pretty inconvenient and limiting compared to logging all parameters on a computer, but yes I do log via ecu.  My ecu log was full though, as it often is due to the small storage space.

Clint, thanks for the thoughts, but I've got an i7, an NVME SSD and USB 3.0 on all my ports - pclink is not taxing in the slightest.  I've confirmed this by checking the pc equivalent of the activity monitor while logging.

I'm not a compulsive person, I can leave the laptop alone.  How useful is it to have all parameters logged?  It's reasonable to ask for a logging application to (1) not crash and (2) log even when it crashes isn't it?

My process is still sitting there, @Adamw any idea whether there's a temporary file or did it crash because it's buffering with a data structure (oom)...?  I think I tried to decompile pclink once to answer other questions, maybe I'll try that again today.

Thank you for the reply Dave!  I'm bummed about the lack of a temp file, but  I greatly appreciate your confirmation.

The machine has sleep disabled (been bitten by that one several times), and it did not sleep in that 90 minute period either - I always check.

I was not looking at my laptop and am unaware of how much memory it was using at the time of the crash.  The task manager does not list the process, but procdump shows a suspect message:

```

Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed. (0x8007012B, -2147024597)

```

Do you happen to cap PCLink memory to 2gb?

13 minutes ago, krohelm said:

Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed. (0x8007012B, -2147024597)

Do you happen to cap PCLink memory to 2gb?

No, but windows does.

Applications user address space is physically limited to 2GB for 32bit applications - you can't change this.

I'll +1 the solution to this issue for you.

In the mean time, go to the PC logging setup window, remove all, and only add what you really want to see:
image.png

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, mkiv said:

I am having similar issue (either run out of memory or pclink crashed ) on surface pro running windows 10

Any solution for this ? 

THanks.
LEO

On 3/5/2018 at 11:54 AM, EngineeringDave said:

In the mean time, go to the PC logging setup window, remove all, and only add what you really want to see: