Windows tablet power from USB?

Adzn3k

I'm looking at putting a windows tablet in my car to run pc link. 

The tablet I'm looking to buy is powered/charged by the micro USB. Would  the USB tuning cable be able to power the tablet or will I have to look at  powering it a different way. 

Shame there isn't an android version of pc link or even an app where we could have buttons to activate functions like high boost, anti lag, launch. 

There are exceptions, but most tablets with a single USB port cant charge and transfer data at the same time.  This is because the USB port normally has to power the device connected to it (such as a mouse).  Look for a tablet with two USB ports or one that is known to be able to do charge/data at the same time.  In either case, it will not get power from the ECU, you will have to provide another source.

Sorry to bump this. Also looking for a tablet. Have found a few that would suit, but they are no longer produced. Unfortunately even most tablets today don't have two USB ports for charging / data.

Does anyone know of any decent tablets to use? Will be fitted into my R32 skyline, so overall width can be around 210-220mm.

Thanks heaps.

I've got a windows tablet coming that has otg capability, from what I've been told I need to run a powered USB hub.

My only concern with running a powered usb hub to charge the tablet and connect to the ecu is the powered hub will most likely send power down the ecu tuning lead. Would that effect the ecu if it was plugged in to a powered hub? 

Perfect, 

The tablet I've gone for is a linx vision 8. It's some gaming streaming tablet thing comes with a dock that has a game controller built in to the sides, I recon I'll be able to remove the controller and mount the Dock where the stereo is in my gt4 

Yeah I've been looking at the pipo x11 which seems to be the perfect size, but not having a battery is putting me off a little bit. 

At the moment I think a battery powered tablet with OTG charging is the way to go. But, need to ensure that with a powered USB hub the device will charge and receive data from the ECU at the same time. Has anyone tested this? 

Also adzn3k, how much did you pay for your linx?? 

So I've decided to go with a pipo w2s.

Has OTG capability, dual boot win 10 and Android.

I have attached some pictures of a mock up on how it should fit in my R32 skyline. 

A right angle mini USB should fit, which will go back to a OTG USB hub which will then connect to the ecu. 

Have ordered the tablet from gearbest, so will update once it's in and I've got it working. 

received_1726449657376316.jpeg

received_1726446184043330.jpeg

On 09/03/2018 at 8:28 PM, Adzn3k said:

I'm picking up my linx vision 8 tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to mount it in front of the double din slot using the Dock that comes with the tablet

Keen to see what you do with this, been looking at these tablets myself

21 hours ago, Patches said:

Keen to see what you do with this, been looking at these tablets myself

I have installed pc link on to the tablet and started to have a play about with some layouts. 

It seems the pc link software runs really slow when the tablet I'd in tablet mode so Im running it in desktop mode this means you'll need a separate keyboard to input anything (I just bought a small Bluetooth one that has a track pad off ebay) 

I've yet to mount it on the dash as I've not had much time I'll try this weekend 

DSC_0738.JPG

On 3/15/2018 at 8:33 PM, GregM said:

Has anyone in New Zealand used this tablet from Noel Leeming?  https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers-tablets/laptops/laptop/window-w2008-10-1-tablet/prod160185.html

It has separate DC Power and 2 USB, one standard and one micro.

no, but am watching with interest how you get on with it!!

:)

On 3/18/2018 at 8:03 PM, MarcD said:

no, but am watching with interest how you get on with it!!

:)

It will be a couple of months before I need one, but will let you know when I do.  I was hoping someone else had tried it lol

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:17 AM, Tenny said:

Took my tablet 3 days to get from Hong Kong to Brisbane which I was super impressed with. That was through gearbest. 

Did a rough fit into the surround, then test fitted it properly this afternoon. 

20180318_194930.jpg

Looks good. Did the OTG adaptor allow charging and communication at the same time ?

Cheers

Stu