CAN BUS Output configuration question

Markus

Hi I am new to the forum 

I would like to configure the CAN output format but i have still a few questions

The output format i want to create is 11-BIT identifier + 8 Bytes payload 

All bits are 16 Bit Signed integer values in BIg Endian format 

I would like to define CAN ID's from 0x300 onwards to be output

What i have so far is in the first tab "CAN Setup Mode":

CAN Module :CAN1  Mode: User Defined  Bit Rate 1 MBits/s

Channel 1 Transmit User Stream1  CAN ID 300 Format :Normal 

This seems all still very clear to me  (my assumption is that ID300 is just the Start adress right ?)

Now when i define the frames :

Lets say Frame 1 would be for ID300

Parameter                Start         Width               Byte order  Type          Divider   Multiplier     Offset

Parameter 1              0               16                    MS First      Signed          1               1                    0

Parameter 2            16               16                    MS First      Signed          1               1                    0

Parameter 3            32               16                    MS First      Signed          1               1                    0

Parameter 4            48               16                    MS First      Signed          1               1                    0

How would i make Frame two to be at ID 310 for instance , do i just change the offset ?

Is my understanding correct that Offset is decimal ? so Decimal 16  = Hex 10  therefore offset 16 = ID310 ?

ID 310

Parameter                Start         Width               Byte order  Type          Divider   Multiplier     Offset

Parameter 1              0               16                    MS First      Signed          1               1                    16

Parameter 2            16               16                    MS First      Signed          1               1                    16

Parameter 3            32               16                    MS First      Signed          1               1                    16

Parameter 4            48               16                    MS First      Signed          1               1                    16

Am i correct with this assumtion ?

No, this is not what the offset is for.

For a compound message you will have to use a new channel for each new ID. 

So; Channel 1, Transmit User Stream1  CAN ID 300.

Channel 2, Transmit User Stream2  CAN ID 310.  etc.

Unfortunately, that means you can only send 6 different ID's/Frames.  Also note even though I used 300 in my example above, our ID's are in decimal so your "0x300" will actually be ID768

Often this limitation is overcome by using a sequential message, where many frames are sent using just 1 ID but with an "index" in the first byte (or somewhere else in the frame).  Is your device capable of decoding a sequential message?

Thanks for clarifying that . That was a good explanation .My Device is a Raspberry pi with CAN BUS hat and a Touch screen which  runs my own programmed software and is used as a Datalogger as well as a Graphical Dashboard . I have already implemented The Haltech V2 as well as the Adaptronic Protocol in my device  , so i wanted to make a CAN configuration file for the Link to output the data in either the Haltech or Adaptronic Format as i already implemented those in the software .

So just for a final clarification for my use case i would define my 6 channels one per ID  and leave the Offset always on 0  

The offset is just used to scale how the raw data is transmitted or received over CAN, just like the multiplier and divider do.  An example might be a channel like ECT that needs to cover a range of say -30°C to +120°C but most CAN systems use unsigned integers.  If you wanted to send this data out then you would put a +30 offset on it so that -30°C is sent over CAN as "0", and 120°C would be sent as "150", then of course you need the opposite scaling at the receiving end to translate it back into the right range.

I found this an interesting thread as I have been working on an MBED version of what Markus describes. 

I send 7 frames (one after the other) with an identifier in the first byte of the stream and another identifier at the end, which enables me to resync if corruption occurs.

It doesn't cater for corruption in the middle of my data stream, which so far I've not resolved.   Apart from using an oscilloscope to check the signal integrity, I'm not sure what to do?

I had wondered about splitting my stream into smaller messages and use multiple IDs.

Any ideas welcome?