ST185 ( 3sgte ) COP/1000cc injector help needed

DO1023

Hi all.

I recently got the g4+ pnp for the st185. I synced timing and got the car running with the stock distributor as well as 540cc injectors. I've since made the switch from stock ignition to a 1zz smart coil setup as well as bosch ev14 1000cc injectors provided by Link. I'm having some issues getting the car to start now. I've set the deatime values for the injectors as well as dwell for the coils and I believe they are wired correctly. The provider of the kit instructed me to turn off Ignition Drive 2-4 and turn on 5-8, which I did. I was also told to depin Aux 6 ( pin 52 ), which I also did. I had an issue with coil 1 getting extremely hot which led me to believe that they coils are either assigned incorrectly or the wiring is incorrect. This setup uses the cam trigger.

Wiring goes to the expansion slot on the ecu board. I believe it gets power from the OEM ignition coil connector.

Would anyone have some insight on this? Maybe I have settings configured wrong?

Thanks!

mr2_COP_1000cc.pclr

You'll notice that I changed the fuel model back to traditional for troubleshooting purposes.

7 hours ago, DO1023 said:

The provider of the kit instructed me to turn off Ignition Drive 2-4 and turn on 5-8, which I did. 

WTF?  This is completely wrong.  Only Ign1-4 will work.  Can you confirm your coils are connected to the 4pin square plug labelled "Ignition expansion"?  

7 hours ago, DO1023 said:

I was also told to depin Aux 6 ( pin 52 ),

Aux 6 is pin 63, not 52.  Pin 52 is DI2, AC request.  I see your map has Aux 6 set as tacho so I would expect you will need a wire connected to pin 63.

Fixed map attached.  Note you had your trigger offset at 360, normally it would be close to 0 on this car.  So in the attached map I have changed it to 0.  If it doesnt fire or kicks back then change it back to 360.  I only changed a few other minor things from your original setup; dwell reduced a little (I have found 1ZZ coils overheat with 2.4ms), ign 5-8 turned off, 1-4 turned back on, fuel master set to 8.

mr2_COP_1000cc fixed.pclr

Adam, they are not connected to the ignition expansion. The provider of the wiring harness has them connect to the other expansion on the board.

Does link provide a connector and pin kit for the ignition expansion plug? I'd be love to correct the wiring if that's the case.

20 hours ago, DO1023 said:

Adam, they are not connected to the ignition expansion. The provider of the wiring harness has them connect to the other expansion on the board.

Does link provide a connector and pin kit for the ignition expansion plug? I'd be love to correct the wiring if that's the case.

Oh dear...  Your coils are connected to analog inputs?

If you are in NZ then I think we have the ignition expansion loom in stock but if you are overseas then international shipping will rule out that option economically.  Thankfully it is quite a common connector that you should be able to find easily locally.  The connector you need is a 4 position Mini MATE-N-LOK.  You will find them at all common electronic suppliers and ebay etc.

Turns out I was sent the wrong harness! It seems that I have an early model board with that 4 pin connector you mentioned. However, I was sent a harness for the newer generation of the board with the 8 pin molex as the expandable ignition out put!

10 hours ago, DO1023 said:

Turns out I was sent the wrong harness! It seems that I have an early model board with that 4 pin connector you mentioned. However, I was sent a harness for the newer generation of the board with the 8 pin molex as the expandable ignition out put!

No it sounds more like whoever is advising you hasnt got a clue.  Even the later "V2-3" ECU doesnt have ign2-4 on the normal 8 pin expansion sockets.