Vipec i88 launch control

beemn

Just wondering how the launch control function works on the mini, I had seen the setting in the ecu and thought it might be handy in my mini challenge race car...my car has no ABS which means no t/c either. The one main thing I want to know is how does the car know when to go into launch and when not to?

I normally trigger it on either clutch or handbrake switch, you cant use any advanced features without a wheel speed sensor, but often a basic 2 step launch control is adequate.

For 2D, 3D and Rolling Start Strategies wheel speed sensor/s are required.

Often cars with ABS deletes from factors still have the sensor locations, so it might be as simple as adding an ABS sensor and a divide by 8 circuit to get the sensor frequency in range of the input.

Ok, I also have no clutch switch or hand brake switch ( had the clutch master out yesterday..it had no switch on it). The car did have race ABS unit which has since been removed before my ownership so will still have the ABS wheel sensors I think from memory. 

Those cars do normally have both a clutch switch and a hand brake switch, but it sounds like yours might be a fairly stripped out version.  The hand brake switch might still be there...  The handbrake switch comes in over CAN bus and is written to parameter "CAN DI 2".  You can view the CAN tab on the runtimes screen and see if CAN DIG 2 changes status when you pull the handbrake up.  It is does then we can use this for a basic launch control

7sAjVP3.png