idle issues,2004 ej257

Subielover78

ok, just hoping someone can help... ever since I put in my link ecu, ive had  issues with idle.. tried numerous things... nothing ever helped....    anyway the issue....

if I drive for about an hour, turn of the car, let it sit about 30 mins..  try to start.. falls on face and dies numerous times... I have to hold idle around 1000rpm for 10 seconds... then  it  will stay running....   once  every so often ever its  runiing.. if I back up, car dies, have to restart.....    also  when a/c is turned on... idle is not stable,  and  a few times.... it will not catch idle after compressor turns on... it  idles up,then  falls to 500 rpm.. struggles, then sometimes  just  dies...   if sent a few logs  to link with my map....   stumped...  sorry for rambling... any help would be appreciated... I do not tune...  and  this  never  happened  on my stock ecu....

Scott and Simon at Link , AND the tuner have looked at it... neither could find the issue... ...im thinking its in the e-throttle, and post start/ crank fueling? The tuner is a friend of mine, but he does not tune dbw cars, he mainly tunes 3sgte and jz engines.. i played around in some of the p.i.d. settings. And anti stall gain.... its def better , but still does the idle drop/stall after a small drive... 

Agree with Ken's thoughts here, a lot of this sounds more like fuel tune related rather than idle control.  If you have a lambda sensor connected then you can post a log here for us to have a look over.

Yes, I have an afr/lambda sensor.....  problem is, i cant recreate the issue in a log.. never seems to record it... ill attach two short logs from this morning, and the current map , that link tweaked a lil asap.. ill try to record the  failing restart tonight..

ffff.pclr

sorry there is a lot of logs, but  I wanted to make sure I caught the issues.... 

thanks for your time guys

Log 2018-04-1 8;27;44 pm.llg

Log 2018-04-1 7;36;24 pm.llg

Log 2018-04-1 7;13;12 pm.llg

Log 2018-04-1 7;07;30 pm.llg

Log 2018-04-1 7;02;07 pm.llg

Edited by Subielover78
finally caught the issues on the log

3 hours ago, Ken Dunkley said:

Could the intake manifold and IATs be hot after heat soak leaning out the mixture ? Then when you start it and fast idle for a few mins it normalizes? Just a thought - This can be easily compensated for if you find thats the problem.  

Im thinking it does has to do with heat soak,  as for the leaning out,  i havent noticed any lean fueling.. mainly overly rich

Your idle control is not working at all in the log due to no speed source selected (this is a bug, it should work with it turned off, but it doesnt).  Can you change speed lockout to match the settings below before doing more logs.

niORhBi.png

sure  ,  it was working before...but  never said the correct gear... I tried  inputing the actual gear ratios.. and  it  got wonky  on me.. I must of forgot to put that back to driven wheel speed..   but  it  still does the  hard starting thing  even  with the idel speed set up..  I was reading through the help guide on charge temp approximation....      would the new  setting   even  work if I tried it?  new map  attached

charge temp tweak.pclr

ill go  do another log  with it reset.... be right back

so I changed the speed lock out back to driven wheel speed... I no see gear changes in the logging... ?? lost on that....

here are the  new logs of trying to start with out holding the throttle open... then of course I had to a lil

and  one  of my  doing a cruise through the neighborhood

mmm.llg

mm.llg

m.llg

and now  my pclink will not  open or play any of my logs... :-(

So on those logs is lambda recorded ? I cant see it - am i missing something ? I dont see it on the parameter list or the time plot ? In any case the IATs are in the 80s from the start and even after a minute of running dont cool down much . Sorry if i missed the lambda reading but it still could be heat soak imo . 

Im agreeing with the heat soak... i dont know how to set up the logging parameters, i thought it was in there sonewhere...... i know it shows on the right while im recording.... 

And lambda, ive never used that term.. used to just hearing AFR.. .. so not sure what i need to setup in the logging

Well, any help fixing the issues would be appreciated... im not a tuner, my former tuner, no longer works at the shop. Closest shop that tunes link is over 2.5 hours away... i have a friend that helped get it better than it was, but he isnt available much...

So im far from being a tuner having only done my own car . But on those logs there is no iat compensation being applied that i can see . You should imo look up HP Academy - see what they have got with regard to learning how to tune . At least you can learn the basics through the courses they offer . But yeah the Charge temp approximation could be your issue . HP academy do a webinar on tuning this function . Or you can carefully go through it yourself by trial and error with logging results . This assumes of course that your main fuel table is correct to start with . And all other things such as what Adam said with your idle control function correctly .    

It appears to be your fuel tune around idle is lean as hell.  Imediately after startup CLL is disabled by the "startup timer", so its got barely enough fuel duroing this time to keep it running (lambda 1.3) - thats why you need to give it some throttle.  After the startup timer (30seconds) has timed out then CLL turns on, corrects your fuel mixture and it seems much happier.

Lets start by fixing some of the holes in your fuel map around the idle area.  Can you change all the red cells in your fuel table to match the example below.  Do another warm start up log once that has changed so we can see if that helps (it may still need more).

Also note your knock control is set up wrong.  The knock target table is all zeros so after a little bit of driving the knock control is applying maximum retard under all conditions (-3deg), this will probably make it feel noticeably less powerful after a short drive.  You should turn knock control off until someone experienced can tune it properly.

MYeuJ6y.png

here is the last map I know was working..somewhat ok...   knock is not all 0  . so , im not sure how  it got to 0

ffff.pclr

Ok, something is off... i compared two maps , one saved three hours after the other.. only adjustmentd done were to e-throttle calibration and map sensor ....   knock setup is totally diff between the two maps... Ive never touched any knock stuff.... wtf

Kind of off topic, but i have had a car that did something similar with the knock stuff recently.  

I tuned a car on the dyno, saved 4 different calibrations for the same car( runs different classes of racing ie need for 4 cals) all with knock control turned on.  

I recently remoted in via team viewer and all the knock control had been turned off.  Don't believe the customer did this.

The knock sections keep changing... they zero out, after i save them to my pc...  as brad above mentioned his did wonky stuff too... as for the logs... one of them I believe, shows the starting issue... its def heatsoak,  as i experienced it heavily last night... almost got hit twice ,due to the car stalling out at a stop light once it got hot outside...  im having a tuner look at it tonight, hopefully he can sort some of the problems  out . 

The knock sections keep changing... they zero out, after i save them to my pc...  as brad above mentioned his did wonky stuff too... as for the logs... one of them I believe, shows the starting issue... its def heatsoak,  as i experienced it heavily last night... almost got hit twice ,due to the car stalling out at a stop light once it got hot outside...  im having a tuner look at it tonight, hopefully he can sort some of the problems  out . 

Found the heat soak issue... need to relocate the iat... first tuner, put it in a bad spot... any suggestions of best place? Im running the smaller aem one... was in manifold between power steering and alternator... got super hot there... so we went back to the oem one for now