Knock control and Motorsport settings

Tim D

Hi - please could I have some guidence on knock control with motorsport options... (would you ever use both together?)

I have setup knock control, which I have verified works perfectly.

I also have Launch Control and can see from "Knk System Status" 
copied here:

0 = Active
1 = Lockout - RPM Low
2 = Lockout - RPM High
3 = Lockout - TP Low
4 = Lockout - TP Delta
5 = Lockout < 500 RPM
6 = Err: DI Feedback
7 = Startup Lockout
8 = OFF
9 = OFF: DI5 Pullup.
10 = Lockout - Launch Control

that knock control is disabled during Launch, which makes sense due to the increased sound levels that would otherwise cause false knock detection.

But what about Flat Foot Shifting, would you not want knock control disabled for the duration of this?

And finally, although setup quite conservatively, Anti Lag.  I set this up thinking that it would be beneficial for short sprints and hill climbs (no more than 1 mile!).  It's currently setup to reduce lag, rather than create lots of low down power.

Any tips welcome, I'm no expert! 

Thanks

9 hours ago, TimmyD said:

But what about Flat Foot Shifting, would you not want knock control disabled for the duration of this?

Yes it could potentially be an issue especially if you are using ignition cut.  Having said that I have only ever had a couple of guys have an issue with this.  Usually you can just set your RPM lockout to just below the shift point to solve that.  For one user we had to put a timer on one axis of the knock target table, the timer was reset by gear shift status, so every time a gear shift occurred it adjusted the knock target slightly higher for a few tenths of a second. 

Lockout for antilag would normally be taken care of by the "TP Low" lockout as the antilag is only active with throttle closed when knock control is not needed.

To run anti-lag be aware you will need to convert your brakes to a pedal box or something like an electric vacuum pump as you will no longer have manifold vacuum to drive a booster. 

Thank you for the fast response Adam.

Just to check I understand you correctly:

1. FFS...  set  "RPM High Lockout" for knock control to a value just below the RPM that I'd change gear?

2. if antilag is active when TP is 30%, set "TP Low Lockout" in Knock Setup to be, say 31%?

Re your advice on antilag, thank you, I have it set to give around 70 kpa at most when off throttle, so still have some vacuum for brakes.  Turbo lag is reduced, but I guess it's not what you'd call 'proper antilag' ?  I don't have an EGT sensor, so am cautious of overdoing it!!  Would appreciate your comments on this one? 

Thanks

13 hours ago, TimmyD said:

1. FFS...  set  "RPM High Lockout" for knock control to a value just below the RPM that I'd change gear?

Correct, your shift RPM is typically way past your torque peak so risk of knock is low by then.

2. if antilag is active when TP is 30%, set "TP Low Lockout" in Knock Setup to be, say 31%?

Correct, again cylinder pressure is low at 30% throttle so there little risk of knock under this condition.

Re your advice on antilag, thank you, I have it set to give around 70 kpa at most when off throttle, so still have some vacuum for brakes.  Turbo lag is reduced, but I guess it's not what you'd call 'proper antilag' ?  I don't have an EGT sensor, so am cautious of overdoing it!!  Would appreciate your comments on this one? 

Im not sure if that sounds like enough for any noticeable antilag effect, I would expect positive pressure in most cases.